unRAID Server Release 6.0.0-x86_64 Available

My default firewall configuration blocks outbound communication.

Can you please elaborate?  I'm assuming you mean you've configured your router to block outbound communication in some form, is that correct?  If so, is that specifically restricted for only your server, and not your other client devices (laptops/desktops/mobile/etc)?

Client devices (PCs, laptops, phones) have unrestricted internet access, and other devices (servers, appliances, media players, etc) have strictly defined access.  By default, that's no egress, and access is granted on a case by case basis where required.

Is there a proper way to install plugins without internet access? 

A plugin is essentially a script which typically executes commands to download packages of software from the internet to your server, then install them using the installpkg command.  If your firewall configuration prohibits the unRAID server from talking to the Internet, then your only recourse is to manually download all the software packages required through a proxy device, then copy them all to the appropriate places on the flash devices (/boot/config/plugins for .plg files and /boot/extra for packages, and manually repeat this process over and over anytime there is an update.  This will also hold true for downloading unRAID Server OS updates.  If your system cannot connect to the Internet directly, you will have to resort to manually copying files to your flash device each time through a proxy device.

To be clear, I like the automatic update checking and installation functionality, I just don't like to depend on it exclusively.  In the case of unRAID updates, this isn't a problem, as the manual upgrade process has been historically well defined.  I'm just not clear on what to do with the Dynamix plugins.  I tried copying the plg to /boot/config/plugins and the txz file to /boot/extra, but that didn't work, likely because I'm misusing the txz file.  It would be great if the post with download links to the plg files also had links to download the packages, and brief instructions on how to install locally.

unRAID requires Internet access to register a trial key for your system or to request an extension, but key files can be installed by downloading them through a proxy device and then copying to the flash device over the network.  Paid registration keys can be purchased from our website by simply providing the GUID from the webGui Registration page (under Tools).

It also requires Internet access if you do not have a local SMTP server and wish to utilize e-mail notifications.

Thanks for the clarification.  For the purpose of building firewall rules, are you able to define the IPs/URLs that are required?  I looked at a couple of scripts and noted that they download from "raw.github.com:443", but I'm not sure what else is required for proper updates.  Allowing raw.github.com is not enough.

I (understandably) don't have access to update the unRAID 6 documentation on the wiki, but it would be great to document network requirements. 

- NTP (user configurable, default = pool.ntp.org UDP 123 or whatever)

- SMTP (user configurable)

- Key registration/extension (?)

- Update checking/installation (raw.github.com TCP 443)

By the way, thanks for taking the time to answer this sort of question.  I appreciate the size of unRAID's team, so I imagine that your focus is on implementing solid core functionality, leaving limited time for this sort of thing.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Client devices (PCs, laptops, phones) have unrestricted internet access, and other devices (servers, appliances, media players, etc) have strictly defined access.  By default, that's no egress, and access is granted on a case by case basis where required.

Many of the new features, especially dockers, will require the server to access the internet. "Normal" use of unRAID v6 as just a NAS will also need internet access for updates and notifications. Notifications alone are enough reason to have V6 instead of V5. Might be possible to configure something on the LAN to receive notifications.

...It would be great if the post with download links to the plg files also had links to download the packages, and brief instructions on how to install locally.

You can examine the plugin files for these links. Most aren't going to be interested in doing it this way and providing these instructions would probably just confuse them.

It also requires Internet access if you do not have a local SMTP server and wish to utilize e-mail notifications.

I see jonp already mentioned how to get notifications locally.

...I (understandably) don't have access to update the unRAID 6 documentation on the wiki, but it would be great to document network requirements. 

- NTP (user configurable, default = pool.ntp.org UDP 123 or whatever)

- SMTP (user configurable)

- Key registration/extension (?)

- Update checking/installation (raw.github.com TCP 443)

I think you probably do have access to update at least the "unofficial" part of the wiki, which is where the upgrade guide people have been linking to resides. Maybe you could put in some of this after you get it working for yourself.

I think you probably do have access to update at least the "unofficial" part of the wiki, which is where the upgrade guide people have been linking to resides. Maybe you could put in some of this after you get it working for yourself.

I'm happy to add the documentation.  Hopefully I can get some assistance in understanding the behavior of the script, and the network requirements.

Can someone tell me where I set a share to be "cache only" ?

Is it the "Use cache disk: = ONLY" ?

For some reason after my upgrade the mover has tried moving files from what I had previously set as a cache only share.

Yes that is the right setting. If those shares have already been moved you should find them on the other drives and either move them back to cache or delete them.

For some reason after my upgrade the mover has tried moving files from what I had previously set as a cache only share.

Yes that is the right setting. If those shares have already been moved you should find them on the other drives and either move them back to cache or delete them.

OK thanks, this setting does not seem to have been preserved as part of the upgrade process.

OK thanks, this setting does not seem to have been preserved as part of the upgrade process.

Did you copy the config/shares folder? That is where these settings would be, one .cfg file for each share you have configured (any share that you didn't configure wouldn't have one).

Did you copy the config/shares folder? That is where these settings would be, one .cfg file for each share you have configured (any share that you didn't configure wouldn't have one).

Ohhh I see... I think either that bit is missing from the guide or I missed it..!  I'm sure the guide said not to copy any folders at all from the config folder.  <runs off to check>

I presume then the actual shares themselves are defined in one of the other XMLs?

Ohhh I see... I think either that bit is missing from the guide or I missed it..!  I'm sure the guide said not to copy any folders at all from the config folder.  <runs off to check>

I presume then the actual shares themselves are defined in one of the other XMLs?

unRAID automatically makes shares of any folders at the root of cache or any array drive. If you have configured a share, it will also have a .cfg file in config/shares folder. If you don't configure it unRAID gives it defaults, some of which are "use all disks" and "use cache: yes" (not only). It worked this way in V5 also.

unRAID automatically makes shares of any folders at the root of cache or any array drive. If you have configured a share, it will also have a .cfg file in config/shares folder. If you don't configure it unRAID gives it defaults, some of which are "use all disks" and "use cache: yes" (not only). It worked this way in V5 also.

Thanks for your help - it looks like I missed this step as it is actually there in the guid  :-[

I'll tell you what confused me though - I initially thought I was having issues writing to my cache drive (ssd) at a slow speed of around 60MB/s (I saw 100MB/s previously).  However this means that I was actually writing to the array at that speed instead!!  Thats double what I ever used to see writing to the array..  :o

It does at one point to stop you copy all the folders, but a few steps later makes a special case for the config/shares folder.

I update 3 servers to 6 final. I observed that the top of the screen, where the logo is, on 2 servers is just plain white and on the third it shows 2 surfer guys. Does this picture show at random or is it a setting?

It is controlled by Settings->Display Settings->Show banner image.

I update 3 servers to 6 final. I observed that the top of the screen, where the logo is, on 2 servers is just plain white and on the third it shows 2 surfer guys. Does this picture show at random or is it a setting?

Settings ==> Display Settings ==> Banner Image  ;)

Is it normal that everytime i'm doing a transfer to an smb share and i change a docker setting in the gui, my transfer speed falls to 0 and failes afterwards?

I'm running my server bare metal now, to convert from esxi.

But i'm having a VERY hard time with it because every large file transfer failes every time...

Even without touching anything, transfer speeds drop from 100MB/s to 30 nearly halfway the transfer.

It then goes on to 0 and fails.

No error's are shown in the syslog...

only these entry's :

docker0: port 2(vethc95a04b) entered forwarding state

Edit: Also happens in safe mode

I just upgraded from beta14b and now it won't mount my array, saying my flash device is blacklisted.  WTH??? I have a pro license.

What kind of flash device is it? Some don't have unique GUIDs. You might get quicker response if PM or email limetech directly.

Is it normal that everytime i'm doing a transfer to an smb share and i change a docker setting in the gui, my transfer speed falls to 0 and failes afterwards?

I'm running my server bare metal now, to convert from esxi.

But i'm having a VERY hard time with it because every large file transfer failes every time...

Even without touching anything, transfer speeds drop from 100MB/s to 30 nearly halfway the transfer.

It then goes on to 0 and fails.

No error's are shown in the syslog...

only these entry's :

docker0: port 2(vethc95a04b) entered forwarding state

30-40 MB/s is normal for parity writes. The 100 MB/s initial would be network bottleneck writing to memory-buffered I/O on unRAID, then falling to 30-40 when buffer fills.

Falling to zero and failing is not normal though.

Are you writing to cache or direct to parity array?

I just upgraded from beta14b and now it won't mount my array, saying my flash device is blacklisted.  WTH??? I have a pro license.

What kind of flash device is it? Some don't have unique GUIDs. You might get quicker response if PM or email limetech directly.

It's a Kingston MobileLite G4 Reader.  I don't understand why it would just stop working after an update.

It's a Kingston MobileLite G4 Reader.  I don't understand why it would just stop working after an update.

You may have been the first to register the GUID, then when someone else tried to register that reader, the GUID was identical to yours, and you can't have multiple devices with the same GUID used as a unique identifier for licensing purposes, so they blacklisted the GUID. Very few card readers present unique GUID's, there was a thread discussing which ones could be licensed and which couldn't somewhere.

I bought the same reader for a new server. It also showed up as blacklisted...

Gdammit, if you're going to blacklist already purchased GUIDs/Keys, can they not have the courtesy to send out an email to currently licensed folks warning them to change their usb drives before we find out inadvertently with an update?  :D  Sorry to rant, wife is complaining about her Plex being down  :o