unRAID Server Release 6.0.0-x86_64 Available

I just upgraded from beta14b and now it won't mount my array, saying my flash device is blacklisted.  WTH??? I have a pro license.

What kind of flash device is it? Some don't have unique GUIDs. You might get quicker response if PM or email limetech directly.

It's a Kingston MobileLite G4 Reader.  I don't understand why it would just stop working after an update.

See here
  • Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry to rant, wife is complaining about her Plex being down  :o

We feel your pain...

But how are they meant to tell whose key is blacklisted.

I'm sure they'll sort it for you quick pronto if you email LimeTech, they've always been very good about licensing issues.  ;)

We feel your pain...

I'm sure they'll sort it for you quick pronto if you email LimeTech, they've always been very good about licensing issues.  ;)

You will need another flash though.

Ah, but presumably, they blacklist when someone tries to register an already registered GUID (in this case, mine).  Why can't they send an email to the person who registered the GUID first, since they have the email of the person that purchased the key? 

No worries, Tom already replied to my email; now I just have to dig up an old flash drive.

Ah, but presumably, they blacklist when someone tries to register an already registered GUID (in this case, mine).  Why can't they send an email to the person who registered the GUID first, since they have the email of the person that purchased the key? 

No worries, Tom already replied to my email; now I just have to dig up an old flash drive.

One more thought, I don't know if it applies to you but I seem to remember reading that USB3 ports can be flaky as well.  I'm using USB3 flash in a USB2 slot no problem though..

Don't want you having any more problems  ;)

We feel your pain...

You will need another flash though.

Agree ... LimeTech is generally very quick at responding to these kind of issues.  But as trurl noted, you'll need another flash drive, so the quickest way to resolve this is to get that flash drive; install a copy of UnRAID on it;  boot to it and get the GUID; and then send LimeTech a note detailing your situation and providing them with the new GUID you need to transfer your key to.  Don't assign anything to that -- you don't want to actually USE it until you get the new key.

Note:  As a QUICK way to resolve the "wife can't use Plex" issue, you should be able to just copy the Beta 14b files back and run with it until you get the new flash drive and replacement key.    When you get the new key, you can copy all of the files from your current blacklisted device, but replace the key file with the new one ... and it should then boot fine.  Then you can upgrade to v6.0 without issue.

... No worries, Tom already replied to my email; now I just have to dig up an old flash drive.

Well, I said they were quick  :) :)

... but you might want to think twice about whether you want to "... dig up an old flash drive."    A nice new one is likely to be more reliable and will likely have more space.

You may not want to use an "OLD" Flash Drive.  You probably want a newer one with about an 8Gb size.  (I seem to recall that the writes of data to Flash drives are spread across the available space so that the drive lasts longer. Basically, this means it does not write to the same spot on the drive all the time.)

... No worries, Tom already replied to my email; now I just have to dig up an old flash drive.

... but you might want to think twice about whether you want to "... dig up an old flash drive."    A nice new one is likely to be more reliable and will likely have more space.

The man has his wife demanding Plex!!!  I think he just wants to get out of the dog house, I'm sure he'll be able to upgrade it to a nice shiny new one when he gets a minute either through the gui or by emailing Tom..

An upset wife is something I'd rather avoid and I suspect it's something we've all experienced and just about lived to regret...

The man has his wife demanding Plex!!!  I think he just wants to get out of the dog house, I'm sure he'll be able to upgrade it to a nice shiny new one when he gets a minute either through the gui or by emailing Tom..

An upset wife is something I'd rather avoid and I suspect it's something we've all experienced and just about lived to regret...

Just reverting to Beta 14b should resolve that until he gets a new flash drive.

Ah, good call, I'm going to do that as a temporary measure; in my panic, I'd forgotten about the auto-backup.  Thanks for the reminder!

And thanks everyone else also for the help; I reconsidered that old drive and just ordered a new one  :D  Finally an excuse to try out that 2-hour free amazon delivery....

Ah, good call, I'm going to do that as a temporary measure; in my panic, I'd forgotten about the auto-backup.  Thanks for the reminder!

And thanks everyone else also for the help; I reconsidered that old drive and just ordered a new one  :D  Finally an excuse to try out that 2-hour free amazon delivery....

Right, I apologize for this.  You are correct: we should send out an email to current registered key holder when/if it gets blacklisted & we'll start doing exactly that.

Client devices (PCs, laptops, phones) have unrestricted internet access, and other devices (servers, appliances, media players, etc) have strictly defined access.  By default, that's no egress, and access is granted on a case by case basis where required.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion.  Better to ask than assume.

To be clear, I like the automatic update checking and installation functionality, I just don't like to depend on it exclusively.  In the case of unRAID updates, this isn't a problem, as the manual upgrade process has been historically well defined.  I'm just not clear on what to do with the Dynamix plugins. I tried copying the plg to /boot/config/plugins and the txz file to /boot/extra, but that didn't work, likely because I'm misusing the txz file.  It would be great if the post with download links to the plg files also had links to download the packages, and brief instructions on how to install locally.

All plugins that are added to unRAID post-installation are supported by the community exclusively.  If the community doesn't wish to support manual installations for your needs, I think you're probably out of luck.  Keep in mind, you're asking others to go through more work to satisfy your desire of eliminating egress to your server.  Again, I understand the security-conscious mindset, but it's a choice and this choice comes with a trade-off:  security over ease-of-use.

Thanks for the clarification.  For the purpose of building firewall rules, are you able to define the IPs/URLs that are required?  I looked at a couple of scripts and noted that they download from "raw.github.com:443", but I'm not sure what else is required for proper updates.  Allowing raw.github.com is not enough.

I'm sorry but no, I can't.  Certainly not for plugins.  Plugins can literally install anything from any location and it's up to the plugin author what they put in there.  Plugins are not managed, maintained, or supported by Lime Technology directly.

I can tell you that unRAID Server OS itself uses Github to notify you of updates available and then downloads occur from our Amazon S3 account exclusively.

I (understandably) don't have access to update the unRAID 6 documentation on the wiki, but it would be great to document network requirements. 

- NTP (user configurable, default = pool.ntp.org UDP 123 or whatever)

- SMTP (user configurable)

- Key registration/extension (?)

- Update checking/installation (raw.github.com TCP 443)

By the way, thanks for taking the time to answer this sort of question.  I appreciate the size of unRAID's team, so I imagine that your focus is on implementing solid core functionality, leaving limited time for this sort of thing.

No problem on replying.  We knew there would be at least one person out there that would run into this potentially, but because it's such an uncommon use case, diverting resources to documenting this for you is just not going to happen anytime soon.  The community here is pretty helpful though, so maybe ask around from those that maintain the plugins you want and see if they can assist you.

Wish I could be more helpful here, but just trying to be realistic as far as setting expectations.

Just a thought here and it may not be possible, but would it be a good idea to reconfigure the forums slightly?  A lot of people upgrading from V5 seem to have problems finding plugins for V6 and it is in a slightly unusual location and not completely intuitive.

Perhaps moving it under the V6 section and calling it maybe plugins?

Just a thought here and it may not be possible, but would it be a good idea to reconfigure the forums slightly?  A lot of people upgrading from V5 seem to have problems finding plugins for V6 and it is in a slightly unusual location and not completely intuitive.

Just to continue on this thought (even though it is OT for this thread -> should be more of caveats of upgrading, etc)

Over time I have found it hard to find certain plugins when there has been little activity on their respective support threads (doesn't mean that they don't work - could just mean that there is zero problems with them)

The docker templates thread was born because of the same issue I found with the repositories.  I think that RobJ did an awesome job in cataloging the "most important" ones in the upgrading to v6 wiki (although he did miss some of the other not quite as popular plugins which were designed for v6).  Short of someone outright going through the entire plugins board and cataloging them, verifying that they do indeed work work v6, and then maintaining the list on an ongoing basis, its pretty much a lost cause. 

Just to continue on this thought (even though it is OT for this thread -> should be more of caveats of upgrading, etc)

Over time I have found it hard to find certain plugins when there has been little activity on their respective support threads (doesn't mean that they don't work - could just mean that there is zero problems with them)

The docker templates thread was born because of the same issue I found with the repositories.  I think that RobJ did an awesome job in cataloging the "most important" ones in the upgrading to v6 wiki (although he did miss some of the other not quite as popular plugins which were designed for v6).  Short of someone outright going through the entire plugins board and cataloging them, verifying that they do indeed work work v6, and then maintaining the list on an ongoing basis, its pretty much a lost cause.

Would it be possible for LT to have a database? If you design a plugin you register it with the database?!

I think that RobJ did an awesome job in cataloging the "most important" ones in the upgrading to v6 wiki (although he did miss some of the other not quite as popular plugins which were designed for v6).  Short of someone outright going through the entire plugins board and cataloging them, verifying that they do indeed work work v6, and then maintaining the list on an ongoing basis, its pretty much a lost cause.

Maybe a job for the marvelous Squid and it's plugin design capability!

Would it be possible for LT to have a database? If you design a plugin you register it with the database?!

I can't speak for LT, but I don't see that happening for a couple of reasons (which also coincide with the reasons why I won't do it -> either a dedicated thread or a CA type thing)

• My personal opinion (which LT has also stated publicly) is that plugins are ideally for OS maintenance not 3rd party applications
  • It will take DAYS (solid) to go through the existing plugin board to determine which plugs work with v6 and which don't
  • Some (very few) v6 plugins are only compatible with certain versions of v6
  • If an author of a plugin is no longer active in the forum (and therefore does not "register") does not mean that his/her plugins no longer work or no longer have relevance.
  • The basis of such a list has already been created by RobJ in the upgrading to v6 wiki, and any member of this forum has the ability to edit the wiki entries for plugins which they feel are not present or given the exposure they feel that they deserve.

The wiki already has all of the dynamix plugins, overbryns, Phazes.  It is missing VirtualBox, the TVHeadEnd's, and my two other minor ones.  Given the amount of work involved for something that is slowly being deprecated, and the fact that anyone can edit the wiki themselves and add their plugins to it, I would have to say that it is the appropriate venue to keep track of the available plugins.

I think that RobJ did an awesome job in cataloging the "most important" ones in the upgrading to v6 wiki (although he did miss some of the other not quite as popular plugins which were designed for v6).  Short of someone outright going through the entire plugins board and cataloging them, verifying that they do indeed work work v6, and then maintaining the list on an ongoing basis, its pretty much a lost cause.

I knew that was going to come up in conversation, and my answer is "I can't do something that I don't believe in...  And I don't believe in plugins for 3rd party applications"

I knew that was going to come up in conversation, and my answer is "I can't do something that I don't believe in...  And I don't believe in plugins for 3rd party applications"

My plugins are crying out loud right now.....  :'(

My plugins are crying out loud right now.....  :'(

Feel free to edit: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6#Other_Plugins
It's a Kingston MobileLite G4 Reader.  I don't understand why it would just stop working after an update.

Limetech have discovered that the MobileLite G4 does not have a unique GUID.  I purchased two of these devices and they both have the same ID.

This means that this device cannot be used for licensing purposes.

Forum reorg is also on the never ending to do list. It will probably happen this weekend so long as I can get my video projects done this week.