Unraid V6.2 Beta 19 DVB Files

Yeah, I get that, all your log says to me is what I thought already, your card doesn't have the firmware loaded.  I'll try and put together a script that you can run and it'll decompress bzroot and copy firmware files and recompress bzroot.

Only problem is, you'll need to do this for every new version of Unraid. 

I'll write the script if you want, but you do have the option of a HDHomeRun which as I've said and someone else has mentioned is by far a better option.

Let me know and I'll put together a script.

I will take you up on your offer and take the script. I have a HDHomeRun Extend right in front of me right now and will start playing with that right now and see if I like it better but I'm sure even if I don't end up keeping the Hauppauge card there might be someone else that will want to take advantage of it or possibly be able to refine your script so there won't be a need to rerun it with each Unraid update.

I really appreciate all of your help.

I don't dispute that someone else may find it useful, which is why I offered, but there will be no way around it, it will 100% be need to run on each Unraid update.  Give me a few days and I'll put something together.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which do you like better? TVHeadEnd or MythTv and how do you run them? VM Mythubuntu/TVubuntu or Docker?

I prefer TVHeadEnd and I run it via a docker container and use Kodi as a frontend.

Nearly finished that script.

You should have 4 firmware files already.  Make a directory called firmware on your cache drive and put those 4 files in there.  They should be

NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw
dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw
v4l-saa7164-1.0.2.fw
v4l-saa7164-1.0.3.fw

From reading the link I posted you earlier you may only need the first file listed above.

Now from your cache directory run

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/CHBMB/Unraid-DVB/Development/other_scripts/firmware-add.sh
chmod +x firmware-add.sh
firmware-add.sh

A new bzroot file will be copied into /mnt/cache/ replace the existing bzroot file on your flash drive and see if the additional firmware works.

EDIT: Make sure firmware is set to cache only as effectively you're creating a new share.  Or you could delete it after the script has run.

I did as you suggested and even with the new bzroot file the card is still not recognized. I added the TVHeadend docker and I can see my HDHomeRun listed but not the Hauppauge card.

I may just go along with your first suggestion and use the HDHomeRun. I finally got it configured on my network and am able to stream OTA TV but I can't make sense of TVHeadend. Haven't tried MythTV yet. Any good tutorials that you can recommend? Just looking to record OTA TV in my area and nothing else.

TVHeadend needs a cookie from the TV.com website since it's one of the Sites that can be used to configure Channels and those Channels need to be applied to the WebConfig file. Isn't there any easier way of doing this where the docker/plugin application just uses the HDHomerun and Antenna to find sources and then add them to the application?

I did as you suggested and even with the new bzroot file the card is still not recognized. I added the TVHeadend docker and I can see my HDHomeRun listed but not the Hauppauge card.

I may just go along with your first suggestion and use the HDHomeRun. I finally got it configured on my network and am able to stream OTA TV but I can't make sense of TVHeadend. Haven't tried MythTV yet. Any good tutorials that you can recommend? Just looking to record OTA TV in my area and nothing else.

TVHeadend needs a cookie from the TV.com website since it's one of the Sites that can be used to configure Channels and those Channels need to be applied to the WebConfig file. Isn't there any easier way of doing this where the docker/plugin application just uses the HDHomerun and Antenna to find sources and then add them to the application?

Yeah, I think the HDHomeRun is your best bet, I don't know of any tutorials but I found TVHeadEnd pretty straightforward myself.  Can't help with the TV.com stuff as it's not required for my setup.  The TVHeadEnd thread by Saarg is pretty active and I know there are other HDHomeRun users around so that may be a good place to start.

We can talk about the setup of tvheadend in my thread  :) Just make a post there and I'll guide you through.

Still found at /mnt/cache I presume?

I have zero files in my cache directory/disk. The MediaTreeCheck shows the following:

Media Tree:      Detected

DVB Adapter:  Not Detected

I'm pretty sure you're using the firmware for the HVR-2250, which is the old model that recently went EOL. Linux drivers for your card, the follow-on HVR-2255, were published last month. You can download them from the Hauppauge website. They are also included in the 4.2 Linux kernel. Do I need to ask the OpenELEC maintainer to include the drivers in his next patch?

It looks like I'm trying to do the opposite of you -- move away from HDHomerun to a PCIe card. HDHomerun tuners are extremely reliable and serve streams over HTTP, but they're another box, ethernet cable and wall wart to deal with. One of the major appeals of UnRAID for me is (stably!) consolidating functionality into one box, a process I'd like to carry as far as possible.

Kodi 16 and TVHeadend 4.2 have made a lot of progress, especially with respect to time-shifting. Things were buggy enough in the recent past that TVHeadend was moved to Kodi's unofficial app repository. AFIAK, there is still one major long-standing bug where playing back an in-progress recording won't update the recording size, causing the user the get kicked out to the home menu when playback reaches live TV. Otherwise, I think it may be ready for primetime as a DVR.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it usually works.....

Thanks for posting though as I've changed the build process (again) so good to know it works,  all my tests were OK on 6.1.8 but it's difficult to test something when you don't actually have the hardware....

Anyone looking for the V6.2 beta files, I'm working on it, got the packages required to build sorted as that's all changed, need to run some tests to see exactly how it all works and exactly what the new bzroot-gui file means and I've got my in-laws to stay over the weekend, so realistically it's going to be next week sometime by the time I have anything useful I think.

Will keep you posted..  ;)

V6.2 Beta 18 is up.

There are now three files involved in the DVB build

1.  bzimage

2.  bzroot

3.  bzroot-gui

The bzroot-gui file is common across all types of build, it is the same for stock Unraid, TBS, OpenElec & Digital Devices Experimental.  Accordingly, you can just keep the stock one that is installed.

Bzroot & Bzimage must be replaced as normal.

These are beta releases for Unraid and should be treated as such.  I will not be responsible for any data loss. 

As always I have not modified the core Unraid files at all, merely added in Kernel options for DVB support and added some extra drivers.  However the build processes and packages required are very different now LimeTech has upgraded the base Slackware system from "14.1" to "Current", which is what took me so long...  ::)

I'm currently running the TBS build and it's working fine both booted regular and gui..  8)

If someone does test either the OpenElec build or the DDExp build I'd be very grateful if they could report back so I at least get some confirmation the new build process is working for these.

Beta Builds Are Here.

V6.2 Beta 19 is up.

A LOT of credit to [bRiT] and Sparklyballs for this release.  The change to slackware-current has thrown up some new challenges in the compiling in terms of grabbing the necessary packages, but a nifty solution was shown to me by [bRiT] after the initial idea from Sparklyballs.

See the link in the first post.

I'm not sure if the Digital Devices Experimental Drivers are still compiling correctly on the new kernel.  The repository hasn't been updated for 8 months and it looks like work on them has ground to a halt. 

Be nice if someone could test and let me know.  ;)

Digital Device Experimental definitely won't compile on Kernels after ~4.3.  No development has taken place on the repo for over 8 months but I may have found a solution, if it doesn't work then I'm going to have to abandon the ddexp builds until a fix is posted.  :-[

Good news for the Digital Devices Experimental build...  :)

The OpenSource TBS drivers also had the same problem I was running into with not being able to compile on kernel versions later than 4.3 and looking at what they did and applying it to the Digital Devices Experimental build worked.

I'm uploading the beta releases of ddexp V6.2 Beta 18 & Beta 19 now.

For anyone that has been compiling themselves there is a file in my github repo to patch the mercurial download before compiling it.

The file is here.  And the instructions for installing it would be.

wget https://github.com/CHBMB/Unraid-DVB/raw/master/files/ddexp-patch.zip
cd $D
hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/~endriss/media_build_experimental/
cd media_build_experimental
make download
make untar
unzip -o $D/ddexp-patch.zip
make -j $(nproc)
make install

Good work!  :D

So you are becoming a kernel hacker also now  ;D

More of a skilled googler I think is a better way of saying it...  ;D

Although not bad for someone that didn't know bash at all just over a year ago...  ;)

Lol!

It is a miraculous change the last year  :P  ;D

Talking seriously, you have made dvb very easily accessible for unraiders, and that is worth a big shout out!  :D

• Squid locked this topic