[FEATURE REQUEST] Differentiate between"files are on unprotected storage" types

Perhaps use a green triangle on the shares page (as I noted before) in lieu of the yellow triangle.  Cached shares would then get either a green triangle or a green circle;  cache-only shares would always have the green triangle.

The only difference is that the symbol that means "Some or all files are on unprotected storage" would be green instead of yellow .. but if that makes folks feel better, so be it  :)

I agree but I want to make the point again that this is more than a "make folks feel better" option. We should never have a warning triangle for a legitimate user configuration. This is more than semantics as it breeds complacency i.e. orange is ok here so subconsciously users can ignore "safe" warnings . Users should be actively encouraged to rid their setup of warning and errors. I agree this is arguably an edge case so if we are sticking with the orange triangle we need to present them information why they have this triangle and how and why they can get rid of it. They shouldnt need to "hit the books" to understand.

Early days I am sure we will settle on something in time.

• 2 years later...
Just now, stormense said:

This confuse me. I´m unprotected or not? 

gass.png

It means that some of the files within that share are currently sitting on the cache drive.  Common and easy way for that to happen is to have the share being written to while use cache disk was set to only, yes, or prefer.  And the subsequently switching the share to use cache no, but before mover ran.

The fix is to change the setting to be use cache disk yes, run mover from the main tab, then switch it back.  If there were no errors (ie: no files were in use), then it should now be fully protected.

• Upvote 2
  • 5 years later...
On 6/19/2015 at 9:41 AM, gundamguy said:

Right now it basically says "Caution! Everything is working properly!"

Hah.  Made me laugh.  But I must agree, that is how I feel about it.  Here is an enlargement of what i think we are talking about:

image.png.76214c58f8286191e53027f23b873174.png                     

or    image.png.533f82fd52e311211941785e3720a884.png      

I am not expecting protection for anything that is not on the array with parity. 

If it is a share with cache set to yes or prefer, then indicate unprotected with a gray circle.  And the tooltip says "Files on cache that are not cache pools are normally unprotected from a failure."

If it is a share that is only on hard drives, then show the orange triangle.

Also, sometimes I think it means it is unprotected from virus attack, or from not having password protection.  But it is only referring to drive failures.

"Caution! Everything is working properly!"  Hah hah hah hah.  🤣

Edited by xrqp