[SOLVED] Clean upgrade to 6.0-figrin_dan

Hi, I'm trying to do the same I think.

I have been using the free 5.0beta12 for a while and now need to add some drives which I believe I need to update to V6 first. My first step was to install the zipped 6.0.0 files onto a new USB drive. I then copied the config folder from the old USB drive (except go). It all boots up ok and I entered a new trial key and all looks normal.

I only use it as a media server for an old popcorn hour popbox, this is where the problem lies. The popbox doesn't seem to see the media jukebox and if I run (YAMJ) and point to the jukebox it will see it but then will not run the media (Unable to establish a connection to the file).

I think it must be some kind of shares/permissions problem and I understand that it's with the way the popbox accesses the media. But the old USB stick is still working fine so there must be something I've missed when setting up the new USB which I have now done 3 times.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can change?

Thanks

Hi, I'm trying to do the same I think.

I have been using the free 5.0beta12 for a while and now need to add some drives which I believe I need to update to V6 first. My first step was to install the zipped 6.0.0 files onto a new USB drive. I then copied the config folder from the old USB drive (except go). It all boots up ok and I entered a new trial key and all looks normal.

I only use it as a media server for an old popcorn hour popbox, this is where the problem lies. The popbox doesn't seem to see the media jukebox and if I run (YAMJ) and point to the jukebox it will see it but then will not run the media (Unable to establish a connection to the file).

I think it must be some kind of shares/permissions problem and I understand that it's with the way the popbox accesses the media. But the old USB stick is still working fine so there must be something I've missed when setting up the new USB which I have now done 3 times.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can change?

Thanks

Did you read the link in Reply #1?

As far as I know I don't have any plug ins. There were none in the config folder I copied. There were two (dynamix) in the V6 config/plugins folder which I have tried with it removed and it's the same.

Do you have a plugins folder at the root of the boot drive? What about an extra folder at the root?

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the file it gives you. Then we can see what is going on with V6.

I wonder though if you didn't have something installed in V5 that is needed to make your popbox work. You mentioned YAMJ. Is that something on the popbox? Does it need uPNP / DLNA or something?

Thanks for the help.

I am not at the system at the moment but when it doesn't see a file it gives the message (along the lines of):

Unable to establish a connection to the file

smb:/[root=]/TOWER/Movies/movie.mkv

So I think it's using Samba which is enabled (Samba, NFS and AFP are all enabled).

I have access to the V5 USB stick which is still fine but I have no idea where to look.

Thanks for the help.

I am not at the system at the moment but when it doesn't see a file it gives the message (along the lines of):

Unable to establish a connection to the file

smb:/[root=]/TOWER/Movies/movie.mkv

So I think it's using Samba which is enabled (Samba, NFS and AFP are all enabled).

I have access to the V5 USB stick which is still fine but I have no idea where to look.

Check in Settings - Network Services - SMB and make sure everything is as expected. Also check each shares SMB Security Settings.

I've got

Enable SMB: Yes (Workgroup)

Workgroup: workgroup

Local master: No

All my user shares (Data, Movies etc) have SMB set to Public and those two also have NFS set to Public.

If this sounds right could it be a 64 bit thing?

Or could the access to root be different somehow?

That sounds promising. Unfortunately I don't understand how to get what you asked to check. If I click User I get just user 'root' settings with no password. I noticed when I telnet in I enter "root" and it asks for a password. V5 doesn't ask for a password. I tried adding another user with or without a password but cannot telnet in at all, only as root.

btw I can (sometimes) access my Data share but not my Movies share

Root cannot access shares over the network, but only root can login to telnet or console.

Create a user for accessing shares over the network. Then, if on Windows, go to Control Panel - Credential Manager and delete any unRAID credentials so they can be renegotiated.

I think the Mac equivalent is probably keyring but don't have any experience.

Also, recommend setting Local master to Yes. It will sometimes help make the server visible by name on the network if it is the one in charge.

Thanks Trurl, I'm afraid I don't understand a lot of this. . .

Root cannot access shares over the network

ok, so this is the thing that's changed since my V5. Can I change it so it works like it used to?

but only root can login to telnet or console.
ok, I can live with that.

Create a user for accessing shares over the network. Then, if on Windows, go to Control Panel - Credential Manager and delete any unRAID credentials so they can be renegotiated.
Ouch, I understand none of this, do you mean accessing the tower via a windows computer or plugging the USB into a pc? Will this allow the popbox media player to access the media files via route, as before?

Also, recommend setting Local master to Yes. It will sometimes help make the server visible by name on the network if it is the one in charge.

ok I can give this a go, can you explain "in charge" in this context, please?

If I can't change the settings to use root again then I imagine I need to change all my YAMJ links (currently something like smb://[root=]/TOWER/Movies/movie.mkv), to smb:/[newname=pwd]/TOWER/Movies/movie.mkv. My links are currently on one of the HDDs, while I'm at it would it be suitable to put these on the boot USB stick to speed up access?

Thanks Trurl, I'm afraid I don't understand a lot of this. . .

ok, so this is the thing that's changed since my V5. Can I change it so it works like it used to?

That limitation was introduced as part of the new security model under v5.  I thought it was already in place by b12 but I may be wrong about that.

Having said that, this only affects you if you are applying security to the shares.  If they have no security then the username is irrelevant.

ok, I can live with that.

Ouch, I understand none of this, do you mean accessing the tower via a windows computer or plugging the USB into a pc? Will this allow the popbox media player to access the media files via route, as before?

The Windows Credentials Manager is only relevant to Windows PCs trying to access the unRAID server.  It shows you to manipulate any stored credentials for particular servers.  Typically you delete the entries for a server so that you get prompted again next time you access it rather than simply failing when the stored credentials do not work.

This will not help non-Windows devices.  If they are having problems it is a different issue - possible using user 'root' on a secure share.  It could also be a simple networking issue where they have not yet adjusted to any changes.

ok I can give this a go, can you explain "in charge" in this context, please?

At any point in time there is a 'master' server that handles translating NetBIOS names to network addresses.  If your device/pc cannot find that server it does not know how to translate the name into a network address.  Think of it as the NetBIOS equivalent of a DNS.  There is a complex arbitration protocol (which you do not need to understand) where if there is no existing 'master' then a suitable device is arbitrarily chosen.  You can get scenarios where devices have stored 'stale' settings for which is the local master and then connections start failing to go through.  Setting the setting to Yes in unRAID means that the unRAID server is allowed take on this role, and since unRAID servers are relatively rarely powered off it will probably keep that role.

One thing that may help is to first switch off all your networked devices.  Then reboot your router to reset the network and then start the unRAID server and leave it for a few minutes.  As it will find no other PC's it should take on the 'Local Master' role.  Now switch on the other devices/PCs to see if they now 'just work'

If I can't change the settings to use root again then I imagine I need to change all my YAMJ links (currently something like smb://[root=]/TOWER/Movies/movie.mkv), to smb:/[newname=pwd]/TOWER/Movies/movie.mkv. My links are currently on one of the HDDs, while I'm at it would it be suitable to put these on the boot USB stick to speed up access?

No able to help here I am afraid as I do not have any knowledge of YAML.

That limitation was introduced as part of the new security model under v5.  I thought it was already in place by b12 but I may be wrong about that.

Having said that, this only affects you if you are applying security to the shares.  If they have no security then the username is irrelevant.

The Windows Credentials Manager is only relevant to Windows PCs trying to access the unRAID server.  It shows you to manipulate any stored credentials for particular servers.  Typically you delete the entries for a server so that you get prompted again next time you access it rather than simply failing when the stored credentials do not work.

This will not help non-Windows devices.  If they are having problems it is a different issue - possible using user 'root' on a secure share.  It could also be a simple networking issue where they have not yet adjusted to any changes.

At any point in time there is a 'master' server that handles translating NetBIOS names to network addresses.  If your device/pc cannot find that server it does not know how to translate the name into a network address.  Think of it as the NetBIOS equivalent of a DNS.  There is a complex arbitration protocol (which you do not need to understand) where if there is no existing 'master' then a suitable device is arbitrarily chosen.  You can get scenarios where devices have stored 'stale' settings for which is the local master and then connections start failing to go through.  Setting the setting to Yes in unRAID means that the unRAID server is allowed take on this role, and since unRAID servers are relatively rarely powered off it will probably keep that role.

One thing that may help is to first switch off all your networked devices.  Then reboot your router to reset the network and then start the unRAID server and leave it for a few minutes.  As it will find no other PC's it should take on the 'Local Master' role.  Now switch on the other devices/PCs to see if they now 'just work'

Thanks for putting down all those details. I never took the time and now I don't have to. I will just link to this in future.
That limitation was introduced as part of the new security model under v5. 

Do you mean passwords? I have no passwords set for unraid, yet I cannot access the shared folders on V6 that I can access on V5.

I guess I don't need to worry as my windows PC can read and write happily to the unraid folders.

This didn't seem to make any difference. Is there a way of comparing the properties of these shared folders against the old ones to see why the media player will see one but not the other?

Yes, all my shares AND all the discs (just in case) are Public in SMB and NFS.

It used to be fine accessing YAMJ and the media via smb using smb://[root=]/TOWER/Movies/movie.mkv

Now I can only access YAMJ via nfs and can I can browse the media using nfs but cannot select them from YAMJ.

Yes, all my shares AND all the discs (just in case) are Public in SMB and NFS.

It used to be fine accessing YAMJ and the media via smb using smb://[root=]/TOWER/Movies/movie.mkv

Now I can only access YAMJ via nfs and can I can browse the media using nfs but cannot select them from YAMJ.

Try:

smb://TOWER/Movies/movie.mkv

or make a new unRAID user and try:

smb://[newUser=]/TOWER/Movies/movie.mkv

Root is no longer allowed access to shares. There is no way to allow root access to shares.

I am finally getting somewhere.

As the media would not see ANY samba shares I had to move everything over to nfs. I could point to the YAMJ folder easily using the media player's browser but finding out how to get YAMJ to follow a path was the problem. I ended up using:

nfs://192.168.0.XXX/mnt/user/Movies/Movie.mkv

Thanks for the help. No doubt I'll be back here when trying to add a new disc.