Xeon E3-1200 v4 Processors

csmstyle

With the new release of Unraid 6 I am looking to redo my Unraid server build. I noticed the new Xeon chips are supposed to be released sometime soon and think I may base the build off it it. Anyone recommend a Supermicro board for under $600 that might pair well with one of these new CPU's? My server would be for Media storage plus a few dockers and VM support.

The main difference between v3 and v4 is the graphics performance and since you can't pass-through an embedded GPU then what is the benefit of using a v4 XEON in unRAID?

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75463,75055,80910,88043,88046,88041

My understanding was it might be more power efficient. Also if I decide to not use Unraid down the road and go with something else the Iris graphics may come in handy.

... My understanding was it might be more power efficient. Also if I decide to not use Unraid down the road and go with something else the Iris graphics may come in handy.

Both points are valid.    From a capabilities perspective, HellDiverUK's comment that there's "... little to wait for " is correct => Broadwell is just a "tick" in Intel's Tick-Tock evolutionary strategy.  But the ticks are always die shrinks; and the smaller chips are indeed more power efficient.

If your timing isn't urgent, you may want to wait 'til the end of the year, when the v5 "Skylake" chips will be shipping.  This is the next "tock", and will have more significant architectural improvements.