[REQUEST] - Fog Project

Speaking of tftp and pxe I bought serva64 to pxe boot my computers and I love it. Installing my OS's over the network is amazingly fast. I keep it running all the time on my server just incase I want to reinstall any machine. If it could run in a docker that would be sweet.

I have seen the fog project around for a couple of years. I even built a fog server once but I didn't spend a lot of time using it. Form what I saw though it was an excellent piece of software. Though it really shines when your doing a multicast rollout to many computers at once.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Have really been looking into Fog the past few days after having some major Win10 1607 update and multi pc backup woes at the office. After searching here and google I've found a few mentions of trying to run Fog in a container, but much like this post there haven't been any updates in over a year. I'm posting here to essentially bump the topic and hope that someone with Docker know-how might be interested in taking a stab at getting Fog to run in an unRAID Docker. Thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
If you go to the project page, there's a complete forum for support there.

Right now the docker works as expected. It's just that thing for the WebUI button, that is specific to Unraid. I'll search a little bit more there and if not, I'll let it be until it gets fixed on a future release or something.

Thanks you so much. Always helping the community

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
On 4/26/2019 at 10:38 PM, Squid said:

If you go to the project page, there's a complete forum for support there.

Are you talking about support for the docker itself or for the overall fog project? Just making sure as I couldn't find anything other than the main fogproject.com forum

I'm having trouble setting this up. Getting mysql errors (using 6.7.2 but mapping the sql folders directly in /mnt/cache/appdata. Also, it defaults to host mode, but the ports are obviously taken. Switching to bridge mode doesn't seem to make sense because I think all the ports need to be exposed to the LAN.

* Starting enhanced syslogd rsyslogd
...done.
* Starting MySQL database server mysqld
...fail!
mysqldump: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) when trying to connect

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

* Starting internet superserver xinetd
...done.
* Starting Apache httpd web server apache2
AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
no listening sockets available, shutting down
AH00015: Unable to open logs
Action 'start' failed.

The Apache error log may have more information.

* Starting FTP server vsftpd
...done.
* Starting FOG Computer Imaging Solution: FOGImageReplicator
...done.
* Starting FOG Computer Imaging Solution: FOGImageSize
...done.
* Starting FOG Computer Imaging Solution: FOGMulticastManager
...done.
* Starting FOG Computer Imaging Solution: FOGPingHosts
...done.
* Starting FOG Computer Imaging Solution: FOGScheduler
...done.
* Starting FOG Computer Imaging Solution: FOGSnapinHash
...done.
* Starting FOG Computer Imaging Solution: FOGSnapinReplicator
...done.

You can now login to the FOG Management Portal using
the information listed below. The login information
is only if this is the first install.

This can be done by opening a web browser and going to:
http://192.168.10.10/fog/management

image.thumb.png.e99915f50a7ebbbba9b4487cd9538c80.png

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else gotten this to work? I can't seem to get NFS to start in the docker which is required by fog's core functionality.

When I try in the container shell:

# service nfs-kernel-server restart
[ ok ] Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
[ ok ] Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
[warn] Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel. ... (warning).

Is (debian-flavor) NFS not supported by UnRAID kernel? I have the NFS setting enabled in UnRAID gui just in case although that probably doesn't affect the kernel

Tried deschamps001/fogproject and mudislander/fogproject (which is an UnRAID Community App, so surprised if no one can get it to work)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 1:01 PM, golli53 said:

Has anyone else gotten this to work? I can't seem to get NFS to start in the docker which is required by fog's core functionality.

When I try in the container shell:

# service nfs-kernel-server restart
[ ok ] Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
[ ok ] Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
[warn] Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel. ... (warning).

Is (debian-flavor) NFS not supported by UnRAID kernel? I have the NFS setting enabled in UnRAID gui just in case although that probably doesn't affect the kernel

Tried deschamps001/fogproject and mudislander/fogproject (which is an UnRAID Community App, so surprised if no one can get it to work)

Any luck?  I'm running into the same thing.  Would hate to have to resort to spinning up a VM...

On 11/1/2019 at 2:21 PM, aderuwe said:

Any luck?  I'm running into the same thing.  Would hate to have to resort to spinning up a VM...

Yes - on unRAID host run (and you can set this to run at array start using the User Scripts plugin):

modprobe nfs
modprobe nfsd

For the container, set Post Arguments to: 

bin/bash -c "service rpcbind start; service nfs-kernel-server start; bash entry.sh"

• 1 year later...
On 11/3/2019 at 4:31 AM, golli53 said:

Yes - on unRAID host run (and you can set this to run at array start using the User Scripts plugin):

modprobe nfs
modprobe nfsd

For the container, set Post Arguments to: 

bin/bash -c "service rpcbind start; service nfs-kernel-server start; bash entry.sh"

I keep getting " * Starting NFS kernel daemon                                                                                               
 * Not starting: portmapper is not running" when trying to run that last command within the container. Any info on how to proceed?