New build...I think

david81

My proposed new build.  Will be storing movies, TV, music, install archives and backups.  Will be housed in the basement with modem, router and switch.

Thoughts? Particularly interested in 1GB vs. 2GB RAM. It's not much more for 2GB but will it actually give me anything?

--------------------

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black SECC / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Additional Drive Cage: COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-400CX 400 Watt PSU

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM Option 1: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA667

RAM Option 2: CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X1024-5400C4 - Retail

CPU: AMD Athlon LE-1660 Lima 2.8GHz Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor Model ADH1660DPBOX

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

+ 5 existing SATA drives ranging from 500GB to 1TB for data storage

+ maybe a 300gb PATA I have laying around as a cache drive

I had some issues with running out of RAM with only 1GB, but that was running SABnzbd/Twonky and some scripts that converted 2 AVI movies into 1. I believe Joe L. uses a solid 512MB in his original server, so you should be fine with 1GB should you choose to go that route, but if you intend on making your server do more work in the future you will probably benefit from the increase in RAM, I know mine did.

Just my 2 cents from my experience, I know SAB is pretty heavy, especially when downloading compared to just SAMBA serving up files.

-Markus

I had some issues with running out of RAM with only 1GB, but that was running SABnzbd/Twonky and some scripts that converted 2 AVI movies into 1. I believe Joe L. uses a solid 512MB in his original server, so you should be fine with 1GB should you choose to go that route, but if you intend on making your server do more work in the future you will probably benefit from the increase in RAM, I know mine did.

Just my 2 cents from my experience, I know SAB is pretty heavy, especially when downloading compared to just SAMBA serving up files.

-Markus

If the difference in cost is minimal, go for the 2 Gig of RAM.  It will be able to hold more of the directory entries in RAM and make browsing for files a better experience (It might not need to spin up a drive just to list its contents)

Joe L.

As has been suggested I'd consider 2 Gigs minimum. Not as an unraid requirement but you've hinted you'll be running other things on it and as Joe L stated it will be worth it for the cache script alone.

Personally I'd shove as much ram in as you can afford. RAM is cheap and with the rate unraid is being added to and expanded by the community the more the merrier. I'm running 2GB quite happily right now but plan to drop in another 2 shortly. It's £20 which isn't very much and it will give me some leeway as I plan to try and get vmware running.

At the very least ensure your motherboard and initial ram stick purchase combination (i.e single stick? multiple sticks?) gives you easy room for expansion.

Personally I'd shove as much ram in as you can afford. RAM is cheap and with the rate unraid is being added to and expanded by the community the more the merrier.

I'll agree with this. As much as you can afford up to 4GB. you can add more then 4GB if you are a power user and your server is used heavily.

I use mine for seeding many torrents and the extra ram helps a great deal.