Web UI unresponsive

I have been having a problem ever since upgrading to unraid 6 from version 5, with my web interface hanging and not responding, VMs going offline, all docker apps going offline, and shares being not accessible from any other computer on the network. I am able to telnet in, but that is about it. I have had to power off the array manually and let it parity check. This has happened about once every couple of days since the upgrade over the last several weeks. I am just now getting around to attaching the log and asking somebody about it. Maybe I missed a config file or put something in that i shouldn't have? I followed the step by step upgrade instructions in the Wiki but who knows, I could have missed something....

syslog.zip

It may be worth mentioning, that I have already booted my server from the failure this morning, so that file should reflect that. If I need to try and get that diagnostic file BEFORE I boot my server next time, then let me know how to do that, and I certainly will. It will need to be command line instructions though, as my web interface will not work of course.

It may be worth mentioning, that I have already booted my server from the failure this morning, so that file should reflect that. If I need to try and get that diagnostic file BEFORE I boot my server next time, then let me know how to do that, and I certainly will. It will need to be command line instructions though, as my web interface will not work of course.

The same file can be created using the 'diagnostics' command from a console/telnet session.  It will be placed in the 'logs' folder on the flash drive.

The same file can be created using the 'diagnostics' command from a console/telnet session.  It will be placed in the 'logs' folder on the flash drive.

I guess my search is broken because I have looked for the "diagnostics" command from the CLI, and I could not find the right syntax. Does anyone have this in case this happens to me again? I would like to be able to dump that diagnostics file onto my flash drive before I power down if this happens again.

There is no syntax.  Simply type that command press Enter and then when it completes look in the 'logs' folder on the flash drive for the zip file that has been created.

I guess my search is broken because I have looked for the "diagnostics" command from the CLI, and I could not find the right syntax. Does anyone have this in case this happens to me again? I would like to be able to dump that diagnostics file onto my flash drive before I power down if this happens again.

I really need that diagnostics because I am betting it is something not in these logs that is going to tell us the story on what is going on. I don't see anything in this small log file that shows anything wrong at all. The last thing I did was attempt to delete files using Sonar in a docker app. Then the GUI locked up and my Plex went offline. I waited for about an hour before force rebooting. The server did run for about 4 and a half days without incident. I am thinking my log file is not showing that much time though. Is there a way to extend the log file size allowance so that it records longer?

happened again..... attached log files. I tried the diagnostics command via telnet session and got this....

root@Tower:~# diagnostics

cp: cannot stat ‘/boot/config/*.conf’: No such file or directory

As far as I know this message does not stop the diagnostics zip file being created.  Have you tried looking in the 'logs' folder on the flash drive to see if it is there?

One change I would recommend that is made to the diagnostics script for a future unRAID release is an information message saying that the zip file has been created and giving its exact name (including location).  This will help those who run it via the command line.

One change I would recommend that is made to the diagnostics script for a future unRAID release is an information message saying that the zip file has been created and giving its exact name (including location).  This will help those who run it via the command line.

Good idea, I add that for the next version. Thanks

Note: the error message of the copy command should not stop diagnostics from creating the zip file, this message will be suppressed in the next version.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened again last night. Here is more logs....

Both of the logs that were posted are full of I/O errors which I expect is the root cause of your issues.  I think they are on device sdd that appears to be in BTRFS format - is that you cache drive?

Yes it is. It has an offline uncorrected value of 3. It passes the smart test but it has prefail values on it too. I had plans to change it out soon.  Maybe I should do that sooner rather than later?

Happened again last night. Here is more logs....

Both of the logs that were posted are full of I/O errors which I expect is the root cause of your issues.  I think they are on device sdd that appears to be in BTRFS format - is that you cache drive?

Yes it is. It has an offline uncorrected value of 3. It passes the smart test but it has prefail values on it too. I had plans to change it out soon.  Maybe I should do that sooner rather than later?

The pending sectors mean that at best you are going to get inconsistent results any time the system tries to read those sectors, and if they are in an important area of the disk could cause all sort of problems.  I think you need to get that issue resolved and then see if you still get UI hanging.

Those sort of errors are sometime corrected if you run a pre-clear cycle against the disk.    Also you could try the manufacturers diagnostic software to see if it can clear the errors.

• 7 years later...