"Cannot set up guest memory" error

Hi,

I'm new to unRAID but I've successfully migrated 4TB of data to my new system and got a few dockers running merrily.

I wanted to create an Ubuntu VM but when creating the VM I get an error message:

Error creating VM: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2015-06-23T12:22:02.619982Z qemu-system-x86_64: cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory

I'm running an HP Microserver G8 with 2GB RAM. I allocated 512MB to the VM. Stats is showing approx 1GB allocated, the rest is cached/free.

A quick Google doesn't come up with any answers. Can anyone help?

Hi,

I'm new to unRAID but I've successfully migrated 4TB of data to my new system and got a few dockers running merrily.

I wanted to create an Ubuntu VM but when creating the VM I get an error message:

Error creating VM: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2015-06-23T12:22:02.619982Z qemu-system-x86_64: cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory

I'm running an HP Microserver G8 with 2GB RAM. I allocated 512MB to the VM. Stats is showing approx 1GB allocated, the rest is cached/free.

A quick Google doesn't come up with any answers. Can anyone help?

The last time a similar question came up the problem disappeared when more RAM was added to the machine.  My suspicion is that as well as the RAM allocated to the VM there is additional RAM being used to run KVM itself, and the combination has taken you over your systems capabilities.  2GB of RAM is certainly very low in any modern system, especially if you want to get into virtualisation.

Thanks for the replies.

I've added a couple of plugins - just the stats and community applications plugins. I've got 5 Docker applications running too.

I've got a spare 2GB DIMM which I'll stick in there and see if that sorts it. I'll report back with results.

As an aside - the error message could be more helpful!

Refining error messages is something we want to do. Right now we are simply rendering the message that qemu/libvirt gives us. This particular message is actually far less obtuse than others I've seen.

You definitely do not have enough RAM to create a VM if you have all that other stuff running. I admire your attempt to squeeze every ounce of horsepower out of that machine, but 2GB is just not sufficient.

Report back after adding more memory and let us know if that solves your problem (it should).

Thanks for the replies.

I've added a couple of plugins - just the stats and community applications plugins. I've got 5 Docker applications running too.

I've got a spare 2GB DIMM which I'll stick in there and see if that sorts it. I'll report back with results.

As an aside - the error message could be more helpful!

That sounds like a reasonably impressive list of things to be running on 2GB even without trying to run a VM  :)