Help new drive showing unmountable

Hello all,

I seem to have an issue, replaced a failed drive, but upon starting the array, the disk shows unmountable. I don't care about the data on the drive, I just want to get the array back to normal so I can start replacing other drives that will soon be failing. I attached a picture and the diagnostic zip. All help is greatly appreciated, and let me say thanks for taking the time to look.

disk7.JPG.47eb94020bd8067241a38b88bcbdd82f.JPG

unraid1.cminuz.local-diagnostics-20150623-2104.zip

Hello all,

I seem to have an issue, replaced a failed drive, but upon starting the array, the disk shows unmountable. I don't care about the data on the drive, I just want to get the array back to normal so I can start replacing other drives that will soon be failing. I attached a picture and the diagnostic zip. All help is greatly appreciated, and let me say thanks for taking the time to look.

The unmountable status probably means that there is some sort of file system corruption on the 'emulated' version of the drive.    If you were worried about the data on the drive (which you indicate that you are not) then you would run the appropriate file system recovery tool but that does not appear to be necessary in this case.  As it has noticed that it is umountable so is offering a format option to wipe the current contents and create a new empty file system.

The system has noticed that the drive has been replaced and is offering to rebuild it.  A rebuild is the normal way to clear a red-balled disk state on a protected array.  If you want to maintain parity and keep the array in a prtoected state then you cannot bypass the rebuild step. It might seem that doing the format would mean the rebuild is not necessary, but this is not the case if parity is to be maintained.

You mention that there are other drives you want to replace?    Are you worried about retaining their contents?    If not then you have another option as you could do a 'New Config' from the Tools menu to discard the current configration (and discard current parity) and assign all the drives you now want to have in place.  At that point you could then format any that needed it and build new parity to get back to a preotected state.  This would be quicker than replacing one disk at a time and rebuilding it but is only a valid approach if the data from the disks to be replaced is not required (or can be restored from backups).

Did you try a reboot? Unmountable can mean a lot of different things.

If this persists, I would not suggest formatting the drive. Instead, I would manually unassign the drive and start the array, allowing unRAID to simulate the disk. If the simulation looks good I would do a rebuild on top of the drive. If the simulation is also unmountable, then the physical disk may be needed to attempt further recovery.

Did you try a reboot? Unmountable can mean a lot of different things.

If this persists, I would not suggest formatting the drive. Instead, I would manually unassign the drive and start the array, allowing unRAID to simulate the disk. If the simulation looks good I would do a rebuild on top of the drive. If the simulation is also unmountable, then the physical disk may be needed to attempt further recovery.

The OP has already said that he is not interested in the data on the disk, so recovery is not a requirement.

Thanks itimpi and bjp999, the other data I do care about on the disks (well some off it), so I have to go the slow process. I took the option of pressing the format button, but nothing happened it seems to me, got an error something about bad blocks, in the system logs which is attached. Thanks

The messages in the syslog implies that an I/O failure occurred trying to create the new file system on the drive.  Have you done any tests to check out that drive?

I precleared it multiple times, with preclear_bjp... -f -A /dev/sd7, no errors we given at the end. I haven't tried to create a new filesystem, forgive me for being lazy is there a link where it'll show me the process, or can you give me quick steps. Thanks

I precleared it multiple times, with preclear_bjp... -f -A /dev/sd7, no errors we given at the end. I haven't tried to create a new filesystem, forgive me for being lazy is there a link where it'll show me the process, or can you give me quick steps. Thanks

I have always done it via the GUI.  According to the syslog the command that unRAID was trying to use was

mkreiserfs /dev/md7

to create a Reiserfs file system on disk7 with default settings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Not sure if you sorted it but i had the same issue.

2tb WD green drive red balled and i purchased a 4tb WD Red drive to replace.

After a 35 hour pre-clear, i stopped the array, replaced it with the new pre-cleared 4tb drive and began the rebuild.

Immediately, i noticed it came up as "un-mountable drive detected" but i thought it may clear after the rebuild completed but Alas, 20 hours later with data rebuilt, i could not mount it.

I used the format all unmountable drives option and that cleared it right up. Its now mounted with parity check running.

Not sure if you sorted it but i had the same issue.

2tb WD green drive red balled and i purchased a 4tb WD Red drive to replace.

After a 35 hour pre-clear, i stopped the array, replaced it with the new pre-cleared 4tb drive and began the rebuild.

Immediately, i noticed it came up as "un-mountable drive detected" but i thought it may clear after the rebuild completed but Alas, 20 hours later with data rebuilt, i could not mount it.

I used the format all unmountable drives option and that cleared it right up. Its now mounted with parity check running.

I hope you didn't tick the automatic correction of parity error option.

Formating the drive => you lose all the data on it. Correcting the parity at this point simply means the parity is updated to reflect the fact that the new drive is blank. That means you lose all your data on the drive, permanently.  :-\

If this is indeed the unfortunate case, I recommend using a data recovery tool to recover the data on the failed 2TB (as much as you can). That's the only source of the data you have now.

I think there needs to be a big notice somewhere to tell people something like "rebuilding a drive that is unmountable will still make it unmountable" - I didn't know about that and only read that on the forum, or at least that's what I remember reading.

I'm using the SilverStone DS380 case that has a backplane, with a ASRock C2750D4I MB, and the PSU is SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G 450W. Here is another diagnostic also when I tried to format and rebuild the drive. I'm totally stuck right now in upgrading any drives as I can get the array healthy. Thanks for your help

Which sata ports are you using on the mobo ?

I have same case and mobo. I had loads of problems with the 4 port Marvell controller, the 9230 one, to such an extent I have lost faith in them and added an lsi card to use the remaining hd slots. I had similar issues with loss of disc and read errors. I only had unassigned discs on the controller at the time so didn't affect the array/parity for me. (The lsi card I got is just very slightly too big to get away with not losing the 8th slot BTW. Might need some modding!)

There are reports that the Marvell firmware fix possibly sorts out some issues. It is available on the asrock site. I couldn't get the USB to boot in my case, but probably user error. I didn't persevere due to my personal loss of confidence in the Marvell controller. YMMV.

Another thought is the power to the discs because it is distributed by the back plane to several discs, there might be a dodgy connection or capacitor if the discs are powered by the same connector. Those capacities stick out a bit and I'm always fearful of damaging one when I fettle in the case!

Hope you get it fixed.

V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...