Upgrading to V6 questions

Hi,

I had a little look around and couldn't see where I was supposed to ask this, and I couldn't see anyone else asking in a thread apart from the announcements thread so here goes.

I currently have a V5 set up, 3 data drives, 1 parity (2Tb) and a 120Gb Apps drive which I mount on start up for storing my plugins data.  No cache drive.  It's on a Plus licence and I have another unused key too.

So my question is what's the best way to upgrade?  I've read the upgrade guide and I could handle doing that ok, but I'm also wondering if I should bite the bullet and start over again?  What format is best for the drives?  I see we now have 3 formats to choose from!  If I upgrade I'll just keep using the reiserfs format, is that ok?

Also does anyone have a good way of copying over all my settings to the new system for the plugins, which will now I assume be docker.  It took me ages to get my V5 the way I want it and I suppose I'm a little worried about having to fumbled by way though a V6 and all the issues with things not working (SB, SAB etc).

Cheers.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link to upgrade guide ->  Upgrading to UnRAID v6

I think it's always best to simplify, to break it all down into steps, that you can perform and complete one at a time.  A short list of steps could be -

* upgrade software to v6

* possibly convert drive(s) to other file systems

* add Dockers/whatever and restore your settings (could be many steps here)

* optional, start over with fresh system

* identify all addons and their purpose

* gather all settings, both for unRAID and for all addons

* make all necessary backups

* others?

The step involving converting to other file systems can be done at any time, so I would leave it to last, when you'll have more time to decide what you want.  That simplifies that!

Making sure you have everything backed up and all settings noted, has to be done first of course.

So one proposal would be -

1. Backup everything necessary

2. Make notes or copies of all unRAID settings

3. Make notes of all addons and all their settings, for later restoration

4. Upgrade to v6, by formatting your flash and preparing it with v6, booting it, testing the basics, and configuring it.

5. Select one addon, a former plugin, decide what is its replacement, install and configure and test

6. Repeat #5 for each of your previous addons

7. Done for now, take your time and decide what's next

Do each step and ensure it's complete and satisfactory before moving to the next step.  That's how I would do it, but everyone is different.  Change it as you like.

When you know you have a good backup of everything, you know you can always go back to what you had, and that makes it easier to take the next step if it's new to you.  With a complete backup, you have an UNDO for every step.

Edit: add upgrade link, and expand steps

Thanks RobJ, it sounds like I just have to get in there an do it.  Everyone seems to be raving about v6 so I don't think it's a bad move.

Questions.  Does the V6 have a recycle bin?  I was using VFS_recycle on my V5 machine which I really liked.  It was great for that oops I didn't mean to delete that moment. :)

I believe the plugin is not fully working for v6, but you could go the "old" route by editing smb_extra.conf and activating the recycle bin there. I have no links at the moment, but if you use the search, you will find the info. :)

Hi,

So my question is what's the best way to upgrade?  I've read the upgrade guide and I could handle doing that ok, but I'm also wondering if I should bite the bullet and start over again?  What format is best for the drives?  I see we now have 3 formats to choose from!  If I upgrade I'll just keep using the reiserfs format, is that ok?

Where can I find the upgrade guide? I think it should be pinned in the forum.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

I agree.  I think a dedicated thread for info about upgrading would be nice.  Seems to be a lot of people following this guide, but the reason I started this thread was because I had questions, and there didn't seem to be a dedicated thread to discuss them. :)

Questions.  Does the V6 have a recycle bin?  I was using VFS_recycle on my V5 machine which I really liked.  It was great for that oops I didn't mean to delete that moment. :)

I believe the plugin is not fully working for v6, but you could go the "old" route by editing smb_extra.conf and activating the recycle bin there. I have no links at the moment, but if you use the search, you will find the info. :)

This is the old thread ->  Samba Recycle Bin with VFS_Recycle.

I would have loved to add something about this to the upgrade guide, but there's nothing 'official' or fully supported yet.  I've been hoping that either LimeTech would add the option, or that someone would step forward and take it over, make sure the plugin is viable, and set up a support thread.  They don't have to be an expert, just someone with some experience with it and willing to help others.

I agree.  I think a dedicated thread for info about upgrading would be nice.  Seems to be a lot of people following this guide, but the reason I started this thread was because I had questions, and there didn't seem to be a dedicated thread to discuss them. :)

I agree too.  So I'm making this one the stickied one for upgrade questions.

I've been hoping that either LimeTech would add the option,

Me too, it's such a useful feature, and just a toggle for what shares you want protected would have been great.

I have a Synology Diskstation, and to be honest unraid will probably rival it with V6, now that there is dropbox and crashplan support and a few other nice things.  Plus they will talk to the UPS together (one is running NUT, the other APCUPSD).  If I can get V6 running the way I like my Diskstation I'll be selling it in favour of another HP Microserver Unraid machine asap.

Just thinking out aloud here.  I have a second unused key so, could I set up that with V6 clean install, install a cache drive (FYI I don't have one at the moment, just a mounted apps drive) and set it up at my leisure.  Then if I got stuck or run out of time I can shutdown and put my V5 in like nothing happened?  Is that possible?  Or does V6 do something to my files, or parity or something that means there's no going back?

How big does a cache have to be also?  Would a 250Gb 5400 notebook hard drive do?

The V6 upgrade part I can handle it's setting up all these dockers instead of the plugins.  Can I use my exisiting settings stored on my apps drive with the new docker apps, or do I start from scratch?  Plex would have to index if I don't and that's messy, and Sickbeard programed with stuff I'm following.

Just thinking out aloud here.  I have a second unused key so, could I set up that with V6 clean install, install a cache drive (FYI I don't have one at the moment, just a mounted apps drive) and set it up at my leisure.  Then if I got stuck or run out of time I can shutdown and put my V5 in like nothing happened?  Is that possible?  Or does V6 do something to my files, or parity or something that means there's no going back?

The only thing that stops you going back is using one of the new options for file systems (BTRFS or XFS) as v5 does not recognise those.

How big does a cache have to be also?  Would a 250Gb 5400 notebook hard drive do?

There is no hard-and-fast rule.    It is just a case of working out how much data you expect to put onto it.  It is quite likely that the size you mention would be fine unless you load a lot of data onto via apps in Docker containers or VM's.

The V6 upgrade part I can handle it's setting up all these dockers instead of the plugins.  Can I use my exisiting settings stored on my apps drive with the new docker apps, or do I start from scratch?  Plex would have to index if I don't and that's messy, and Sickbeard programed with stuff I'm following.

In most case it is just a case of configuring the relevant Docker containers to point to where your existing configuration settings and data are stored.

I upgraded to 6.0 last week and just noticed the 6.0.1 release today.  I don't see anything about upgrading to the newer release if you already have version 6.0 installed.  Is the process the same as older versions (i.e., replace the bzimage and bzroot files and reboot)?

Just let the system do it automatically if you're already on 6.  Plugins/Check For Updates

I upgraded to 6.0 last week and just noticed the 6.0.1 release today.  I don't see anything about upgrading to the newer release if you already have version 6.0 installed.  Is the process the same as older versions (i.e., replace the bzimage and bzroot files and reboot)?

Just let the system do it automatically if you're already on 6.  Plugins/Check For Updates

Sweet!  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

The upgrade is in progress.  Setting up a new system then copying it all across from the old system then using the old system as a backup.

Setting up Time Machine for my mac, and it now has a Volume dbpath: setting?  What's that?  It's not there on V5 so I don't know if I have to put anything in there for not.

Small problem I keep finding is that folders/files on my cache disk are owned by nobody and my Windows machine can't delete them.  Running the permissions script on the cache has fixed it, but when I installed a docker again I had the issue all over again.  Is running the permissions script ok to fix this (ie to give me access to delete/modify files) or am I missing something simple?

Small problem I keep finding is that folders/files on my cache disk are owned by nobody and my Windows machine can't delete them.  Running the permissions script on the cache has fixed it, but when I installed a docker again I had the issue all over again.  Is running the permissions script ok to fix this (ie to give me access to delete/modify files) or am I missing something simple?

Files being owned by 'nobody' should not stop them being deleted over the network.  You should not need to regularly run the New Permissions tool if the system is correctly set up and configured.

Perhaps when you next encounter this problem you can do a command of the form

ls -l path-to-files

from a console/telnet session and post the results so we can see what the permissions actually are at that point.

You also need to get to the root cause of the issue.  What is actually creating these files?  That is what is likely to need fixing.

Files being owned by 'nobody' should not stop them being deleted over the network.  You should not need to regularly run the New Permissions tool if the system is correctly set up and configured.

Perhaps when you next encounter this problem you can do a command of the form

ls -l path-to-files

from a console/telnet session and post the results so we can see what the permissions actually are at that point.

You also need to get to the root cause of the issue.  What is actually creating these files?  That is what is likely to need fixing.

They are docker config files stored on my cache drive.

Are you trying to delete by referring to the cache disk or by referring to a user share with files on the cache disk?

Whichever answer, what do you have for that disk / share SMB Security Settings?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading the instructions here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6#Upgrade_or_Clean_Install.3F

I'm trying to understand the part about preparing the drive. I'm on unRaid 5.06 and everything is running. Do I actually need to physically pull my flash drive and put it into my Windows machine and run the format, make-bootable, etc? I'm pretty sure I did that a long time time ago and I've just been copying the bzimage/bzroot files to upgrade in the past to \\serenity\flash (serenity is the name of my server).

I'm reading the instructions here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6#Upgrade_or_Clean_Install.3F

I'm trying to understand the part about preparing the drive. I'm on unRaid 5.06 and everything is running. Do I actually need to physically pull my flash drive and put it into my Windows machine and run the format, make-bootable, etc? I'm pretty sure I did that a long time time ago and I've just been copying the bzimage/bzroot files to upgrade in the past to \\serenity\flash (serenity is the name of my server).

I'm not completely sure I understand the question.  The normal advice (it's mentioned in that section) for v5.0.6 is an 'upgrade' install.  ALL methods recommend preparing by reformatting and running make_bootable.  If that wasn't clear in the instructions, let me know how you believe it could be improved.  I really wanted this to be easy and clear for everyone, but it's gotten very long and wordy!  But perhaps I should add a note that the difference between 'clean' and 'upgrade' is not about whether to reformat, but about how much of the current config can be kept.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I am currently using version 5.0.6 of unRAID

I want to upgrade to version 6

I installed the following packages:

- a menu

- Monthly Parity Check

- mysql

- openssl

- Clean Powerdown

- UnRAID Power-Down on disk overtemp

- screen

What are the corresponding packages with version 6?

In advance thank you for your reply

Array Status

STARTED, 8 disks in array.    Parity is Valid:.  Last parity check 47 days ago with no sync errors. 

unmenu.awk: Version 1.6 Revision: 278  Joe L.... with modifications as suggested by bjp999, mvdzwaan, and many others

Plug-in-modules

07-unmenu-mymain.awk: 1.54 - changes for myMain 4-10-11 release, contributed by bjp999 - preclear support - Revision: 266

08-unmenu-array_mgmt.awk: 1.2.4 - fixed path to md.c to detect NOCORRECT mode - Revision: 269

09-unmenu-disk_mgmt.awk: 1.7 - fixed "mount" command to get file system type even if disk is apparently not spinning (where temp = "*" or "") - Revision: 276

10-unmenu-links.awk: 1.2 Fixed increment of link counter - Revision: 7 

15-unmenu-disk_perf.cgi: 1 - improved css by zoggy - Revision: 262

15-unmenu-network_perf.cgi: 1 - improved formatting by zoggy - Revision: 262

16-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: 1.0  - modified by bjp999, Use common routines to generate enhanced syslog viewer - Revision: 178

17-unmenu-syslog.awk: Version: .9  - added css class to fieldset - mvdzwaan - Revision: 262

18-unmenu-lsof.awk: Version: .1  - Joe L. - Revision: 7 

20-unmenu-usage.awk: 1.0 - Revision: 7 

200-unmenu-smarthistory.cgi: 1.1 - added tests for directory, file, and php - Revision: 7 

25-unmenu-dupe_files.awk: 1.2 deal with appostraphe in file name - Revision: 7 

29-unmenu-sysinfo.awk: 1.6 - Added -l option to free to show "low" memory. Joe L. - Revision: 274

30-unmenu-file_browser.awk: 1.1.6 update allowd disk array to have members greater than disk15. - Revision: 234

40-unmenu-iso_share.awk: 1.2 Added formatting of "ls" date/time string to allow consistent parse of file path - Joe L.  - Revision: 236

50-unmenu-user_scripts.cgi: .5 - Added css for submit button - mvzdwaan - Revision: 262

600-unmenu-file_edit.awk: .2.1 Fixed error out of "ls" when directory does not exist.  Joe L. - Revision: 119

99-unmenu-myMain-Config.awk: 1.0 - Part of myMain 12-1-10 release, contributed by bjp999 - Revision: 246

99-unmenu-utility.awk: 1.54 - changes for myMain 4-10-11 release, contributed by bjp999 - smartctl support - Revision: 246

990-unmenu-wget.awk: 3.0  Added 64bit compatible flag to packages. - Revision: 276

999-unmenu-unraid_main.awk: 1.2 Joe L. -- Added code to detect presence of /etc/unraid-version and change main URL accordingly - Revision: 244

Louis

• 3 weeks later...