Upgrading to V6 questions

Planning out my upgrade from v5.

Question about the cache drive:

I currently have 3 drives and a SSD, the SSD is not running as a cache drive, it is holding my apps. I have it mounted via the Go script. Since I will be upgrading to a 6 Basic license and will be allowed a cache drive, what's the best way to manage the drive without messing with the Go script if I don't want to use it as a cache drive but only an app drive? Can I simply have it mounted as a cache drive but not actually use it as such? Do I need to use an app like SNAPS? I will be reformatting the SSD with BTRFS and keeping Plex and a few other apps in a Docker.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planning out my upgrade from v5.

Question about the cache drive:

I currently have 3 drives and a SSD, the SSD is not running as a cache drive, it is holding my apps. I have it mounted via the Go script. Since I will be upgrading to a 6 Basic license and will be allowed a cache drive, what's the best way to manage the drive without messing with the Go script if I don't want to use it as a cache drive but only an app drive? Can I simply have it mounted as a cache drive but not actually use it as such? Do I need to use an app like SNAPS? I will be reformatting the SSD with BTRFS and keeping Plex and a few other apps in a Docker.

Just set all your shares to not use the cache drive (Use Cache Drive: No), and the share you create for your apps (appdata?) to Use Cache Drive: Only.

Another question regarding SSD. Do I need to do anything else to enable TRIM on the cache drive if it's formatted in BTRFS? I see there is a SSD TRIM plugin available but am not sure if it's needed.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like the plugin is the easiest method for now to have TRIM performed.

hi, i am about to upgrade but can't tell what exact version i'm on!  in the gui in the upper right it says 5.0, but i'm unsure if i'll need to run new permissions or not

also, are there any good guides on how to move apps to dockers?  i'm running sab, sickbeard and plex on plugins today, but would like to move to dockers

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i am about to upgrade but can't tell what exact version i'm on!  in the gui in the upper right it says 5.0, but i'm unsure if i'll need to run new permissions or not

also, are there any good guides on how to move apps to dockers?  i'm running sab, sickbeard and plex on plugins today, but would like to move to dockers

Sorry to hijack, but I have the exact same question. I just finished upgrading to V6.1.3, bought a 4TB for parity and a 3TB XFS data drive, and moved my old 2TB parity drive to data with XFS. So, I have 5TB available, and I need to get SAB, SB, CP, & Plex going again, but I'm not sure exactly where to start.

A quick Google search led me here: http://lime-technology.com/docker-guide/

So, I'll get started and report back with my results!  :D

• 10 months later...

I followed the upgrade instructions to go from my 5.0 to 6.2.  I have one parity and one disk that are the same size plus the cache.  The parity/data disks had most of my movie collection for Plex.  When I got the server back up, having moved my configuration files as defined here onto the boot USB, UNRAID seems to recognize the Parity ("valid") but Disk 1 is showing as unmountable.

My instinct is to format Drive 1 and hope that the parity drive is properly read from my 5.0 setup, thus rebuilding onto the fresh, clean Disk 1.  Is that the advice?

FWIW, Docker setup, Plex setup, etc all went fine and I'm really just lacking all my data on my disks.

I followed the upgrade instructions to go from my 5.0 to 6.2.  I have one parity and one disk that are the same size plus the cache.  The parity/data disks had most of my movie collection for Plex.  When I got the server back up, having moved my configuration files as defined here onto the boot USB, UNRAID seems to recognize the Parity ("valid") but Disk 1 is showing as unmountable.

My instinct is to format Drive 1 and hope that the parity drive is properly read from my 5.0 setup, thus rebuilding onto the fresh, clean Disk 1.  Is that the advice?

FWIW, Docker setup, Plex setup, etc all went fine and I'm really just lacking all my data on my disks.

NO, DO NOT FORMAT!  That would overwrite your data.  Please provide your diagnostics zip, see Need help? Read me first!

Format means "write an empty filesystem to this disk. That is what it has always meant in every operating system you have ever used. unRAID treats this write just like any other, by updating parity. So after a format you will have an empty filesystem and parity will agree you have an empty filesytem.
  • 2 months later...

Can I upgrade from V5 to V6 with the flash drive in the server, or do I need to take it out and install it on the laptop where I will do the upgrade?

Thanks

Assuming you aren't running some old v5 beta you can probably leave it in the server. The main thing is whether there were any changes to syslinux which would require you to make bootable again.

Can I upgrade from V5 to V6 with the flash drive in the server, or do I need to take it out and install it on the laptop where I will do the upgrade?

Thanks

Assuming you aren't running some old v5 beta you can probably leave it in the server. The main thing is whether there were any changes to syslinux which would require you to make bootable again.

This is probably a stupid question but........The instructions say to stop the array before backing up the flash drive. But when the array is stopped (off line), I don't have access to the flash drive anymore with Windows explorer....!

Thanks

This is probably a stupid question but........The instructions say to stop the array before backing up the flash drive. But when the array is stopped (off line), I don't have access to the flash drive anymore with Windows explorer....!

you should still have access via the 'flash' share which is present even with the array stopped.  You have not by any chance set the SMB security for that so that it is not visible on the network?

When the array is On, I can access the flash thru explorer in Network>TOWER>Flash

But when I stop the array and try to re-access flash, i have an error message saying "Windows cannot access \\Flash\tower"

You should be trying to access \\tower\flash

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

I'm still on v5.0.6... for me the biggest thing preventing me from upgrading is that if something goed wrong, there seems no way back to the previous version, am i correct?

It would be nice if i could replace the usb stick with v.5.0.6 with a v6 version, reboot and try from there, leaving all disks in place, no changes to the array whatsoever. That way i could ' testdrive' v6 and get to know it. My current sickbeard & sabnzbd plugins have altered sourcefiles and extended scripting, made by myself, i have no idea if i can keep that in v6? If i'm correct, every app runs as a vm (docker)? Can i still change the sources etc as i am doing now?

Also, i have squeezeserver running as a plugin, is there a docker for this as well? Where? 

1 minute ago, jowi said:

I'm still on v5.0.6... for me the biggest thing preventing me from upgrading is that if something goed wrong, there seems no way back to the previous version, am i correct?

It would be nice if i could replace the usb stick with v.5.0.6 with a v6 version, reboot and try from there, leaving all disks in place, no changes to the array whatsoever. That way i could ' testdrive' v6 and get to know it. My current sickbeard & sabnzbd plugins have altered sourcefiles and extended scripting, made by myself, i have no idea if i can keep that in v6? If i'm correct, every app runs as a vm (docker)? Can i still change the sources etc as i am doing now?

Also, i have squeezeserver running as a plugin, is there a docker for this as well? Where? 

Is you have a backup of the contents of your USB stick then you can always copy that back to revert to a previous release.

What might be easier if you just want to check things out is to set up unRAID on a new USB stick and then apply for a trial license key (valid for 30 days I believe with an option to extend).    That way you can control which release you use by which stick you boot off.  If you are happy with v6 you could then copy the files from the v6 USB drive to the v5 one (as your key is currently tied to the GUID of that one).  Alternatively copying the key onto the v6 USB stick and removing the trial key will cause unRAID to take you through the automated process for transferring a license to a new USB drive.

in your case you need to be aware that no plugin that you use on v5 will work on v6 (due to the switch from 32 bit to 64 bit).   Some plugins are also available on v6 but on the whole for apps plugins are now deprecated in favour of docker based solutions.   Also if you want to be able to revert to v5 you need to leaved your drives in reiserfs format.   In v6 this is still supported but XFS and BTRFS are now the preferred formats.   Some users have reported stability issues with reiserfs format disks on v6 that disappeared when the disks were converted to use XFS format.

7 minutes ago, jowi said:

Have you read the Upgrading wiki linked in the 2nd post of this thread?

Backup your flash and you should be able to go back to v5 by replacing the files on flash with those from your backup.

By sourcefiles, do you mean you have a custom compile of the applications?

There are logitechmediaserver dockers. The Community Applications plugin is the usual way to find and install dockers.

What i would like is to use a trail v6, boot from that usb stick, and initially leaving my array alone. I want to be able to keep using my v5 disks under v6, as long as i'm not familiar with v6.

If i can run v6 this way, i understand i can experiment with e.g. sabnzbd docker? For sab i'm using some additional custom scripting. For sickbeard i've edited a python source. I could then also try the squeezeserver docker.

Is that possible?

If that all works and i'm confident enough, i could convert the v5 array to v6 format?

Can the array/disks be converted while keeping the content which is on it now?

Edited by jowi
9 minutes ago, jowi said:

No. Changing format from ReiserFS to XFS will erase the disk. There are several threads about the best way to do this, but in a nutshell...

You need free space equal to your largest data drive. Copy all existing data from that largest drive elsewhere, then change the requested format in the drive properties to XFS. Start the array, it will show that drive as unmountable and ask to format it. Once it is formatted, copy all data from the next largest drive to the empty drive, lather, rinse, repeat.

I understand you currently have custom work done in SAB and sick that you want to keep, however I strongly recommend checking out NZBget and Sonarr instead, as they are better IMHO at doing what sab and sick were good at years ago. Better performance, resource usage, accuracy, etc.

This would be a good time for you to check out all the improvements that have been made in the last few years.

Oh man... my system has 9x 4TB disks at the moment... copying them one by one will take weeks or months... i'm not sure i want that.

Maybe it is better to build a 2nd, separate, small system and play with that first... and take it from there.

1 hour ago, jowi said:

What i would like is to use a trail v6, boot from that usb stick, and initially leaving my array alone. I want to be able to keep using my v5 disks under v6, as long as i'm not familiar with v6.

If i can run v6 this way, i understand i can experiment with e.g. sabnzbd docker? For sab i'm using some additional custom scripting. For sickbeard i've edited a python source. I could then also try the squeezeserver docker.

Is that possible?

If that all works and i'm confident enough, i could convert the v5 array to v6 format?

V6 will support the v5 disk formats.   You should only consider converting disks to the newer formats when you are happy with v6 and no longer want the ability to revert to v5.

56 minutes ago, jowi said:

Oh man... my system has 9x 4TB disks at the moment... copying them one by one will take weeks or months... i'm not sure i want that.

Maybe it is better to build a 2nd, separate, small system and play with that first... and take it from there.

I am half way done with changing 17x 6tb drives to xfs. Will get there eventually 

• 3 months later...