Understanding and choosing the right Sata Controller

Hello everyone..

I am looking to build a 1155 system, using a processor (G2030) , however I may go for a 1150 board. The reason is that I could easily source for 8 port sata mobos that are on 1155 however , the 1150 boards that are within my budget (below USD150) usually has 6 sata ports, in my country, Singapore.  i am planning to get a system with 8 hard disks, eventually expending to 24, which would be the maximum capacity of the chassis of my choice.

I tried reading and looking into the option to have a controller however I am not able to wrap my head around the concept. I do not want to run them in RAID (Not at the moment), in which I want the OS to recognize each drives individually. For this, I would need to get a PCIE Sata controller to accommodate the additional drives.

Now, there are Sata controllers that supports port multipliers. I am slightly confused on how this work. Does it mean that the controller would sit in the PCIE slot, and each port would support more than 1 hard disk using a special cable. For example a single cable that connects to one of the sata controller has additional heads that would connect up to, for example 8 hard drives. Is this the concept?

In which case, what would be the suitable type/model that I should get that would support up to 24 hard drives, assuming that the motherboard would be able to accommodate 8 hard drives.