How does everyone automate media downloading

JimPhreak

So everyone is paying roughly $15-$20 a month for usenet servers (primary & backup)?

Nope.  I use torrent and private trackers = no charge.  :)  SickRage allows you to automate the grabbing of tv shows, with lots of PT search providers already built-in.

I wish I had invites to private trackers but I don't at this time.  If I did I might use torrents exclusively although I'm absolutely in love with Sonarr so far so I'd be hard to give that up.  However I could always just use that exclusively with torrents if I wanted to.

For CP users:

How have you all streamlined your qualities for your automatic movie searches?  I'm getting a decent amount of bad quality rips being downloaded as 1080p versions even though they are clearly rips or even worse with korean subs.  Just wondering how best to eliminate the false positives.

In settings, under search/categories, I created an HD category and put in the following keywords:

Preferred: SPARKS, AMIABLE, GECKOS, ROVERS, SECTOR7, CiNEFiLE, Felony, CROSSBOW, BLOW, DAA, SiNNERS, STRATOS, TOPCAT, PSYCHD, VeDeTT, RUSTED

Required: bluray

Ignored: german, dutch, french, truefrench, danish, swedish, spanish, italian, korean, dubbed, swesub, korsub, dksubs, vain, hdtv, rc, r5, r5bd, chd, nlsubs, multi, web, WEB, WEB&DL, web&dl, RBG, RARBG

I subscribe to a few rss releases that post HD scene releases and add the movie to cp after it's released (on Android I check the rss feeds through inoreader about once or twice a day, if I see a movie I want, I click on the imdb link in the rss post, it opens the couch potato mobile app, select the HD category and send it to cp). 99% of the time I end up with the quality scene release

Thanks Aptalca i knew someone had a better way to do it than me.

JimPhreak you should try this.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So everyone is paying roughly $15-$20 a month for usenet servers (primary & backup)?

Nope.  I use torrent and private trackers = no charge.  :)  SickRage allows you to automate the grabbing of tv shows, with lots of PT search providers already built-in.

I wish I had invites to private trackers but I don't at this time.  If I did I might use torrents exclusively although I'm absolutely in love with Sonarr so far so I'd be hard to give that up.  However I could always just use that exclusively with torrents if I wanted to.

For CP users:

How have you all streamlined your qualities for your automatic movie searches?  I'm getting a decent amount of bad quality rips being downloaded as 1080p versions even though they are clearly rips or even worse with korean subs.  Just wondering how best to eliminate the false positives.

In settings, under search/categories, I created an HD category and put in the following keywords:

Preferred: SPARKS, AMIABLE, GECKOS, ROVERS, SECTOR7, CiNEFiLE, Felony, CROSSBOW, BLOW, DAA, SiNNERS, STRATOS, TOPCAT, PSYCHD, VeDeTT, RUSTED

Ignored: german, dutch, french, truefrench, danish, swedish, spanish, italian, korean, dubbed, swesub, korsub, dksubs, vain, hdtv, rc, r5, r5bd, chd, nlsubs, multi, web, WEB, WEB&DL, web&dl, RBG, RARBG

I subscribe to a few rss releases that post HD scene releases and add the movie to cp after it's released (on Android I check the rss feeds through inoreader about once or twice a day, if I see a movie I want, I click on the imdb link in the rss post, it opens the couch potato mobile app, select the HD category and send it to cp). 99% of the time I end up with the quality scene release

Thank you very much for this.

By your response I take it you only download full bluray rips?  I prefer rips in the 5-10GB range personally as full blurays don't seem to be as readily available.

Is private trackers better than usenet?

I find usenet to be more secure in hiding your own IP than anything torrent related. Private trackers can still be invaded by undercover and then through the torrents they can get everyones IPs. You cant do that with usenet since by nature it is not a peer to peer tracker.

I agree, also the use of a vpn, seedbox also can help deter the undercovers

For CP users:

Thank you very much for this.

By your response I take it you only download full bluray rips?  I prefer rips in the 5-10GB range personally as full blurays don't seem to be as readily available.

Oh no, I only download 720p rips. That's what I have the "quality" set to. The bluray keyword appears in all scene releases where the source is bluray

Is private trackers better than usenet?

I find usenet to be more secure in hiding your own IP than anything torrent related. Private trackers can still be invaded by undercover and then through the torrents they can get everyones IPs. You cant do that with usenet since by nature it is not a peer to peer tracker.

Having being on usenet for many years, I like private trackers better, mainly for:

1) Availability of less mainstream shows / movies / ..., and in a larger number of qualities (releases) for each show

2) Private trackers are completely free (you may decide to donate, but it's up to you)

3) the community thing. You are not isolated, but surrounded by like minded people in forums, irc.  Of course you chose how much interaction you want, if any.  8)

If you are really paranoid about security, you can route your torrent traffic through a VPN, or rent a seedbox.

This reddit sub is a probably a good starting point for anyone interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/trackers/

Using a vpn does not secure you. It all depends on which Vpn provider you use. The MPAA, RIAA will simply get the ip on the torrent, then when they see its a vpn provider, serve them with the legal paperwork to turn over the records for that vpn client. You would have to go through multiple vpn layers or use a vpn provider which does not cooporate with their legal obligations.

Using a vpn does not secure you. It all depends on which Vpn provider you use. The MPAA, RIAA will simply get the ip on the torrent, then when they see its a vpn provider, serve them with the legal paperwork to turn over the records for that vpn client. You would have to go through multiple vpn layers or use a vpn provider which does not cooporate with their legal obligations.

Certain VPN providers such as PIA/AirVPN do not keep logs for this exact reason so even if they are served they have no info to give.

Security is a relative thing, not black and white, like you are implying.  Personally I did some homework, and chose AirVPN, and I also have a seedbox.  Still, I have no illusion of having perfect security.  One could argue that even usenet is not 100% safe, simply because nothing is.  A usenet provider could be asked for their client records too, encryption might be broken, etc. Common sense tells me that the MPAA is going to go after huge public trackers with millions of users first, rather than small PTs, which often have less than 20K users.  It all depends on how paranoid your are, and what kind of secrets you are protecting.

What do you do if you cannot find something?  So right now I have OZNZB, and cannot find something only a couple years old, Cougar Town season 4.  Is the answer just more indexers?

Historical content can be challenging, but usually should be findable (if you have a good provider who provides several years of content). I just tried searching for Cougar Town on OZNZB and see all of Season 4 listed. Whether the links work or not will again likely depend on your provider (Giganews, SuperNews, AstraWeb, etc).

As a last resort I tend to use torrents for stuff I can't find on newsgroups, but I would say it's likely 5% give or take, but newsgroups cover the vast majority of my needs without issue.