Preclear.sh results - Questions about your results? Post them here.

I'm concerned about my WD EARS then - my last drive posted. When I was migrating data from the disk in Windows, some files would not get copied, and I was reported I/O Error, 0x8007045d. They weren't important files, and I thought, maybe preclear will fix it, it's probably a corrupted sector or something. But when I tried to preclear it, it just hung. It even brought down unMENU with it, but it was probably just a coincidence. After a few minutes when I got back into unMENU, it reported:

kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 1495592 (Errors)

kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sdd, logical block 186949 (Errors)

That can't be good, right?

Should I run a long SMART on this drive? Thanks.

Actually, that drive shows

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  149  149  140    Pre-fail  Always      -      403

and

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  198  197  000    Old_age  Always      -      939

There are 403 sectors already re-allocated, and another 939 that are pending re-allocation.  In other words, it needs to be replaced... soon, as it is failing.  the normalized VALUE is nearing the failure threshold.  Even though the failure threshold has not yet been reached, the drive is dying.

RMA it.  (sorry, I missed those lines the first time I looked at your post.  It is NOT a healthy drive.)

Ok, has run preclear a couple of times on one of my drives now. I have ran it one cycle at a time.

(BTW, Joe, it's great logging the results on the flash share, but your naming convention seem to nuke results coming in the same date. Not a big problem with the 2 TB disks that take around 24h to run, but I think I lost a few results on my 12 h runs of this 1TB disk.)

Now I have 3 results from these preclears, and there is a nagging feeling not everything is right.

============================================================================
** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sdb  /tmp/smart_finish_sdb
                ATTRIBUTE   NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE
      Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   118     112            6        ok          174433234
         Spin_Retry_Count =   100     100           97        near_thresh 0
         End-to-End_Error =   100     100           99        near_thresh 0
          High_Fly_Writes =     1       1            0        near_thresh 132
  Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    59      62           45        near_thresh 41
      Temperature_Celsius =    41      38            0        ok          41
   Hardware_ECC_Recovered =    58      43            0        ok          174433234
No SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW

Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   118     113            6        ok          177462074
          High_Fly_Writes =     1       1            0        near_thresh 173
  Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    59      61           45        near_thresh 41
      Temperature_Celsius =    41      39            0        ok          41

Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   114     118            6        ok          58789383
          Seek_Error_Rate =    65      64           30        ok          3153602
          High_Fly_Writes =     1       1            0        near_thresh 189
  Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    59      61           45        near_thresh 41
   Hardware_ECC_Recovered =    60      59            0        ok          58789383

What about that "Hardware_ECC_Recovered" increases coming and going. Doesn't sound good, but is it just me being the worrying kind? And what about the near_thresh of spin-retry and others. Need I worry?

/Lars Olof

Ok, has run preclear a couple of times on one of my drives now. I have ran it one cycle at a time.

(BTW, Joe, it's great logging the results on the flash share, but your naming convention seem to nuke results coming in the same date. Not a big problem with the 2 TB disks that take around 24h to run, but I think I lost a few results on my 12 h runs of this 1TB disk.)

Now I have 3 results from these preclears, and there is a nagging feeling not everything is right.

ATTRIBUTE   NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE
      Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   118     112            6        ok          174433234
         Spin_Retry_Count =   100     100           97        near_thresh 0
         End-to-End_Error =   100     100           99        near_thresh 0
          High_Fly_Writes =     1       1            0        near_thresh 132
  Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    59      62           45        near_thresh 41
      Temperature_Celsius =    41      38            0        ok          41
   Hardware_ECC_Recovered =    58      43            0        ok          174433234

Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   118     113            6        ok          177462074
          High_Fly_Writes =     1       1            0        near_thresh 173
  Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    59      61           45        near_thresh 41

Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   114     118            6        ok          58789383
          Seek_Error_Rate =    65      64           30        ok          3153602
          High_Fly_Writes =     1       1            0        near_thresh 189
  Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    59      61           45        near_thresh 41
   Hardware_ECC_Recovered =    60      59            0        ok          58789383

What about that "Hardware_ECC_Recovered" increases coming and going. Doesn't sound good, but is it just me being the worrying kind? And what about the near_thresh of spin-retry and others. Need I worry?

/Lars Olof

Yes, I know it only stores one report per drive, per day.  You can go back in the system log if you really want to look at the others.  For the most part, the latest is all you really care about.

As far as those attributes "near-threshold" I print that when the value is within 25 of the affiliated failure threshold.  It looks like the initial value of "100" on those few attributes is only within a few of the failure threshold of 97.  It just indicates the manufacturer has very little granularity in their normalization of those few attributed.

As far as Hardware_ECC_Recovered coming and going, it just indicates the NEW_VAL sometimes does not change.

If you look more closely, you'll see the NEW_VAL has moved FURTHER from the failure threshold in both cases.  That is not an indication of a problem, but perhaps of a drive working better as it gets some wear on it and bearing, etc get broken in.

Joe L.

Just for kicks I tried another pre-clear on the new disk that had failed SMART with thousands of re-allocated sectors in its first few hours of use.

This time I got this in the syslog (the last line is very interesting):

Mar 12 06:10:31 Tower2 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 0 (Errors)

Mar 12 06:10:31 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf] Unhandled error code (Errors)

Mar 12 06:10:31 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf]  Result: hostbyte=0x04 driverbyte=0x00 (System)

Mar 12 06:10:31 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf] CDB: cdb[0]=0x28: 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00 (Drive related)

Mar 12 06:10:31 Tower2 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 0 (Errors)

Mar 12 06:10:31 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf] Unhandled error code (Errors)

Mar 12 06:10:31 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf]  Result: hostbyte=0x04 driverbyte=0x00 (System)

Mar 12 06:10:31 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf] CDB: cdb[0]=0x28: 28 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 08 00 (Drive related)

Mar 12 06:10:31 Tower2 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sdf, sector 4096 (Errors)

Mar 12 06:10:36 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf] READ CAPACITY(16) failed (Drive related)

Mar 12 06:10:36 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf]  Result: hostbyte=0x04 driverbyte=0x00 (System)

Mar 12 06:10:36 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf] Sense not available. (Drive related)

Mar 12 06:10:36 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf] READ CAPACITY failed (Drive related)

Mar 12 06:10:36 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf]  Result: hostbyte=0x04 driverbyte=0x00 (System)

Mar 12 06:10:36 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf] Sense not available. (Drive related)

Mar 12 06:10:36 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf] Asking for cache data failed (Drive related)

Mar 12 06:10:36 Tower2 kernel: sd 4:0:0:0: [sdf] Assuming drive cache: write through (Drive related)

Mar 12 06:10:36 Tower2 kernel: sdf: detected capacity change from 2000398934016 to 0 (Drive related)

It was /dev/sdf.  Now it does not even show up in a listing of /dev.  It just died... completely.  It was not kidding when it said the capacity is now zero. ???

I guess an RMA is in order.  :(

Joe L.

I can't help but just be amazed at the poor quality of drives that are being shipped from  OEMs.  As long as they are all bad then I suppose it doesn't hurt any one of them too bad.  Instead of fixing their drives (which would probably increase costs) the OEMs have just trained the market to do extensive testing on any new drive before using it.

I put a new motherboard in and everything came up fine.  I also put in a SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 and when I tried to use it to preclear 2 drives, I get this:

Pre-Clear unRAID Disk /dev/sdc
################################################################## 1.7

Error: preclear_disk unable to continue.
smartctl is unable to run on /dev/sdc with the -d ata option.
smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial Number:    WD-WMAZA3280454
Firmware Version: 51.0AB51
User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Sat Mar 12 17:56:52 2011 EST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

Error SMART Status command failed
Please get assistance from http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
Register values returned from SMART Status command are:
ST =0x40
ERR=0x00
NS =0x0c
SC =0xc0
CL =0x87
CH =0xe0
SEL=0x40
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.$

I get this when I list drives available for preclearing:

====================================1.7
Disks not assigned to the unRAID array
  (potential candidates for clearing)
========================================
     /dev/sdb = ata-WDC_WD20EARS-00MVWB0_WD-WMAZA0492654
     /dev/sdc = scsi-SATA_WDC_WD20EARS-00_WD-WMAZA3280454

It seems like no matter what drive or what port I use, sdc produces this error.  I can only assume it has to do with the "scsi", but why or how?  Syslog attached for reference.

syslog-2011-03-12.zip

I can't help but just be amazed at the poor quality of drives that are being shipped from  OEMs.  As long as they are all bad then I suppose it doesn't hurt any one of them too bad.  Instead of fixing their drives (which would probably increase costs) the OEMs have just trained the market to do extensive testing on any new drive before using it.

thing is, most of the market wont do any kind of testing. unraid is a small niche of people who will do that but most common people wont test the hard drive. most shops that will sell you a custom pc wont do any testing either.

Also, fixing the drives might cost but, in the long run, replacing them could cost more (although i guess they estimate that).

thing is, most of the market wont do any kind of testing. unraid is a small niche of people who will do that but most common people wont test the hard drive. most shops that will sell you a custom pc wont do any testing either.

Also, fixing the drives might cost but, in the long run, replacing them could cost more (although i guess they estimate that).

You're probably right.  So the OEMs are really focused on making sure the drives is not DOA and also making sure it has enough spare sectors available so that the drive won't fail until it gets out of warranty.

You're probably right.  So the OEMs are really focused on making sure the drives is not DOA and also making sure it has enough spare sectors available so that the drive won't fail until it gets out of warranty.

I doubt if the drives get anything more than a brief physical and electrical test at the factory.    It simply would take too long otherwise.  I cannot imagine them taking 4 or 5 hours per drive to run them even through an internal "long" smart test.

As you said, the cost of the warranty returns is built into the initial price of the drive.  Most people will never know how poorly their drives are performing in their PCs.  They'll just blame it all on buggy operating systems and programs.

Joe L.

Just got the following result on a preclear, not sure how to interpret the results

Any help would be appreciated.

preclearresult.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Many thanks in advance  :)

It indicates that three of the blocks read back DID NOT have all zeros as expected.  This is the type of situation that causes hair loss (and parity checks that occasionally/constantly return parity errors)

The cause can be a bad drive (we've seen this several times with other users) or a bad disk controller (also seen several times) or a bad power supply (power supply noise caused the writes to not function properly) or temperature (disks got too hot and were unable to read their own tracks because of thermal expansion) or vibration (disks shaking made them unable to write accurately) or even the motherboard chipset (nforce4 chipsets on early motherboards were prone to this)

It cold also be your RAM, if it is not configured properly in your BIOS with the correct voltage, clock speed, and timing.  (run a memtest overnight to eliminate it as a suspect)

Good luck in isolating the issue.  I'd not use that drive in that server connected/configured as it current is until you can get through several more pre-clear cycles with NO errors.   

Unfortunately, this class of error is frequently not detectable by any other test other than reading the contents of the disk.  You might be lucky and see actual errors in the system log, but there are odds you will not see any error in the syslog and no errors in the smart report.

I know, it is not good news... but I would not trust a server where the data I wrote was not readable accurately, even if it was only four times during the post-read.    This class of error is EXACTLY why I added the post-read verify to the pre-clear script.  Prior to it being added, there was no way to learn of the bad disk/controller/??? until AFTER it was in the array and you had stored data on it and subsequently dis a parity check.  By then, it is MUCH harder to figure out which disk is causing the intermittent parity errors.

Joe L.

If my new 2TB EARS drive consistenly preclears at over 40 hours is that enough of a reason to rma it?  Preclear results enclosed.  Thanks.

I don't see anything glaring in the smartctl report.

You need to look in the system log for errors.  You need to look at what else your server was doing in the same time-frame.  It is not that far outside of the norm.  It could be your system was just busy. (or I/O was bottlenecked on your disk controller, or your disk controller is set to an IDE emulation mode/Legacy compatibility mode instead of AHCI mode which will slow it down)

I do not see a reason to RMA the drive.

Just got the following result on a preclear, not sure how to interpret the results

Any help would be appreciated.

preclearresult.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Many thanks in advance  :)

It indicates that three of the blocks read back DID NOT have all zeros as expected.   This is the type of situation that causes hair loss (and parity checks that occasionally/constantly return parity errors)

The cause can be a bad drive (we've seen this several times with other users) or a bad disk controller (also seen several times) or a bad power supply (power supply noise caused the writes to not function properly) or temperature (disks got too hot and were unable to read their own tracks because of thermal expansion) or vibration (disks shaking made them unable to write accurately) or even the motherboard chipset (nforce4 chipsets on early motherboards were prone to this)

It cold also be your RAM, if it is not configured properly in your BIOS with the correct voltage, clock speed, and timing.  (run a memtest overnight to eliminate it as a suspect)

Good luck in isolating the issue.  I'd not use that drive in that server connected/configured as it current is until you can get through several more pre-clear cycles with NO errors.   

Unfortunately, this class of error is frequently not detectable by any other test other than reading the contents of the disk.  You might be lucky and see actual errors in the system log, but there are odds you will not see any error in the syslog and no errors in the smart report.

I know, it is not good news... but I would not trust a server where the data I wrote was not readable accurately, even if it was only four times during the post-read.    This class of error is EXACTLY why I added the post-read verify to the pre-clear script.  Prior to it being added, there was no way to learn of the bad disk/controller/??? until AFTER it was in the array and you had stored data on it and subsequently dis a parity check.  By then, it is MUCH harder to figure out which disk is causing the intermittent parity errors.

Joe L.

Many thanks for the quick reply, I've run a thorough memtest returning no errors and have run three WD EARS drives through a preclear with no problems, i will try another preclear before i get rid of the drive but pretty happy that the server hardware is up to scratch,

Thanks again for the input it is appreciated.

I just finished a 3 cycle preclear on this disk.  I'm thinking I don't want to use this disk.  Has this disk reached a state that I could RMA it?  If not, at what point will WD (or other mfg) RMA it?

Thanks

dave

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       58
   3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   184   182   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       5775
   4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       472
   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   089   089   000    Old_age   Always       -       8685
  10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       75
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       44
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   187   187   000    Old_age   Always       -       39537
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   121   108   000    Old_age   Always       -       29
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       75
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       74

I just finished a 3 cycle preclear on this disk.  I'm thinking I don't want to use this disk.  Has this disk reached a state that I could RMA it?  If not, at what point will WD (or other mfg) RMA it?

Thanks

dave

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       58
   3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   184   182   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       5775
   4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       472
   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   089   089   000    Old_age   Always       -       8685
  10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       75
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       44
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   187   187   000    Old_age   Always       -       39537
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   121   108   000    Old_age   Always       -       29
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       75
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       74

Other than a moderately high load-cycle-count, but probably not too high given its run-time hours, I see nothing at all wrong with that drive.

What makes you want to RMA it?    There are no re-allocated sectors, and none pending re-allocation.  What attribute concerns you?

Joe L.

Thanks

dave

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       58
   3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   184   182   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       5775
   4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       472
   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   089   089   000    Old_age   Always       -       8685
  10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       75
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       44
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   187   187   000    Old_age   Always       -       39537
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   121   108   000    Old_age   Always       -       29
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       75
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       74

Other than a moderately high load-cycle-count, but probably not too high given its run-time hours, I see nothing at all wrong with that drive.

What makes you want to RMA it?    There are no re-allocated sectors, and none pending re-allocation.  What attribute concerns you?

Joe L.

I guess I was looking Raw_Read_Error_Rate, Offline_uncorrectable and the Multi_Zone_Error_Rate.  All the rest of my drives have zero for those attributes.  So you think this drive is okay then?

Thanks Joe.

Thanks

dave

Joe L.

I guess I was looking Raw_Read_Error_Rate, Offline_uncorrectable and the Multi_Zone_Error_Rate.  All the rest of my drives have zero for those attributes.  So you think this drive is okay then?

Thanks Joe.

Some drives show raw values, others do not, and MOST are completely meaningless to end-users.  If the normalized value is above the affiliated failure threshold the drive does not FAIL the smart test for that attribute.

In EVERY attribute you mentioned the VALUE is the original 200 that was set from the factory.  They've not changed at all. 

There is nothing wrong with that drive.

I'm pretty stupid and don't know how to make heads or tails of the readings from my preclear results.  Additionally, I used an older version of preclear so I hope that's not a problem.  Is everything fine with this drive?

== invoked as: ./preclear_disk.sh -M 4 /dev/sde
== áWDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 á áWD-WMAZA1147650== Disk /dev/sde has been successfully precleared
== with a starting sector of 63
== Ran 1 cycle
==
== Using :Read block size = 8225280 Bytes
== Last Cycle's Pre Read Time á: 7:17:36 (76 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Zeroing time á : 6:11:00 (89 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 12:46:34 (43 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Total Time á á : 26:16:19
==
== Total Elapsed Time 26:16:19
==
== Disk Start Temperature: 22C
==
== Current Disk Temperature: 25C,
==
** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sde á/tmp/smart_finish_sde
á á á á á á á áATTRIBUTE á NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS á á áRAW_VALUE
á á áTemperature_Celsius = á 125 á á 128 á á á á á á0 á á á áok á á á á á25
áNo SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW

á0 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.
á0 sectors were pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.
á0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.
á0 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,
á áthe number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.
á0 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.
á0 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,
á áthe number of sectors re-allocated did not change.
==
== S.M.A.R.T Initial Report for /dev/sde
==
Disk: /dev/sde

Device Model: á á WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
Serial Number: á áWD-WMAZA1147650
User Capacity: á á2,000,398,934,016 bytes
Device is: á á á áNot in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is: á 8
ATA Standard is: áExact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is: á áFri Mar 18 18:26:25 2011 Local time zone must be set--see zic m

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status: á(0x80) Offline data collection activity
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áwas never started.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áAuto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status: á á á( á 0) The previous self-test routine completed
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áwithout error or no self-test has ever
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á ábeen run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection: á á á á á á á á (36600) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: á á á á á á á á á á(0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áAuto Offline data collection on/off support.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áSuspend Offline collection upon new
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á ácommand.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áOffline surface scan supported.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áSelf-test supported.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áConveyance Self-test supported.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áSelective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities: á á á á á á(0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á ápower-saving mode.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áSupports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability: á á á á(0x01) Error logging supported.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áGeneral Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: á á á á( á 2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: á á á á( 255) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time: á á á á( á 5) minutes.
SCT capabilities: á á á á á á á(0x3035) SCT Status supported.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áSCT Feature Control supported.
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áSCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME á á á á áFLAG á á VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE á á áUPDATED áWHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
á1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate á á 0x002f á 100 á 253 á 051 á áPre-fail áAlways á á á - á á á 0
á3 Spin_Up_Time á á á á á á0x0027 á 166 á 166 á 021 á áPre-fail áAlways á á á - á á á 6700
á4 Start_Stop_Count á á á á0x0032 á 100 á 100 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 18
á5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct á 0x0033 á 200 á 200 á 140 á áPre-fail áAlways á á á - á á á 0
á7 Seek_Error_Rate á á á á 0x002e á 100 á 253 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
á9 Power_On_Hours á á á á á0x0032 á 100 á 100 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 2
á10 Spin_Retry_Count á á á á0x0032 á 100 á 253 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
á11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 á 100 á 253 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
á12 Power_Cycle_Count á á á 0x0032 á 100 á 100 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 16
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 15
193 Load_Cycle_Count á á á á0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 55
194 Temperature_Celsius á á 0x0022 á 128 á 119 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 22
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector á0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable á 0x0030 á 100 á 253 á 000 á áOld_age á Offline á á á- á á á 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count á á0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate á 0x0008 á 100 á 253 á 000 á áOld_age á Offline á á á- á á á 0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged. á[To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
áSPAN áMIN_LBA áMAX_LBA áCURRENT_TEST_STATUS
á á1 á á á á0 á á á á0 áNot_testing
á á2 á á á á0 á á á á0 áNot_testing
á á3 á á á á0 á á á á0 áNot_testing
á á4 á á á á0 á á á á0 áNot_testing
á á5 á á á á0 á á á á0 áNot_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
áAfter scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.
==

==
== S.M.A.R.T Final Report for /dev/sde
==

Local Time is: á áSat Mar 19 20:42:43 2011 Local time zone must be set--see zic m

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status: á(0x84) Offline data collection activity
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áwas suspended by an interrupting command from host.
Self-test execution status: á á á( á 0) The previous self-test routine completed
Offline data collection
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áAuto Offline data collection on/off support.
Short self-test routine

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME á á á á áFLAG á á VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE á á áUPDATED áWHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
á1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate á á 0x002f á 200 á 200 á 051 á áPre-fail áAlways á á á - á á á 0
á3 Spin_Up_Time á á á á á á0x0027 á 166 á 166 á 021 á áPre-fail áAlways á á á - á á á 6700
á4 Start_Stop_Count á á á á0x0032 á 100 á 100 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 18
á5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct á 0x0033 á 200 á 200 á 140 á áPre-fail áAlways á á á - á á á 0
á7 Seek_Error_Rate á á á á 0x002e á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
á9 Power_On_Hours á á á á á0x0032 á 100 á 100 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 28
á10 Spin_Retry_Count á á á á0x0032 á 100 á 253 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
á11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 á 100 á 253 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
á12 Power_Cycle_Count á á á 0x0032 á 100 á 100 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 16
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 15
193 Load_Cycle_Count á á á á0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 56
194 Temperature_Celsius á á 0x0022 á 125 á 119 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 25
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector á0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable á 0x0030 á 100 á 253 á 000 á áOld_age á Offline á á á- á á á 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count á á0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate á 0x0008 á 100 á 253 á 000 á áOld_age á Offline á á á- á á á 0

No Errors Logged

I'm pretty stupid and don't know how to make heads or tails of the readings from my preclear results.  Additionally, I used an older version of preclear so I hope that's not a problem.  Is everything fine with this drive?

== invoked as: ./preclear_disk.sh -M 4 /dev/sde
== áWDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 á áWD-WMAZA1147650== Disk /dev/sde has been successfully precleared
== Ran 1 cycle
==
== Using :Read block size = 8225280 Bytes
== Last Cycle's Pre Read Time á: 7:17:36 (76 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Zeroing time á : 6:11:00 (89 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 12:46:34 (43 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Total Time á á : 26:16:19
==
== Total Elapsed Time 26:16:19
==
== Disk Start Temperature: 22C
==
== Current Disk Temperature: 25C,
==
** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sde á/tmp/smart_finish_sde
á á á á á á á áATTRIBUTE á NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS á á áRAW_VALUE
á á áTemperature_Celsius = á 125 á á 128 á á á á á á0 á á á áok á á á á á25
áNo SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW

á0 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.
á0 sectors were pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.
á0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.
á0 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,
á áthe number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.
á0 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.
á0 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,
á áthe number of sectors re-allocated did not change.
==
== S.M.A.R.T Initial Report for /dev/sde
==

Local Time is: á áFri Mar 18 18:26:25 2011 Local time zone must be set--see zic m

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status: á(0x80) Offline data collection activity
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áwas never started.
Offline data collection
Short self-test routine

á1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate á á 0x002f á 100 á 253 á 051 á áPre-fail áAlways á á á - á á á 0
á7 Seek_Error_Rate á á á á 0x002e á 100 á 253 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
á9 Power_On_Hours á á á á á0x0032 á 100 á 100 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 2
193 Load_Cycle_Count á á á á0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 55
194 Temperature_Celsius á á 0x0022 á 128 á 119 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 22

No Errors Logged

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
áSPAN áMIN_LBA áMAX_LBA áCURRENT_TEST_STATUS
á á1 á á á á0 á á á á0 áNot_testing
á á2 á á á á0 á á á á0 áNot_testing
á á3 á á á á0 á á á á0 áNot_testing
á á4 á á á á0 á á á á0 áNot_testing
á á5 á á á á0 á á á á0 áNot_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
áAfter scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.
==

==
== S.M.A.R.T Final Report for /dev/sde
==

Local Time is: á áSat Mar 19 20:42:43 2011 Local time zone must be set--see zic m

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status: á(0x84) Offline data collection activity
á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á á áwas suspended by an interrupting command from host.
Offline data collection
Short self-test routine

á1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate á á 0x002f á 200 á 200 á 051 á áPre-fail áAlways á á á - á á á 0
á7 Seek_Error_Rate á á á á 0x002e á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 0
á9 Power_On_Hours á á á á á0x0032 á 100 á 100 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 28
193 Load_Cycle_Count á á á á0x0032 á 200 á 200 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 56
194 Temperature_Celsius á á 0x0022 á 125 á 119 á 000 á áOld_age á Always á á á - á á á 25

No Errors Logged

One of the major reasons the preclear script has changed and new versions released, is to try to make questions like yours go away.

Please ALWAYS download and use the latest version before pre-clearing a disk.  If you are going to invest 26+ hours in testing a disk, you might as well take advantage of the newest version of the output report.

What version of preclear_disk.sh are you using?

You can type

preclear_disk.sh -v

to find out.

Oh yes, your disk looks fine, however, that is an EARS drive.  It might need a jumper added to it for best performance.

What version of unRAID are you running?

Did you install a jumper on the drive before clearing it?

Joe L.

I'm running unRAID 4.7 and using preclear script v1.8.  How do I read the results?  I'm using a 2TB Hitachi 5k3000, ran preclear as MBR: unaligned because I read that these drives are NOT advanced format.

ar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ============================================================================
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ==
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: == S.M.A.R.T Final Report for /dev/sde 
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Disk: /dev/sde
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: 
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Device Model:     Hitachi HDS5C3020ALA632
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Serial Number:    ML0220F30PTZND
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Firmware Version: ML6OA580
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ATA Version is:   8
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 4
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Local Time is:    Sun Mar 20 02:06:33 2011 PDT
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: SMART support is: Enabled
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: General SMART Values:
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Offline data collection status:  (0x84)^IOffline data collection activity
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^Iwas suspended by an interrupting command from host.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^IAuto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Self-test execution status:      (   0)^IThe previous self-test routine completed
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^Iwithout error or no self-test has ever 
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^Ibeen run.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Total time to complete Offline 
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: data collection: ^I^I (23475) seconds.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Offline data collection
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: capabilities: ^I^I^I (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^IAuto Offline data collection on/off support.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^ISuspend Offline collection upon new
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^Icommand.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^IOffline surface scan supported.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^ISelf-test supported.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^INo Conveyance Self-test supported.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^ISelective Self-test supported.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)^ISaves SMART data before entering
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^Ipower-saving mode.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^ISupports SMART auto save timer.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Error logging capability:        (0x01)^IError logging supported.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^IGeneral Purpose Logging supported.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Short self-test routine 
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: recommended polling time: ^I (   1) minutes.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Extended self-test routine
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: recommended polling time: ^I ( 255) minutes.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: SCT capabilities: ^I       (0x003d)^ISCT Status supported.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^ISCT Feature Control supported.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ^I^I^I^I^ISCT Data Table supported.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   016    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:   2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   100   100   054    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:   3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   100   100   024    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:   4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       4
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   005    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   067    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:   8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005   100   100   020    Pre-fail  Offline      -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       29
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:  10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   060    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:  12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       4
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: 192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       4
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       4
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: 194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   206   206   000    Old_age   Always       -       29 (Lifetime Min/Max 24/30)
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: 197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: 198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: 199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: SMART Error Log Version: 1
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: No Errors Logged
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:  SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:     1        0        0  Not_testing
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:     2        0        0  Not_testing
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:     3        0        0  Not_testing
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:     4        0        0  Not_testing
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:     5        0        0  Not_testing
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: Selective self-test flags (0x0):
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:   After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay. 
Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ============================================================================

I also attached the full results because I wasn't sure if this was enough info.

Thanks

Results.txt

I'm running unRAID 4.7 and using preclear script v1.8.  How do I read the results?

You merely read the following summary:

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]: ** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sde  /tmp/smart_finish_sde

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:                ATTRIBUTE  NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:      Temperature_Celsius =  206    214            0        ok          29

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:  No SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:  0 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:  0 sectors were pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:  0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:  0 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:    the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:  0 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:  0 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,

Mar 20 02:06:35 media preclear_disk-diff[4291]:    the number of sectors re-allocated did not change.

Got a new disk that should be my parity drive

Any strange on this ... ?

== Disk /dev/sda has been successfully precleared
** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sda  /tmp/smart_finish_sda
               ATTRIBUTE   NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE
     Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   118     100          006        ok          180826886
        Spin_Retry_Count =   100     100          097        near_thresh 0
        End-to-End_Error =   100     100          099        near_thresh 0
         High_Fly_Writes =   076     100          000        ok          24
 Airflow_Temperature_Cel =   074     077          045        near_thresh 26
  Hardware_ECC_Recovered =   059     100          000        ok          180826886
0 sectors were pending re-allocation at the start of the preclear.
0 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear.
0 sectors had been re-allocated at the start of the preclear.
0 sectors have been re-allocated at the end of the preclear.

Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
Device Model:     ST3500630AS
Serial Number:    9QG0V4HA
Firmware Version: 3.AHG
User Capacity:    500,107,862,016 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   7
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Sat Mar 26 11:42:55 2011 CET
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   100   253   006    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0002   093   093   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0033   097   097   020    Pre-fail  Always       -       3295
 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   081   060   030    Pre-fail  Always       -       138061637
 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   089   089   000    Old_age   Always       -       9721
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   097    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0033   099   099   020    Pre-fail  Always       -       1405
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   081   051   045    Old_age   Always       -       19 (Lifetime Min/Max 19/19)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   019   049   000    Old_age   Always       -       19 (0 16 0 0)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   074   056   000    Old_age   Always       -       68683863
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       2
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
202 Data_Address_Mark_Errs  0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0