Preclear.sh results - Questions about your results? Post them here.

I ran preclear twice on the same WD20EARS disk.  The first time I got this in the summary:

Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_hda  /tmp/smart_finish_hda
                ATTRIBUTE   NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE
      Temperature_Celsius =   115     114            0        ok          37
  Reallocated_Event_Count =   198     199            0        ok          2
No SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW

1 sector was pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.
1 sector was pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.
1 sector was pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.
1 sector is pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,
    the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.
4 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.
4 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,
    the number of sectors re-allocated did not change. 

Can I trust this disk in the array? 

Thank you

I am tempted to say no... I have spent some time browsing the forums on SMART results, what I have come to understand is that what your drive is doing could possibly be ok, but parts of the drive ARE failing so it comes down to wanting to take a risk... Looking at the prices of disks I would advise taking out this disk, using it for some other kind of storage (its not broken yet) and replace your unraid drive with a fresh one that comes out of multuple preclear cycles without any issues..

I ran preclear twice on the same WD20EARS disk.  The first time I got this in the summary:

Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_hda  /tmp/smart_finish_hda
      Temperature_Celsius =   115     114            0        ok          37
  Reallocated_Event_Count =   198     199            0        ok          2

1 sector was pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.
1 sector was pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.
1 sector was pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.
1 sector is pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,
    the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.
4 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.
4 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,

Can I trust this disk in the array? 

Thank you

I am tempted to say no... I have spent some time browsing the forums on SMART results, what I have come to understand is that what your drive is doing could possibly be ok, but parts of the drive ARE failing so it comes down to wanting to take a risk... Looking at the prices of disks I would advise taking out this disk, using it for some other kind of storage (its not broken yet) and replace your unraid drive with a fresh one that comes out of multuple preclear cycles without any issues..

I would try another pre-clear cycle.  Each cycle so far has uncovered additional un-readable sectors.  If that continues, the drive is not one I'd want in my array.

On the other hand, I've got one drive with 100 re-allocated sectors that has never changed from the first pre-clear I ran it through.    Since it is stable, I trust it.

Joe L.

Hey Joe / Others,

I just finished preclearing another set of drives (4x2TB Seagate Drives), got some different results then the first 2 drives I pre-cleared (WD EARX), wondering if these are okay, they look okay to me, except for the "near_thresh".

Please let me know if I should add them to array (3 for data, 1 for parity).

Also on a side note, I have another drive, that I was planning on using for CACHE, should I preclear it?

Thanks again. (Next message will contain the RPTS portion)

preclear_finish_+5YD1Y2S8_2012-04-03.txt

preclear_finish_+5YD25FG8_2012-04-03.txt

preclear_finish_+5YD25FZB_2012-04-03.txt

preclear_finish_+6YD03A9G_2012-04-03.txt

Cont.

RPTS from previous post ^^  (Not sure if you require the start reports, they look really similar to the finished ones so I omitted them)

the reports all look fine.  Yes, I would pre-clear the cache drive to ensure it does not have any issues. (not because it will save time when adding it to an array)
Correct except that the number of disks you can concurrently pre-clear is more limited by your memory than anything else.  It has nothing to do with the three disk limit of the free version of unRAID since you are never assigning the disks to the array.

The three disk limit is how many disks you can assign to an unRAID array on the disk assignment screen, not how many you can attach to disk controllers in a given server.

Joe L.

I just completed the first preclear runs on two Seagate ST2000DM001's and had results nearly identical to khuong's.  I, too, am concerned about the near_thresh report by preclear for Spin_Retry_Count and End-to-End_Error. 

These are both brand new hdd's - why such high thresholds for these parameters?  Also, there was no diff between pre- and post- read for these values so I'm guessing it's reported in the 'Changed' summary because the values are close to the threshold values.

============================================================================
** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sda  /tmp/smart_finish_sda
      Raw_Read_Error_Rate =   112     100            6        ok          42522288
         Spin_Retry_Count =   100     100           97        near_thresh 0
         End-to-End_Error =   100     100           99        near_thresh 0
          High_Fly_Writes =    99     100            0        ok          1
  Airflow_Temperature_Cel =    66      71           45        near_thresh 34
      Temperature_Celsius =    34      29            0        ok          34

Thanks Joe for the excellent script!  I read the entire thread (and a few tangential ones along the way).  Your wealth of knowledge is impressive, your contribution greatly appreciated and your patience with repeat questions is commendable.  This is such a great board!

preclear_finish__S2F01FZA_2012-04-05.txt

preclear_start__S2F01FZA_2012-04-05.txt

preclear_rpt__S2F01FZA_2012-04-05.txt

To powerchoke and khuong (and any others worried about these 'near_thresh' alerts) - you can safely ignore them.  Joe very helpfully simplified the SMART reports and their before/after attribute changes, and added the 'near_thresh' alert to help users note any attributes that appeared to be degrading, approaching their failure threshold.  What he could not have foreseen was a silly SMART engineer at one of the hard disk manufacturers setting thresholds in the 90's!  I mean, setting End-to-End_Error with a starting perfect scale value at 100, then the failure point at 99!  There clearly is no margin for error there, so this is (like several others) somewhat experimental, and not something to worry about.  The End-to-End_Error attribute is not a critical item, is flagged as Old_age, not Pre_fail.  On the other hand, Spin_Retry_Count IS a critical item, so a failure threshold of 97 is unusual, considerably higher than I have seen any where else.  Such a narrow margin of error may indicate some 'fragility' in this aspect of the drive.  The implication is that as soon as it begins to show any Spin_Retry_Count issues at all, then the drive is very close to catastrophic failure.

Just a reminder, Pre_fail attributes are the only ones that are considered critical, the only ones that affect the SMART pass/fail test.  The other attributes (flagged as Old_age) are either informational or 'aging' items.  They are similar to human aging attributes such as wrinkling, arthritic joints, lost teeth, grey hair or balding, etc.  Critical attributes would be a heart beat, breathing rate, brain wave activity, successful Alzheimers test results, etc.  You may have increasing aging attributes, be a little slower, have small memory issues, but so long as you can pass ALL of the critical attributes, you are still a productive entity.  Hard disks are the same.

A suggestion to Joe, perhaps the near_thresh test and indication should be skipped for certain attributes.  I would suggest skipping any that are not Pre_fail, and any whose THRESH is 70 or higher, and perhaps any whose VALUE is 100 or higher.

Edit:  I should not have raised any concern about the 'fragility' of these drives.  Time will tell what these high threshold values actually mean.  It is possible that the drive engineers are now so confident in the robustness of these drives, that they don't expect these problems (Spin_Retry and End_to_end) to ever occur again!

I have two WD10EADS drives that I have been using in a D-Link DNS-323 for about two years. I would like to move one to my new Unraid box and leave one in the DNS-323 for backups of system images, unrecoverable personal media (which will be primarily hosted on the Unraid box).

From my amateur eye, the HDD WD-WCAU45276695 is healthier as it had 0 re-allocations before or during the pre-clear cycles, whilst WD-WCAU45501747 had 297 re-allocated sectors. Is this a correct reading of these results? Can I trust WD-WCAU45501747 to hold my backup data in the DNS-323?

Thanks in advance for any help.

preclear_finish__WD-WCAU45276695_2012-04-12.txt

preclear_rpt__WD-WCAU45276695_2012-04-12.txt

preclear_finish__WD-WCAU45501747_2012-04-12.txt

preclear_rpt__WD-WCAU45501747_2012-04-12.txt

Reallocated sectors are not a good sign, I would not use this disk in your unraid system. The number is also quite high, some people would advise to do a few more preclear cycles on the disk to see if the system is stable with this amount of errors or deteriorates. Most however do agree in just not using these disks, in most cases this is a sign of a disk that is going to fail on the short term.

First build, First Preclear.

I'm completely new to this so I have no real idea how to interpret my results. I don't believe there were any re allocations or other errors to be concerned about reported, but I though I would post my results for review just to be certain before I add these drives to the array and start transferring files.

I'm starting with 3 drives, a Seagate ST2000DL003 and 2 Hitachi Desktar 5k3000s. I will use one of the Hitachis as the parity drive once all my data is copied.

Thanks in advance for anyone looking over my results here!

preclear_resultsALL.txt

I have two WD10EADS drives that I have been using in a D-Link DNS-323 for about two years. I would like to move one to my new Unraid box and leave one in the DNS-323 for backups of system images, unrecoverable personal media (which will be primarily hosted on the Unraid box).

From my amateur eye, the HDD WD-WCAU45276695 is healthier as it had 0 re-allocations before or during the pre-clear cycles, whilst WD-WCAU45501747 had 297 re-allocated sectors. Is this a correct reading of these results? Can I trust WD-WCAU45501747 to hold my backup data in the DNS-323?

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the sectors that had been marked as un-readable were able to be written to their original sectors and not re-allocated.  That would indicate a problem when they were originally written. (in its prior life)

First build, First Preclear.

I'm completely new to this so I have no real idea how to interpret my results. I don't believe there were any re allocations or other errors to be concerned about reported, but I though I would post my results for review just to be certain before I add these drives to the array and start transferring files.

I'm starting with 3 drives, a Seagate ST2000DL003 and 2 Hitachi Desktar 5k3000s. I will use one of the Hitachis as the parity drive once all my data is copied.

Thanks in advance for anyone looking over my results here!

Your disks look good.  Enjoy.

this drive ok for use? did 1-cycle of preclear on it.

Disk: /dev/sdh

smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model:    WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0

Serial Number:    WD-WCAZA0102247

Firmware Version: 50.0AB50

User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes

Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is:  8

ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated

Local Time is:    Tue Apr 17 00:24:52 2012 EDT

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status:  (0x84) Offline data collection activity

was suspended by an interrupting command from host.

Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.

Self-test execution status:      (  0) The previous self-test routine completed

without error or no self-test has ever

been run.

Total time to complete Offline

data collection: (38400) seconds.

Offline data collection

capabilities: (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.

Auto Offline data collection on/off support.

Suspend Offline collection upon new

command.

Offline surface scan supported.

Self-test supported.

Conveyance Self-test supported.

Selective Self-test supported.

SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering

power-saving mode.

Supports SMART auto save timer.

Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.

General Purpose Logging supported.

Short self-test routine

recommended polling time: (  2) minutes.

Extended self-test routine

recommended polling time: ( 255) minutes.

Conveyance self-test routine

recommended polling time: (  5) minutes.

SCT capabilities:       (0x3035) SCT Status supported.

SCT Feature Control supported.

SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG    VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate    0x002f  199  199  051    Pre-fail  Always      -      166

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027  166  164  021    Pre-fail  Always      -      6700

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032  092  092  000    Old_age  Always      -      8213

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  200  200  140    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

7 Seek_Error_Rate        0x002e  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032  082  082  000    Old_age  Always      -      13426

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032  100  253  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

12 Power_Cycle_Count      0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      14

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      13

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032  144  144  000    Old_age  Always      -      169671

194 Temperature_Celsius    0x0022  120  111  000    Old_age  Always      -      30

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      13

198 Offline_Uncorrectable  0x0030  200  200  000    Old_age  Offline      -      4

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate  0x0008  200  200  000    Old_age  Offline      -      5

SMART Error Log Version: 1

No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error

# 1  Short offline      Completed: read failure      70%    13391        3906014840

# 2  Short offline      Completed: read failure      60%    13390        3906014848

# 3  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    13330        -

# 4  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    13162        -

# 5  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    12994        -

# 6  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    12827        -

# 7  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    12660        -

# 8  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    12492        -

# 9  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    12324        -

#10  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    12157        -

#11  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    11989        -

#12  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    11821        -

#13  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    11653        -

#14  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    11485        -

#15  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    11318        -

#16  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    11150        -

#17  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    10982        -

#18  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    10814        -

#19  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    10647        -

#20  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    10479        -

#21  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    10311        -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1

SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

1        0        0  Not_testing

2        0        0  Not_testing

3        0        0  Not_testing

4        0        0  Not_testing

5        0        0  Not_testing

Selective self-test flags (0x0):

After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.

If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

this drive ok for use? did 1-cycle of preclear on it.

smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:

been run.

Offline data collection

command.

Self-test supported.

power-saving mode.

Short self-test routine

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG    VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate    0x002f  199  199  051    Pre-fail  Always      -      166

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027  166  164  021    Pre-fail  Always      -      6700

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032  092  092  000    Old_age  Always      -      8213

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  200  200  140    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032  082  082  000    Old_age  Always      -      13426

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032  100  253  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

12 Power_Cycle_Count      0x0032  100  100  000    Old_age  Always      -      14

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      13

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032  144  144  000    Old_age  Always      -      169671

194 Temperature_Celsius    0x0022  120  111  000    Old_age  Always      -      30

196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      13

198 Offline_Uncorrectable  0x0030  200  200  000    Old_age  Offline      -      4

199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      0

200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate  0x0008  200  200  000    Old_age  Offline      -      5

No Errors Logged

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error

# 1  Short offline      Completed: read failure      70%    13391        3906014840

# 2  Short offline      Completed: read failure      60%    13390        3906014848

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1

SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

IT is very unusual for a pre-cleared disk to have sectors pending re-allocation.  You have 13 sectors pending re-allocation.  They would have had to have been identified during the post-read phase.   

That, combine with the two failed "short tests" indicates you need to go through another pre-clear cycle before trusting the disk in your array.

next time, you should post the pre-clear report, not just a smartctl report, as it will show more of how the disk changed during the process.

you mean this?

========================================================================1.13

== invoked as: ./preclear_disk.sh -M 4 /dev/sdh

==  WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0    WD-WCAZA0102247

== Disk /dev/sdh has been successfully precleared == with a starting sector of 64 == Ran 1 cycle == == Using :Read block size = 8225280 Bytes == Last Cycle's Pre Read Time  : 7:17:33 (76 MB/s)

== Last Cycle's Zeroing time  : 7:38:59 (72 MB/s)

== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 18:23:33 (30 MB/s)

== Last Cycle's Total Time    : 33:21:15

==

== Total Elapsed Time 33:21:15

==

== Disk Start Temperature: 27C

==

== Current Disk Temperature: 30C,

==

** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sdh  /tmp/smart_finish_sdh

ATTRIBUTE  NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE

Raw_Read_Error_Rate =  199    200          51        ok          166

Temperature_Celsius =  120    123            0        ok          30

5 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.

5 sectors were pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.

0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.

13 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,

a change of 8 in the number of sectors pending re-allocation.

0 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.

0 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,

==

== S.M.A.R.T Initial Report for /dev/sdh ==

smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build) Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Local Time is:    Sun Apr 15 15:03:38 2012 EDT

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION === SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status:  (0x82) Offline data collection activity

was completed without error.

been run.

Offline data collection

command.

Self-test supported.

power-saving mode.

Short self-test routine

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16 Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate    0x002f  200  200  051    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032  082  082  000    Old_age  Always      -      13393

193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032  144  144  000    Old_age  Always      -      169670

194 Temperature_Celsius    0x0022  123  111  000    Old_age  Always      -      27

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      5

No Errors Logged

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1  SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

==

==

== S.M.A.R.T Final Report for /dev/sdh

==

smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build) Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION === SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:

been run.

Offline data collection

command.

Self-test supported.

power-saving mode.

Short self-test routine

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16 Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

No Errors Logged

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1  SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS

==