My New Baby

UPDATE: Parts Ordered, should be here Monday. Will post pictures when it all gets here.

Case: Fractal Define R5

Extra Case Fans: Cougar Vortex 140mm PWM x 2

Processor: Xeon E3-1231v3

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4

PSU:  Seasonic G Series 550w

Video: EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 16gb (2x8)

Cache: Samsung Evo 850 500gb

Parity/Data: WD Red 4tb x 2

That's almost the same as my desktop system I put together a few months back.  That's a lot more video card than necessary if it's only doing unRAID and dockers, but I reckon it will server other purposes too.

Affirm, I plan to run a local vm of Win 8.1 for normal day to day computer use and ripping DVDs/BR etc etc...  And maybe some light gaming.

Array: WD Red 2tb x 2

I would recommend just getting a WD 4TB Red instead of these. 2x2TB costs more than 1x4TB, unless of course you already have the 2x2TB drives.

In addition to costing less (really, what more motivation do you need than that!) you will give yourself less headaches down the road when it comes time to upgrade your arrays capacity.

Array: WD Red 2tb x 2

I would recommend just getting a WD 4TB Red instead of these. 2x2TB costs more than 1x4TB, unless of course you already have the 2x2TB drives.

In addition to costing less (really, what more motivation do you need than that!) you will give yourself less headaches down the road when it comes time to upgrade your arrays capacity.

Yeah I was thinking about that.  I have no extra drives laying around.  And I'm think I want at least two drives in the array so I can duplicate a couple of really important folders across both drives.

Affirm, I plan to run a local vm of Win 8.1 for normal day to day computer use and ripping DVDs/BR etc etc...  And maybe some light gaming.

Funny, I never even thought of doing this.  Since I'm building a new server I might want to consider doing something like this as well.  So where do you run WIN 8.1 from?  On the cache perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...

Funny, I never even thought of doing this.  Since I'm building a new server I might want to consider doing something like this as well.  So where do you run WIN 8.1 from?  On the cache perhaps?

I'm still learning myself.  But the virtual disk that contains Windows would be on the cache drive yes.