[REQUEST] - TFTP/PXE Server

• 2 weeks later...

I'm failing miserably....  :-[

what have you got so far ?

I am trying to use other's work but none seem to be liking me very much:  https://registry.hub.docker.com/search?q=tftp&searchfield=

I can at least get this container to start but the log show in-tftpd fatal errors:  https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/yaleh/supervisord-tftpd/

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Container>
  <Name>TFTP2</Name>
  <Description>Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) is a simple, lock-step, File Transfer Protocol which allows a client to get from or put a file onto a remote host. One of its primary uses is in the early stages of nodes booting from a local area network.</Description>
  <Registry>https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/yaleh/supervisord-tftpd/</Registry>
  <Repository>yaleh/supervisord-tftpd</Repository>
  <BindTime>true</BindTime>
  <Privileged>false</Privileged>
  <Environment/>
  <Networking>
    <Mode>bridge</Mode>
    <Publish>
      <Port>
        <HostPort>69</HostPort>
        <ContainerPort>69</ContainerPort>
        <Protocol>udp</Protocol>
      </Port>
    </Publish>
  </Networking>
  <Data>
    <Volume>
      <HostDir>/mnt/cache/TFTP/</HostDir>
      <ContainerDir>/var/lib/tftpboot/</ContainerDir>
      <Mode>rw</Mode>
    </Volume>
  </Data>
  <Version>7f07246a</Version>
  <WebUI>https://git.kernel.org/cgit/network/tftp/tftp-hpa.git/</WebUI>
  <Banner>http://imgur.com/BQGxwMN</Banner>
  <Icon>http://imgur.com/5uyyGGy</Icon>
  <ExtraParams></ExtraParams>
</Container>

I'm intrigued by this and have read the wikipedia page on PXE, would you mind elaborating on some use cases in Unraid John?  I want to try it, just trying to convince myself I need to!  ;D

Lot's of things...

Mount/Boot OS installation images.

Mount/Run full blown OS's...see the guide for PXE booting OpenELEC in the KVM forum.  :)

Run rescue CDs

Run Linux Live distros

On and on...

Heck...you can PXE boot unRAID.  I used to do this when I ran it as an ESXi VM.

John

JJiF2wR.png

So could I for instance PXE boot my desktop into Linux Mint, preserving my native Win8 install?  What about data persistence?

If you want to boot a Live version of Mint...sure.  It won't touch your HD unless you tell it to.

For data persistence you can look into casper-rw.  I never messed with it though.

So could I for instance PXE boot my desktop into Linux Mint, preserving my native Win8 install?  What about data persistence?

If you want to boot a Live version of Mint...sure.  It won't touch your HD unless you tell it to.

For data persistence you can look into casper-rw.  I never messed with it though.

Still trying to wrap my head around this... unRAID is my home server... mainly store media, documents... My desktop is Win 7. If I want to boot into something like PartedMagic, I stick my PartedMagic thumb drive into the machine and boot it. I use it to image disks, clone stuff... partition things, etc.

Is there anything else the PXE stuff would let me do? I get the upcoming Openelec virtual booting... but now you can get one of these Wetek.opelec htpcs for $99... (on openelec.tv web site)... so this seems much simpler that try to run OE from unRAID.... I just ordered one of them today to test out- I hope its better than OE on a Raspberry Pi.. Any thoughts on this? Please do not take my ignorance for arrogance; I really do not understand much about virtualization.

I do not deploy windows installations.. when Win 10 comes out, I will install it on an old hdd to test it.

Thanks...

H.

For me it is just the "coolness" factor to be able to say my server have 4 video cards in it, serving 4 different OE instances to 4 different TVs in 4 different rooms.  :)  My server is pretty much in the center of my basement so the longest HDMI/USB runs I need are 50ft.  I can designate as much or as little cpu/ram to each instance as needed.

Add the fact that I never liked having settop boxes at the TVs.

Right now I use Flircs (via the USB runs) and every TV with DirecTV RC65X remotes that you can get on Ebay for under $5 each.  My next project is to try and move to RF remotes for each to try and avoid the need for the USB runs.

John

Still trying to wrap my head around this... unRAID is my home server... mainly store media, documents... My desktop is Win 7. If I want to boot into something like PartedMagic, I stick my PartedMagic thumb drive into the machine and boot it. I use it to image disks, clone stuff... partition things, etc.

Is there anything else the PXE stuff would let me do? I get the upcoming Openelec virtual booting... but now you can get one of these Wetek.opelec htpcs for $99... (on openelec.tv web site)... so this seems much simpler that try to run OE from unRAID.... I just ordered one of them today to test out- I hope its better than OE on a Raspberry Pi.. Any thoughts on this? Please do not take my ignorance for arrogance; I really do not understand much about virtualization.

I do not deploy windows installations.. when Win 10 comes out, I will install it on an old hdd to test it.

Thanks...

H.

That OpenELEC box won't play Hi10P, for starters. That said, it's neat they built in a TV tuner. I'd rather spend the $100 on a new, larger HDD... oh wait. I did  8)

Also, I haven't tested a RPi2 with MySQL, but in general with OE it is MUCH faster than a RPi1 (Model B 512MB). Still not enough for Hi10P though, or it will play but with artifacts all over the place.

For me it is just the "coolness" factor to be able to say my server have 4 video cards in it, serving 4 different OE instances to 4 different TVs in 4 different rooms.  :)  My server is pretty much in the center of my basement so the longest HDMI/USB runs I need are 50ft.  I can designate as much or as little cpu/ram to each instance as needed.

Add the fact that I never liked having settop boxes at the TVs.

Right now I use Flircs (via the USB runs) and every TV with DirecTV RC65X remotes that you can get on Ebay for under $5 each.  My next project is to try and move to RF remotes for each to try and avoid the need for the USB runs.

John

Regarding remotes, you may want to look at Logitech Harmony remotes to control the entire room (TV, disc player, etc), or get the Pulse-CEC adapters and pair each one to a VM... however, I'm not sure if unRAID can differentiate between several of the same device via serial number or something like that (not sure how the USB attachment works, yet).

Can I ask where you all placed your *.cfg files for your menu setup and stuff? I have the docker built and running and pointed the images to a test iso share i made. But PC's are not receiving the bootfile and aborting PXE boot.

::EDIT::

I'm using Sparky's TFTP docker. After reading this thread closer. I dont think its the right one. :-( Would love to deploy this in my office for imaging and offline diag (Break fix shop)

As posted in the KVM forum, in the PXE booting OpenELEC thread.

I've created a container, based off of sparklyballs tftpdserver dockerfile that runs dnsmasq configured to proxy dns/dhcp to an existing service (e.g. a router) and which provides the tftp server required for pxe booting.

I've not created an unRAID template or repository, but the link to it on the docker hub is https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/butlerpeter/dnsmasq-docker-unraid/

I baked the all of the virtio drivers for each OS into my WinPE_x64 image.  No more need to mount the virtio driver ISO or change the NIC type to e1000.  Windows OS installers will now recognize the NIC, storage controller and memory balloon devices right out of the box.  :)

1Qt3wtk.png

Jl9uqXT.png

uxx8kW7.png

QnA2jzm.png

I baked the all of the virtio drivers for each OS into my WinPE_x64 image.  No more need to mount the virtio driver ISO or change the NIC type to e1000.  Windows OS installers will now recognize the NIC, storage controller and memory balloon devices right out of the box.  :)

God that is sexy... the how to in your plugins thread?  I have that bookmarked just haven't had time.