Followed step 1.

Could not find kernel image: linux
boot:

Make Bootable v1.2
Volume in drive E is UNRAID
Volume Serial Number is asdf
Press any key to continue . . .
E:\syslinux\syslinux.exe -maf E:
The system cannot find the path specified.
Completed
Press any key to continue . . .

Copied bzroot, bzimage, make_boot, and syslinux over.  Then did a make bootable and it appears to have worked.

When stuck at the SYSLINUX part, the USB stick is not bootable.

Take it out of unRAID and put in your PC, run "make_bootable".

Perhaps, LimeTech should get the Linux equivalent of make_bootable, include it in the plugin and run it as a part of the upgrade plugin.

Hey that's a good idea  8)  I'll look into it.

@limetech will there come a new plugin in the next days ? If yes i wait for the new plugin, if no then i try it with the old one :(

• 2 weeks later...

@limetech

Thank you for this! I was holding off upgrading from 5.0.5 until this came out of beta and this plugin worked perfectly. Not sure why others are having issues though. I stopped the array and backed up prior to running the commands though. Just in case!

Anyway, thanks again!

I also had no luck with method 1 or with method 2.

I ended up having to pull the stick, copy over the syslinux folder from the unraid 6 zip, run make_bootable, then it could boot into v6. The nice thing was all my config was there and working (besides a failed drive after moving hardware to a new case, that's rebuilding now).

I ended up having to pull the stick, copy over the syslinux folder from the unraid 6 zip, run make_bootable, then it could boot into v6. The nice thing was all my config was there and working (besides a failed drive after moving hardware to a new case, that's rebuilding now).

Weird. Wonder why it works for some and not others. I have no idea if method 1 would log anything that might be useful. Hopefully @limetech can chime in here and give some insight.

Weird. Wonder why it works for some and not others. I have no idea if method 1 would log anything that might be useful. Hopefully @limetech can chime in here and give some insight.

I should have added more notes. I think method 1 had a message along the lines of /var/tmp/...(something) not found. Might not be very helpful but I was just trying to get it working, not take pics of errors.

same.

I also had to do this

I had to do the same thing.

Also, after I copied syslinux over and ran make_bootable.bat and then rebooted the server it hung right after the BIOS checks... I check the BIOS and boot settings were still OK and unchanged...after a mild panic attack, I put the flash drive in a different USB slot and then the server booted up just fine.

I'd like to know why the system did not like the same USB slot that the flash drive was inserted in before???

Hi all,

I'm a bit behind the times and currently living with 5.0-rc8a. Is it wise to upgrade from this to 5.0.6 first (or an earlier version as some post suggest?) to enact the permissions tool before moving to ver. 6?

I believe my Celeron E3200 is 64bit and hope to replace this and the mobo in the near future with a Xeon and new mobo.

Any advice much appreciated!

Jasp

Hi all,

I'm a bit behind the times and currently living with 5.0-rc8a. Is it wise to upgrade from this to 5.0.6 first (or an earlier version as some post suggest?) to enact the permissions tool before moving to ver. 6?

I believe my Celeron E3200 is 64bit and hope to replace this and the mobo in the near future with a Xeon and new mobo.

Any advice much appreciated!

Jasp

http://ark.intel.com/products/42770/Intel-Celeron-Processor-E3200-1M-Cache-2_40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

It is indeed 64bit

No, upgrade straight to the latest v6, referring to the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide when necessary.  You WILL need to run the New Permissions tool, once you have upgraded.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an issue using this script too.  Followed the instructions (didn't see any errors flagged), but rebooted and nothing :(

I pulled the USB and thought I would run the makebootable script to see if that works, and it couldn't find syslinux folder... and then I cross checked the clean install I downloaded for my new HP G8 server and noticed syslinux wasn't copied over at all with the .plg update process.

I copied over the syslinux folder from the clean install I had downloaded, ran the makebootable script again, and reinserted it and it booted perfectly!  Did anyone else find that syslinux was missing?

I had an issue using this script too.  Followed the instructions (didn't see any errors flagged), but rebooted and nothing :(

I pulled the USB and thought I would run the makebootable script to see if that works, and it couldn't find syslinux folder... and then I cross checked the clean install I downloaded for my new HP G8 server and noticed syslinux wasn't copied over at all with the .plg update process.

I copied over the syslinux folder from the clean install I had downloaded, ran the makebootable script again, and reinserted it and it booted perfectly!  Did anyone else find that syslinux was missing?

I had the exact same issue on a remote unRaid system that I manage. Luckily the user was around to pull the stick and put it in a Windows PC to copy over the needed folder. It would be nice to get this worked out. I have 2 more remote unRaid systems to upgrade.

I had the exact same issue on a remote unRaid system that I manage. Luckily the user was around to pull the stick and put it in a Windows PC to copy over the needed folder. It would be nice to get this worked out. I have 2 more remote unRaid systems to upgrade.

Likewise - I'm 4500 miles away from mine and can't take the chance that it won't boot!

That's only one of several reasons why it might fail to boot.  My recommendation would be to not even try this upgrade, unless you or a trusted representative is present.

Reasons it could fail -

* needs updated syslinux support [boot stops before unRAID boot menu] (run make_bootable with updated syslinux files)

* new kernel selects different network chipset if more than one [no networking, so you're disconnected] (either connect cable to other NIC or disable wrong one)

* BIOS changes boot order [no boot, can't find bootable disk (should not happen if flash not removed)] (correct boot order in BIOS settings)

* A very few reports that first boot was not successful, so they had to boot a second time, this time successfully [reason unknown]

These are all uncommon, with the syslinux update the most likely.  I would not attempt it without someone present.  I would also keep the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide handy, especially the troubleshooting section.

Is there any reason to do a clean install vs using this upgrade plugin (other than the upgrade might fail)? I have a ~3 year old 5.0-rc11 server that I'm finally ready to update. I have several plugins, packages, customized go script, etc. The only thing I'd like to keep is my config, otherwise I want to switch to docker and get back to as clean an install as possible. This plugin will give me a clean install with only my array/shares config carried over right? All of my other plugins/packages/customizations will be removed?

I have two identical USB thumb drives, so I would make a backup and have a fail safe either way.

Thanks!

Is there any reason to do a clean install vs using this upgrade plugin (other than the upgrade might fail)? I have a ~3 year old 5.0-rc11 server that I'm finally ready to update. I have several plugins, packages, customized go script, etc. The only thing I'd like to keep is my config, otherwise I want to switch to docker and get back to as clean an install as possible. This plugin will give me a clean install with only my array/shares config carried over right? All of my other plugins/packages/customizations will be removed?

I have two identical USB thumb drives, so I would make a backup and have a fail safe either way.

If your v5 flash is setup in a standard way, all customizations are in the standard places, then yes, you should be able to upgrade safely using the upgrade plugin.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

Updated from 5.05 to 6.1-rc5 with no issue (did have to remove the usb stick and run make_bootable).

The only question I have is how do I enable disk shares?  On 5.0.5 you would just click on the disk and be allowed to share the disk and set the security permissions for it...I don't see that in 6.1.

Edit: I had to set "Enable disk shares" from "Auto" to "Yes" for me to see the disk shares :)

Take Care

shares.PNG.0acdf75b7c0434f064e908f4ce49878c.PNG

The only question I have is how do I enable disk shares?  On 5.0.5 you would just click on the disk and be allowed to share the disk and set the security permissions for it...I don't see that in 6.1.

Edit: I had to set "Enable disk shares" from "Auto" to "Yes" for me to see the disk shares :)

That's a recent change, I believe, and a significant one.  Apart from a recent post by bonienl, I don't think I have seen any mention of it anywhere!  It IS in the Help info for Enable disk shares.  I'll make a note about it in the upgrade guide.

bonienl, hoping you will see this, there's a misspelling in the Help info for this.  I don't know what 'partiticapting' is, but it sounds like too much adult fun for this board!

That's a recent change, I believe, and a significant one.  Apart from a recent post by bonienl, I don't think I have seen any mention of it anywhere!  It IS in the Help info for Enable disk shares.  I'll make a note about it in the upgrade guide.

bonienl, hoping you will see this, there's a misspelling in the Help info for this.  I don't know what 'partiticapting' is, but it sounds like too much adult fun for this board!

This is explained in more detail in the 6.1rc1 release announcement

This is explained in more detail in the 6.1rc1 release announcement

Indeed it is!  I must have skimmed right over it!