Upgrading unRaid-5 to unRaid-6

• 4 weeks later...

So I just ran "make_bootable".  I had to edit the batch file since syslinux.exe was now in the unRAID5 directory, but it eventually ran fine.

Still no go.

Get the "boot" prompt upon booting.

I upgraded from unraid 5.06 release.  Not in a vm.  I previously had run the change permissions script.

I'd rather not have to do a complete re-image and re-install with my license, etc.  So if anyone has any ideas of what's going on, I'm all ears :)

Thank you RobJ.

I have no syslinux folder.  I'm not angry, but frustrated b/c I was excited about taking the simple "plugin" approach to doing this, and now it's all messed up :)

Incidentally I was able to get into v6 (but did not start the array) by typing:

/bzimage initrd=/bzroot

Based on the above, does that suggest an "easy" fix - or do I really have to start from scratch with the more complicated way of upgrading?

Just updated a friends system from 5.0.5 to v6 using the plugin, after reboot the pen didn’t boot, inserted pen in my pc and it was missing the syslinux folder, copied it from a v6 install and clicked make_bootable and then booted to v6 successfully.

Upgrade my friends other server using the plugin and same thing happened, pen didn’t boot and no syslinux folder, resolved the same way.

I notice that if you install v5 via the download from the LimeTech site then that download has a 'syslinux' folder inside the ZIP.  Make me suspect that many of those who are ending up without a syslinux folder have been upgrading manually (by copying bzimage and bzroot) from earlier releases of unRAID.

Maybe the upgrade plugin needs to spot this and take appropriate action.

• 2 months later...

Edit3: Looks like installing from plugin doesn't get you the syslinux folder, which is required for the script.  I copied it from the 6.0.1 .zip release and ran make_bootable_mac again and it succeeded.  Might want to add copying that syslinux folder to the plugin install.

I used version 2 and also had to download the latest release and then copy the syslinux folder over to the memory stick, and than ran make_bootable.  Without this step, make_bootable failed.

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit late upgrading to v6.  I came from 5.0.3, and used a telnet session as described in the first method.  Like many others my server did not boot after the upgrade.  Following the advice of many others here I downloaded the v6 zip file, pulled my flash drive from the server, plugged it in to my Windows 7 box, copied the syslinux folder over to the flash drive from the zip file, and ran the make_bootable.bat file. I then replaced the flash drive back in the server, and everything worked perfectly from there. Thanks everyone for the feedback in this thread.  I would not have figured out what went wrong otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

I am currently using the 5.0.6 version of unRAID

My server is used as NAS to watch films through the Ethernet network : it is connected to a Raspberry Pi as a media player (with KODI)

Is it worth that I pass to version 6 ?

What does it bring me?

Do with version 5 I can use to 6TB disk?

Thank you for your answers

Louis

Unraid 5 is EOL I think and will not be updated anymore, again I think.

Unraid 6 brings a 64bit environment and the possibility to use dockers. That was enough reason for me to switch to unraid 6.

But unraid 6 brings more, for instance VMs and a nicer GUI.

I think you can use 6 TB in unraid 5.

But please, all others, correct me if I am wrong.

Hello

My server is used as NAS to watch films through the Ethernet network : it is connected to a Raspberry Pi as a media player (with KODI)

What does it bring me?

Do with version 5 I can use to 6TB disk?

Thank you for your answers

Louis

In your case, these are a few of the obvious one:
  • Much improved GUI.

• Built-in APCUPSD support

• E-mail Notifications

• Better support for plugins

In the future, you will find that user-based support in this forum will decline as more and more people convert to version 6.X.  That alone should provide you with all the reason to convert.  For information on making the conversion, see these two resources:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39032.0

and

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

The first guide works well for those people who have simple setups, (such as you) and the second one covers virtually very problem anyone has ever encountered in making the conversion. 

In your case, these are a few of the obvious one:

• Much improved GUI.

• Built-in APCUPSD support

• E-mail Notifications

• Better support for plugins

In the future, you will find that user-based support in this forum will decline as more and more people convert to version 6.X.  That alone should provide you with all the reason to convert.

I would add that v4 and v5 are no longer supported, and you are increasingly vulnerable to attacks from infected stations on your own network.  Just as you should keep your Windows and other desktop stations updated, your unRAID server should be kept updated to the latest version.  LimeTech has been doing a good job lately in patching security vulnerabilities as they arrive.  While unRAID servers are still not ready for full exposure to the Internet, they are protected from known attacks (Shell Shock, Heartbleed, etc) by infected stations and routers on your local network, IF you are keeping unRAID updated to the latest (currently v6.1.8 ).

Is method 2 described in the first post would be easier for me?

Louis

Apparently, it 'worked' in most cases.  However, if something goes wrong, the LimeTech people may/will be the only ones who can really help you out.  Remember, it is a shell program that is doing the job and it is making assumptions about how your system is configured.  If your system fits those assumptions, all should go well. (The other updating instruction sets are intended to avoid problems that people were having when manually updating their systems.)

In any case, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CURRENT FLASH DRIVE!!!!!  Those instructions are in both of the instruction sets that I provided links to.  Then if something goes terribly wrong, you can get back easily to your current setup and use the manual method to upgrade from ver 5 to ver 6.  (In the manual method, you do need some of the configuration files on your current version5 setup so that backup is very important!)

I almost forgot one thing.  You should have a minimum of 2GB of RAM for version 6.  Four GB of RAM will give run about any combination of plugins and Dockers. 

And take a screenshot of you disk assignments.

One of the nice features of v6 is all the notifications possible.  I now get an array health report emailed every day, which just happens to include a nice screen-shot-like listing of the complete array and its drives, with models and serial numbers.  Just as good as a screen shot (and easier), and much easier than notes.

Just 2 add my 50ct.

On my both servers I was fine with a single core CPU. The one was an Intel Celeron, the other a Sempron 140.

All cool on v5.

With v6 I had issues

-with the Celeron-System because of reduced parity check speeds.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42629.msg406745#msg406745

-with the Sempron-System because of reduced network throughput. Full load on CPU and

transfer speeds going down while copying to the cache drive (used to be ~100MB/sec. steady stream --> ~40-60M/sec. fluctuating)

In addition to that, I have problems when streaming from my Sempron-System (which is now an X2 245e)

to my Popcorn Hour C200. This seems related to the Realtek Onboard NIC (in connection with the C200).

32bit drivers on v5 apparently performed better than the 64bit ones coming with v6.

LT (JonP) told me to wait for 6.2 because they will work on the samba protocol...will see.

At the moment I use an additional Intel NIC in bonding mode and it seems to work (still testing).

Only the Intel NIC won't "wake up on LAN".

Conclusion:

Use at least a dual core CPU.

Try to stick with a Intel NIC.

@Frank

I see you're running a Sempron with Realtek NIC too. No issues so far? Especially network throughput - all steady?

@Frank

I see you're running a Sempron with Realtek NIC too. No issues so far? Especially network throughput - all steady?

Oh double crap!!!  I forgot about the issues that I had withe the RealTek NIC!  My trials and tribulations are detailed in this Thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39350.0

I actually did some testing for LimeTech (That I can't discuss) and the basic conclusion was that a Intel NIC MAY be required for MB's with a RealTek NIC and a low power CPU.  There are now Intel NIC's in both of my servers (just updated my profile) and I haven't had any issues since sometime back in the April 2015 time frame.  (In the interest of complete disclosure, I have not tried the RealTek NIC for many months.  It may well be that the RealTek issue  have been addressed by the people who maintain the Linux Kernel.)