[DOCKER] Mythtv

You don't have to use Guacamole.  You can use any client that can connect via RDP...like actual Remote Desktop Connection which is part of Windows.

gdZhDMI.png

Also, port 3389 is the default RDP port.  If you have other containers that are using RDP you may be having a conflict.

BTW sparkly...you may want to consider redirecting 3389 to a different port in a future build.

John

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to use Guacamole.  You can use any client that can connect via RDP...like actual Remote Desktop Connection which is part of Windows.

gdZhDMI.png

Also, port 3389 is the default RDP port.  If you have other containers that are using RDP you may be having a conflict.

BTW sparkly...you may want to consider redirecting 3389 to a different port in a future build.

John

or the users that have other containers using rdp can redirect those containers host port to something other than 3389.

gdZhDMI.png

John

John well it must be something with my unraid per it wont allow this connection too - I wonder if i should remove the myth and reload on a different drive, I out the myth container on an empty disc for room, maybe i should put on the Cache drive like the others?  see the error with Windows remote desktop, I can get to my unraid box from this win machine with no issues... were all on the same network,,,

rd.PNG.3ad5cc75864e750e14745394aa093bf6.PNG

Had another crack at getting MythTV going today, and have successfully got it running.

I used Windows RDP to connect to MythTV docker, as I couldn't get guac to work (I'll deal with that another day).

I followed Sparkly YouTube video, which does contain enough info to get going.

Just a reminder to any one getting tuner going, you'll need to use the mediabuild version of unraid and remember to add extra parameters into the docker (mapping to card).

Settings that work for my dual tuner Hauppauge are below:

--device=/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0:/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0 --device=/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0:/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 --device=/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 --device=/dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0:/dev/dvb/adapter1/demux0 --device=/dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0:/dev/dvb/adapter1/dvr0 --device=/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0:/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0

Sparkyballs, this container is great! I am running mythtv in a KVM machine, and getting ready to make the switch. Just had 2 questions for you

1) Is mythweb running on a different port? http://<unRAID IP>/mythweb is not working

2) I want to change the autoexpire settings on LiveTV, but the only way I know how to do that is MythTV front end, which is not present in the docker. Attached is a screenshot from my KVM machine with the settings. Anyway I can change it in your docker? https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Detailed_configuration_Frontend#General_.28AutoExpire.29

Thanks!

MythTV-QEMU.png.6007f3876086858c9162ddf3d55fd987.png

1) Is mythweb running on a different port? http://<unRAID IP>/mythweb is not working

Mine is working, it shows as http://<unRAID IP>:6760/mythweb

2) I want to change the autoexpire settings on LiveTV, but the only way I know how to do that is MythTV front end, which is not present in the docker.

I've been wondering how to change this, but I've never used MythTV before. I'll await a response :)

Mine is working, it shows as http://<unRAID IP>:6760/mythweb

2) I want to change the autoexpire settings on LiveTV, but the only way I know how to do that is MythTV front end, which is not present in the docker.

I've been wondering how to change this, but I've never used MythTV before. I'll await a response :)

I tired port 6760 and it did not work. Then I forgot the docker was off, turned it on and volia! Thank you for letting me know!

By no means I am not a mythTV guru, but a lot of the settings can be configured in mythweb as well. You still have to restart the back end for them to go into effect.

Now to just figure out #2. I'm debating configuring my mythtv KVM machine to use this backend, change the setting and then see if it works in a kodi client. In theory this would work, but in practice its slightly cumbersome.

I'm debating configuring my mythtv KVM machine to use this backend, change the setting and then see if it works in a kodi client. In theory this would work, but in practice its slightly cumbersome.

I can't speak to the MythTV frontend but...

I changed my Kodi MythTV plugin to point from my MythTV Backend VM to the MythTV Backend Docker and the changes took effect immediately.  As log as the Security pin is the same (or you remember to change it in the plugin) it should be a piece of cake.

John

MythTV Docker is running great on my Test & Backup server. All DVB devices up and running (Afatech Technologies AF9015 DVB-T stick and a Digital Devices Cine S2 6.5 card) and the stream can be seen on my Mac's KODI 14.2

Now I have to decide if I move forward with TVHeadend, MythTV or my VDR on unRAID's KVM. Seem the MythTV is the best choice if you have more than one backend which I have.

The only issue that I'm having with that Docker is that it can't connect to my openELEC unVM:

ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: Failed to connect to MythTV backend

and

ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: Failed to connect to MythTV database [email protected]:3306 with user mythtv: Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.178.10' (111)

Backend side seems to be ok as my other client is connecting, so the issue seems to sit on the unVM's side. I was using 192.168.178.10 as well as 192.168.178.010 and 127.0.0.1. in the MythTV addon settings (MythTV Backend Hostname or IP).

MythTV Database: Both password and userID filled with mythtv and database name is mythconverg.

MythTV Docker is running great on my Test & Backup server. All DVB devices up and running (Afatech Technologies AF9015 DVB-T stick and a Digital Devices Cine S2 6.5 card) and the stream can be seen on my Mac's KODI 14.2

Now I have to decide if I move forward with TVHeadend, MythTV or my VDR on unRAID's KVM. Seem the MythTV is the best choice if you have more than one backend which I have.

The only issue that I'm having with that Docker is that it can't connect to my openELEC unVM:

ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: Failed to connect to MythTV backend

and

ERROR: AddOnLog: MythTV cmyth PVR Client: Failed to connect to MythTV database [email protected]:3306 with user mythtv: Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.178.10' (111)

Backend side seems to be ok as my other client is connecting, so the issue seems to sit on the unVM's side. I was using 192.168.178.10 as well as 192.168.178.010 and 127.0.0.1. in the MythTV addon settings (MythTV Backend Hostname or IP).

MythTV Database: Both password and userID filled with mythtv and database name is mythconverg.

Did you set the Security Pin in the MythTV backend (docker version)?  The default is 0000 in the Kodi plugin.

EDIT:  I guess that fact that you can stream to Kodi on your MAC means that you have.  Maybe you are not using the default pin and forgot to change in in the OE VM kodi plugin?

It looks like you are running the legacy OE version (4.2.1).  Is the Kodi on your MAC at a newer level (Helix or Isengard)?  My guess is that the legacy Myth plugin is hardcoded with 3306 for the SQL port.  The newer versions of the plugin must sniff out the port that SQL is running on in the MythTV backend.

I'm debating configuring my mythtv KVM machine to use this backend, change the setting and then see if it works in a kodi client. In theory this would work, but in practice its slightly cumbersome.

I changed my Kodi MythTV plugin to point from my MythTV Backend VM to the MythTV Backend Docker and the changes took effect immediately.  As log as the Security pin is the same (or you remember to change it in the plugin) it should be a piece of cake.

John

That's what I am planning to do, but there is a option to adjust the autoexpire setting on the mythtv front end, its not in the backend program. So I will point my KVM front end to my docker back end, make the change and see if it sticks. Going to test tonight and report tomorrow (I'll set for 1 day and see if it deletes)

John

That's what I am planning to do, but there is a option to adjust the autoexpire setting on the mythtv front end, its not in the backend program. So I will point my KVM front end to my docker back end, make the change and see if it sticks. Going to test tonight and report tomorrow (I'll set for 1 day and see if it deletes)

Good news, you can it does work connecting from another front end. However, even "easier" is just editing the mysql DB directly and changing it from there.

It looks like you are running the legacy OE version (4.2.1).  Is the Kodi on your MAC at a newer level (Helix or Isengard)?  My guess is that the legacy Myth plugin is hardcoded with 3306 for the SQL port.  The newer versions of the plugin must sniff out the port that SQL is running on in the MythTV backend.

Indeed, as mentioned in an earlier post I have 14.2 on my Mac. I will use the guide that you provided to upgrade my openElec VM.

Thanks a lot.

Hey Sparkyballs, can you add handbrake-cli into this container? I have officially turned off my KVM machine and I am using your docker instead. I am just missing my script to remove commercials and transcode to x264, which requires handbrake. I used this guide originally:

http://pdxpastimes.blogspot.com/2014/11/mythtv-remove-commercials-and-transcode.html

Of course, if someone has a better idea, I am very open to it

EDIT: I installed it in the container manually. You need to make a few changes to the script (username, password, temp dir), but other than that it works perfectly! In case anyone was wondering, I ran this inside the container:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
sudo apt-get install handbrake-cli

You can install a text editor (or just use vi) of your choice if you want to look in /var/log/mythtv

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sparkyballs, can you add handbrake-cli into this container? I have officially turned off my KVM machine and I am using your docker instead. I am just missing my script to remove commercials and transcode to x264, which requires handbrake. I used this guide originally:

http://pdxpastimes.blogspot.com/2014/11/mythtv-remove-commercials-and-transcode.html

Of course, if someone has a better idea, I am very open to it

EDIT: I installed it in the container manually. You need to make a few changes to the script (username, password, temp dir), but other than that it works perfectly! In case anyone was wondering, I ran this inside the container:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-releases
sudo apt-get install handbrake-cli

You can install a text editor (or just use vi) of your choice if you want to look in /var/log/mythtv

The only problem with that is if the container updates you'll need to repeat that process, and if you save any files or folders within one of the folders in the container they'll be lost as well.