[DOCKER] Mythtv

Storage Directories:

Default: /var/lib/mythtv/

LiveTV: /var/lib/mythtv/livetv/

Docker Mappings:

/home/mythtv --> /mnt/cache/docker_configs/myth r,w

/db --> /mnt/cache/docker_configs/myth/db r,w

/var/lib/mythtv --> /mnt/cache/docker_configs/myth/tv r,w

I added a livetv directory as I only had the default completed previously. I tried to change the docker mapping to an array drive instead of the cache drive as well. Still getting the same error.

could still be an issue with the mythtv plugin in beta2 of isengard.

Just getting back to this.  I restarted from scratch and everything is working now.  Originally I scanned for channels and this time I imported from schedulesdirect.  Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: I found the files through RDP in the docker using it's file manager, and copied back to the server.

Can someone tell me where I could find the log file for MythTv to diagnose an issue I am having?

I looked in the MythTv wiki and it say's it's be /var/log/mythtv/ however that doesn't seem to apply to the docker here.

I tried to look for it in the /home/mythtv path I set at install (which for me is /mnt/cache/docker/Programs/MythTV) however I didn't find it there either.

--

My issue (for those who want to read, and maybe have a solution that would be very helpful):

Basically, I have a daily recording that keeps failing. I get 2 recordings of nothing for the same thing, then it gives up. I can record manually or make a new record of something else and it works fine.

The tuner in question works when I test live Tv or use the the HdHomerunview option to make sure it's not the tuner.

I'm assuming the log will tell me something, MythWeb doesn't seem to have anything helpful listed in it.

I don't think this issue is anything with this Docker, more something with MythTv in general, and fixing it would be great!

I had this issue previously, so I deleted everything and set this backup from scratch. It worked for about a week, and then started failing again.

I assume after it fails the 1st time it tries again, it fails and it gives up. Both files are unplayable, I believe like 8kb in size or something like that.

jeez did another reboot and i beleive it updated the docker now in ..... it worked thanks John now need to setup thanks 8)

Coming back to this...

I haven't RDP'd into my myth docker is a while so I just tried to help bungee find the log files.  RDP failed when it always worked in the past for me.  So, I shut down every docker I have that uses RDP connections (even though they are on different ports)...still no go.  I restarted the myth docker and that didn't help either.

I eventually ran a "force update" on the myth docker and I was immediately again to RDP.  Not sure what happened.

Anyway bungee, I'm trying to find the logs now.

John

jeez did another reboot and i beleive it updated the docker now in ..... it worked thanks John now need to setup thanks 8)

Coming back to this...

I haven't RDP'd into my myth docker is a while so I just tried to help bungee find the log files.  RDP failed when it always worked in the past for me.  So, I shut down every docker I have that uses RDP connections (even though they are on different ports)...still no go.  I restarted the myth docker and that didn't help either.

I eventually ran a "force update" on the myth docker and I was immediately again to RDP.  Not sure what happened.

Anyway bungee, I'm trying to find the logs now.

John

Thanks, and I'm sorry you're having the issues RDP'ing!

I was able to find them, but no clue how to do that from outside of the Docker..?

I RDP'd in, went under the file system, and they're right there!

I have what I needed, and know what's going on now!

The question is.. How do you make MythTV use another tuner (I have 4) if another computer (a Windows  VM I run) is using the 1st tuner that MythTV wants to use?

Basically I'm recording the same thing in two places, both want the same tuner, WMC grabs it, Myth tries, fails, tries again, fails, gives up.

I would think it would just naturally go to the next tuner, but apparently it doesn't!..

I can fix this easily by removing redundancy for this show (it was a thing I did at first), however I will have this issue soon as I allow someone to stream football from my house to another state. Meaning I will have the same thing recording twice (one in WMC to use ServerWMC and Plex to transcode/send to another state, and what I'm watching in Myth here at home).

edit: Found this.. Apparently Myth doesn't play nice with others!..  :P

First, MythTV does not share tuners well. Never has (after all, it started with tuners inside the PC it was running on, and sharing was not even considered), and no one has contributed fixes to make it do so for potentially sharable network devices such as the HDHR. You should not plan to share tuners with MythTV (unless you are going to be writing and submitting the patches to perform the required sharing and locking), as you will find that experience poor as other solutions (WMC and DLNA clients) pull the tuners out from under the use of MythTV.

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19537

I had this issue today, wasn't sure what caused it, had just rebooted after updating to 6.1 RC6.

Did the edit, save routine and it worked correctly right after. For some reason it was as if it stopped listening on port 3389.

I am getting this error when trying to start the container, any ideas where the conflict is?

a8d5e9a99838374d4445051a6f3b1356905769aa8bc2ec6427c90fb434ca5ada

time="2015-08-29T12:02:57-07:00" level=fatal msg="Error response from daemon: Cannot start container a8d5e9a99838374d4445051a6f3b1356905769aa8bc2ec6427c90fb434ca5ada: Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:80: bind: address already in use"

The command failed.

Running one windows VM with nothing installed on it yet. Other containers are: Crashplan, Emby and SAB

The Unraid webui runs on port 80

Is that the port you've used in the Myth docker?

By default it was set to 80 when I installed it. It looks like it opens up 10 total ports and 80 is one of them. I will change it and see what happens, thanks!

Edit: I changed it to 81 and now it is running, thank you again!

This MythTV docker is fantastic!! Thanks much.

I don't want to spin up my array every time that I use the DVR. Is there a way to point to a recordings folder on a non-array drive? If so, how do you do it? Also, is XFS the optimal way to format a separate drive? If so, is there a simple way/command to format a drive as such - without adding it to the array?

This MythTV docker is fantastic!! Thanks much.

I don't want to spin up my array every time that I use the DVR. Is there a way to point to a recordings folder on a non-array drive? If so, how do you do it? Also, is XFS the optimal way to format a separate drive? If so, is there a simple way/command to format a drive as such - without adding it to the array?

Check here. That will enable you to mount a non-array drive.  It'll be found as /mnt/disks/SOMETHING although this can be altered.  I have a disk as mounted as /mnt/virtualisation

Then it's a simple matter of mapping it in the docker template.

Thanks. I now have a couple of issues:

1. Although my DVR is recording live tv (and I can see the files in the docker's var/lib/mythtv/livetv folder), it is not recording tv shows when I "start recording" via the OS guide (I'm using Schedules Direct and Kodi). I changed all of my permissions for the mythtv folder in my docker to full control, however, it didn't make any difference. Any thoughts?

2. I was able to mount a non-array drive, however, when I map the var/lib/mythtv to it, the live tv files no longer show up inside of the livetv folder on the non-array drive (they are still inside of the docker folder). The drive is formatted with NTFS. Could this be the problem? Does it to be formatted with either ext4 or xfs to map successfully to it?

1. Although my DVR is recording live tv (and I can see the files in the docker's var/lib/mythtv/livetv folder), it is not recording tv shows when I "start recording" via the OS guide (I'm using Schedules Direct and Kodi). I changed all of my permissions for the mythtv folder in my docker to full control, however, it didn't make any difference. Any thoughts?

2. I was able to mount a non-array drive, however, when I map the var/lib/mythtv to it, the live tv files no longer show up inside of the livetv folder on the non-array drive (they are still inside of the docker folder). The drive is formatted with NTFS. Could this be the problem? Does it to be formatted with either ext4 or xfs to map successfully to it?

I don't use this container, but firstly I would format the drive with xfs, secondly post your mappings that you're using because something isn't quite right if it's recording to a different location.

I don't know if NTFS on Unraid is a format that can be written to, although I know you can read it.

I don't use this container, but firstly I would format the drive with xfs, secondly post your mappings that you're using because something isn't quite right if it's recording to a different location.

I don't know if NTFS on Unraid is a format that can be written to, although I know you can read it.

You have to use ntfs-3g to write. I do it all the time. Unassigned devices works for this.

You have to use ntfs-3g to write. I do it all the time. Unassigned devices works for this.

Would NTFS-3G have to be in the container or just on the host?

Here are my docker mappings:

/home/mythtv    -      /mnt/cache/.docker/myth/

/db    -      /mnt/cache/.docker/myth/data/

/var/lib/mythtv        -            /mnt/cache/.docker/myth/

All of the mappings within the MythTV docker backend "Storage Group" directories are:

/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/

/var/lib/mythtv/db_backups/

/var/lib/mythtv/videos/

/var/lib/mythtv/trailers/

/var/lib/mythtv/coverart/

/var/lib/mythtv/fanart/

/var/lib/mythtv/sceenshot/

/var/lib/mythtv/banners/

/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/

Would NTFS-3G have to be in the container or just on the host?

Not actually tried this with a container. I would think just the host, that's where all the other filesystems are. Someone should try it.

Here are my docker mappings:

/home/mythtv    -      /mnt/cache/.docker/myth/

/db    -                      /mnt/cache/.docker/myth/data/

/var/lib/mythtv        -            /mnt/cache/.docker/myth/

All of the mappings within the MythTV docker backend "Storage Group" directories are:

/var/lib/mythtv/livetv/

/var/lib/mythtv/db_backups/

/var/lib/mythtv/videos/

/var/lib/mythtv/trailers/

/var/lib/mythtv/coverart/

/var/lib/mythtv/fanart/

/var/lib/mythtv/sceenshot/

/var/lib/mythtv/banners/

/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/

/home/mythtv & /var/lib/mythtv are both mapped to the same place.

Try

/home/mythtv/    ===> /mnt/cache/.docker/mythtv/home/
/db/             ===> /mnt/cache/.docker/mythtv/db/
/var/lib/mythtv/ ===> /mnt/cache/.docker/mythtv/lib/

Not sure if it makes a difference but that's where I'd start.

Also what have you done about the non-array disk?

I'm assuming /var/lib/mythtv is where recordings go.  So you could try

/var/lib/mythtv/ ===> /mnt/NON-ARRAY-DISK-NAME/Recordings/

If you haven't reformatted it as XFS then  until someone tests it, we don't know if that just enables the host (Unraid) to write to the drive or the host and container. (NTFS-3G is installed on Unraid with the Unassigned Devices Plugin)

trurl thinks it probably should work, although someone has yet to test.  But he normally knows what he's talking about . (Sorry trurl - couldn't resist)

Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the mappings - but, still am unable to get recordings from the on-screen guide to work. Again, the "livetv" is working - files ARE created in the /var/lib/mythtv/livetv/ folder when I watch tv (and show up in the corresponding mapped folder - so long as I'm not using the non-array drive). However, despite the fact that Kodi displays "recorded" tv programs (made via the on-screen guide) within Kodi (under "TV Recordings"), whenever I click on them I get nothing AND I can find no actual files/recordings within the mythtv docker (or any mapped location).

I also re-formatted my non-array drive as XFS and remounted it using the "Unassigned Devices" plugin, but that didn't change anything. Nothing shows up in the drives folders/subfolders - including "livetv" recordings.

Sparkly...look away so your head doesn't explode.  :)

These are my volume mappings.  I map /mnt to /mnt to make my life simple.

/home/mythtv  -->  /mnt/cache/Docker/mythtv/
/db  -->  /mnt/cache/Docker/mythtv/db/
/var/lib/mythtv  -->  /mnt/user/PVR/
/mnt  -->  /mnt

And these are my Storage Directories in Myth:

Default = /mnt/user/PVR/recordings/
LiveTV = /mnt/cache/Timeshift/
DB Backups = /mnt/user/Backups/MythTV/
Videos = /mnt/user/PVR/videos/
Trailers = /mnt/user/PVR/trailers/
Coverart = /mnt/user/PVR/coverart/
Fanart = /mnt/user/PVR/fanart/
Screenshots = /mnt/user/PVR/screenshots/
Banners = /mnt/user/PVR/banners/

My recordings are written to my array while my Live TV buffer is written to the cache drive.

John

Sparkly...look away so your head doesn't explode.  :)

These are my volume mappings.  I map /mnt to /mnt to make my life simple.

/home/mythtv  -->  /mnt/cache/Docker/mythtv/
/db  -->  /mnt/cache/Docker/mythtv/db/
/var/lib/mythtv  -->  /mnt/user/PVR/
/mnt  -->  /mnt

And these are my Storage Directories in Myth:

Default = /mnt/user/PVR/recordings/
LiveTV = /mnt/cache/Timeshift/
DB Backups = /mnt/user/Backups/MythTV/
Videos = /mnt/user/PVR/videos/
Trailers = /mnt/user/PVR/trailers/
Coverart = /mnt/user/PVR/coverart/
Fanart = /mnt/user/PVR/fanart/
Screenshots = /mnt/user/PVR/screenshots/
Banners = /mnt/user/PVR/banners/

My recordings are written to my array while my Live TV buffer is written to the cache drive.

John

boom , too late...

don't let anyone tell you i'm just posting here to test out an rss feed reader....

Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the mappings - but, still am unable to get recordings from the on-screen guide to work. Again, the "livetv" is working - files ARE created in the /var/lib/mythtv/livetv/ folder when I watch tv (and show up in the corresponding mapped folder - so long as I'm not using the non-array drive). However, despite the fact that Kodi displays "recorded" tv programs (made via the on-screen guide) within Kodi (under "TV Recordings"), whenever I click on them I get nothing AND I can find no actual files/recordings within the mythtv docker (or any mapped location).

I also re-formatted my non-array drive as XFS and remounted it using the "Unassigned Devices" plugin, but that didn't change anything. Nothing shows up in the drives folders/subfolders - including "livetv" recordings.

Two things spring to mind.

Firstly what version of Unraid are you using, I might be wrong but there may be an issue with RC6 and Unassigned Devices. (although I;m using it without any apparent issues, but haven't had to change any configs for months)

Secondly, are you sure the problem is with the MythTV docker and not with Kodi?  As in Kodi isn't actually recording programmes at all, although making a record of them in the Webui?

I don't use Myth but that's my musings reading what you've just wrote..

Trurl: I'll post my latest mappings when I get home tonight PST (provided that I still have a home and family to go back to - after wasting my life away the past couple of days trying to figure this out). Thanks for the cmd line text - when it comes to Linux, I'm a bumbling idiot (which is partially why I originally wanted to format my non-array drive as NTFS because it simplifies things for me).

Johnodon: Thanks much for your volume mappings. They give me something else to try. If all else fails, I'll probably have to place my recordings on the array as well (provided that I can get them to record properly) unless somebody comes up with a way to successfully point to a non-array drive.

CHBMB: I'm using 6.0.1 (not any of the 6.1 RC versions). You are correct re suspecting a setting in Kodi (v15.1), however, I have Myth working fine via a separate Ubuntu box AND when I point back to it, I have no problems with recordings. BTW, I merely copied most of those settings into the docker version of Myth - although it's certainly possible that I screwed something up when I did it.

Again, thanks much to all of you for taking your time to help me. It is appreciated more than you know!