[DOCKER] Mythtv

Oh wow, that's exactly what I needed, DMcK!  Agreed, that Advanced View button colour blends right in, never even saw it there...  ???

Pasted in the device settings, restarted the docker, and now the card shows right up in the myth configuration pages.  Excellent!

I'm very happy with this, you've made my day!  Thanks all!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I have some problemos starting the container and I bet it has something to do with permission of folders. I try to attach the folder /db to /home/username/docker/mythtv/db and /home/mythtv to the /home/username/docker/mythtv. So my run looks like:

docker run \

--name=mythtv \

-v  /home/username/docker/mythtv/db:/db \

-v /home/username/docker/mythtv:/home/mythtv\

sparklyballs/sparkly-mythtv

It has worked on other images, bit this one has me stuck and it stops and tells me waiting, waiting etc, could some gentle sole push me in the right direction? Ohh, yes i am a virgin at docker but keen to learn.

Thanks in advance,

JK

I don't know that "waiting" is the problem.  My mythtv log has this repeated often..

.Xauthority file appears to in place
kill switch is set
setup desktop icon is set
mythtv folders appear to be set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
Checking whether database(s) are ready
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
icon for kill switch is set
default config file(s) appear to be in place
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....

It's running fine and recording tv from my HDHomeRun.  My run command (line feeds added)

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d 
--name="MythTv" --net="host" -e TZ="America/Chicago" -p 6760:6760/tcp -p 3310:3310/tcp -p 3392:3389/tcp -p 5000:5000/udp -p 5002:5002/udp -p 5004:5004/udp -p 6543:6543/tcp -p 6544:6544/tcp -p 65001:65001/udp -p 65001:65001/tcp 
-v "/mnt/cache/appdata/mythtv/home/":"/home/mythtv":rw 
-v "/mnt/cache/appdata/mythtv/db/":"/db":rw 
-v "/mnt/user/mythtv/":"/var/lib/mythtv":rw 
-v "/mnt/user/plex/plex_video/":"/plex":rw 

Can you RDP to it? Or hit the web interface at http://your_ip:6760 ?

Hi all,

I have some problemos starting the container and I bet it has something to do with permission of folders. I try to attach the folder /db to /home/username/docker/mythtv/db and /home/mythtv to the /home/username/docker/mythtv. So my run looks like:

docker run \

--name=mythtv \

It has worked on other images, bit this one has me stuck and it stops and tells me waiting, waiting etc, could some gentle sole push me in the right direction? Ohh, yes i am a virgin at docker but keen to learn.

Thanks in advance,

JK

You say it has worked on other images? Are you sure you've really tested that well? In general, you're doing it wrong.

In unRAID, most of the "usual" Linux locations are in RAM, will not survive a reboot, and have limited space anyway. There are really only 2 places you can store something.

1) /boot is your flash drive. This is mainly intended for saving configuration and some people use if for scripts or other small files that aren't written much.

2) /mnt is the mount point for your disks and user shares.

Please see the Docker FAQ and other stickies in the Docker Engine section.

Thanks trurly & bah1976,

I am an idiot, didn't realize, I have a ordinary Linux Debian server and I was happily unaware of Unraid until now when I was wondering how all people that posted with pictures had this fancy UI!  :P

Live and learn, will for sure convert to Unraid when I front of my server, I get it now after reading your posts.

Cheers,

JK

Hi all,

docker run \

--name=mythtv \

Thanks in advance,

JK

• 2 weeks later...

Having some weird issues with mythTV docker right now.

I can connect to the backend on all of my Kodi Clients.  I know the HDHR is working as I can watch directly from the HDHR app.

For some reason, after an entire unRAID reboot, when I start Kodi, I'll get about 10 seconds of 10.  It will then cut out and never come back.  The error I get is "MythTV PVR Client Channel Unavailable".  I get this on all client devices using mythtv.

Not sure if this is related, but when I go into the backend setup, when I leave it asks if I'm sure because whatever location I have set for storage is not writable.  Not sure where this error came from.  Also unsure if it's related, but for some reason now, I'm unable to manually add a folder to Disk1, but I can to Disk2 on my unRAID array.  My mythtv storage folder is on a SMB share so I don't know which drive it's trying to write to.

Having some weird issues with mythTV docker right now.

I can connect to the backend on all of my Kodi Clients.  I know the HDHR is working as I can watch directly from the HDHR app.

For some reason, after an entire unRAID reboot, when I start Kodi, I'll get about 10 seconds of 10.  It will then cut out and never come back.  The error I get is "MythTV PVR Client Channel Unavailable".  I get this on all client devices using mythtv.

Not sure if this is related, but when I go into the backend setup, when I leave it asks if I'm sure because whatever location I have set for storage is not writable.  Not sure where this error came from.  Also unsure if it's related, but for some reason now, I'm unable to manually add a folder to Disk1, but I can to Disk2 on my unRAID array.  My mythtv storage folder is on a SMB share so I don't know which drive it's trying to write to.

The inability to write is definitely the problem.  I set a new mapping to a drive which I knew I could write to, and I had no problem.  Easy workaround, but I'd like to get to the bottom of why one of my unRAID array drives for some reason is no longer allowing writes.

Hi, I would like to run a slave instance to offload some user jobs from the master. Can you tell me what would be required. Do I just remove  the following scripts?

/etc/my_init.d/003-bring-up-the-database.sh
/etc/my_init.d/005-bring-up-the-backend.sh
/etc/my_init.d/006-bring-up-mythweb.sh

Working on getting this  working with my HdHomerun Prime. I can get it recognized and it scans. However I cant connect with the backend.  I have a Hdhomerun ATSC, Prime and a Genpix Skywalker usb. The Skywalker is supported but it requires some addition modules.

GENPIX 8pks/qpsk/DCII USB2.0 - DVB-S

The following modules are necessary in order to get this device running:

- dvb-usb.ko

- gp8psk.ko

I have no Idea how to install these. Could this be included in a upcomming release?

Working on getting this  working with my HdHomerun Prime. I can get it recognized and it scans. However I cant connect with the backend.  I have a Hdhomerun ATSC, Prime and a Genpix Skywalker usb. The Skywalker is supported but it requires some addition modules.

GENPIX 8pks/qpsk/DCII USB2.0 - DVB-S

The following modules are necessary in order to get this device running:

- dvb-usb.ko

- gp8psk.ko

I have no Idea how to install these. Could this be included in a upcomming release?

Those drivers need to be installed in Unraid not MythTV.  Unraid doesn't include and never will natively include DVB drivers.  I've produce DVB builds for each Unraid release and you can get them from the link in my signature.  I'd recommend you try the OpenElec driver version first.

Basically they are replacement bzroot & bzimage files that have had all the media options compiled in the kernel, which adds the drivers that are present in the Linux kernel, then I add some more drivers using the OpenElec driver pack.  Then recompress bzroot & bzimage.

Once you've installed and rebooted. You need to paste this into the extra parameters box of the MythTV docker setup to get the device passed through to the container.

--device=/dev/dvb/

I have successfully installed, configured and have running this container under Openmediavault.  I am testing this is in preparation for moving an existing mythtv backend onto this environment.  However I have one issue that I am unable to resolve.  I am using a cron task on my existing backend PC to download daily an xml version of the NZ EPG and load it into myth.  I have copied the script across and it works fine in the container, executing correctly when I run it manually.  I have now put the script into /etc/cron.daily but it doesn't seem to be running.  When I look more closely I suspect that there is a discrepancy on how the container and the OMV server view "cron".  Inside OMV it is an "init.d" script but inside the container the "/etc/init.d/cron status" command tells me it has been converted to upstart. 

Am I out of luck and the container does not support cron tasks in my configuration (Debian 3.2.68-1+deb7u2) at least?  I don't believe that I can run my cron task from outside the container because it uses the mythfilldatabase command.

Thanks in advance

Updated 2/4/2016 SOLVED

The base for this docker image is phusion/baseimage which does support cron jobs.  The problem is that baseimage never gets to start all it's services because the my_init script does not put apache into background mode and so it sits forever at step 006-bring-up-mythweb.sh

Modifying that file from

#!/bin/bash

exec /usr/sbin/apache2ctl -D FOREGROUND >/dev/null 2>&1

to

#!/bin/bash

exec /usr/sbin/apache2ctl -D FOREGROUND >/dev/null 2>&1 &

starts mythweb and then carries on with starting the remaining services in the docker image, which includes cron.

I'm not a docker whiz so I haven't tried to set up cron task definitions and passing them in via docker scripts.  My comfort zone is limited to RDP'ing into the running container and setting them up there.  So far it looks like it is all working now.

Hope this helps someone else.

Walked through the guide and everything seemed to go smoothly. Clicked "no" to both instances of start the backend and run mythfilldatabase. Exited the RDP session, restarted the docker and all my log shows is this

Creating database(s).
Database(s) created.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
Starting MariaDB...
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....

I am able to hostname:6760, and mythweb shows up, is navigable...but there's no data. Apparently because mythfilldatabase hasn't run....because it's....."waiting"?

/home/mythtv = /mnt/cache/

/db = /mnd/cache

/var/lib/mythtv = /mnt/user/RecordedTV/

Normal behavior, mine is the same and works perfectly

kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....

I never touch a thing, and it does its thing very reliably.

I cannot recall from my 1st run/initial setup, however you can see when/if its happened on the backend status page of Mythweb.

Mine currently lists this:

Last mythfilldatabase run started on Thu Mar 31 2016, 10:15 AM and ended on Thu Mar 31 2016, 10:15 AM. Successful.
There's guide data until 2016-04-14 02:00:00 (14 day(s)).
DataDirect Status: Your subscription expires on Tue Jul 19 2016 10:33 PM

Maybe give it a day or so? Things might kick in? Because according to mythweb, the backend us up, awaiting...assuming I have all my pathings correct...mythfill should run at its "scheduled" time...which time is typically late in the evening.Even if I try to force it through RDP it still says can't connnect...soooo....hmmmm.

The other option is TVHEADEND...but it can't even see my two HDHomeRun tuners.

Hi! Dying to get this working... I want to remove it from my underpowered HTPC box! Everything seemed to install fine, but I can't RDP into the docker. I get a prompt, but then "could not update ICEauthority file /home/mythtv/.ICEauthority" and the RDP session give me a snowy screen... any ideas?

Unraid 6.1.9. I also have couchpotato and deluge installed in containers but not currently running. Unfortunately I can't restart the box for a day due to parity check and an offsite backup.

Also, Any issues connecting to an HD Homerun dual tuner or do I need to convert to the media build unraid?

Thanks

Hi! Dying to get this working... I want to remove it from my underpowered HTPC box! Everything seemed to install fine, but I can't RDP into the docker. I get a prompt, but then "could not update ICEauthority file /home/mythtv/.ICEauthority" and the RDP session give me a snowy screen... any ideas?

Unraid 6.1.9. I also have couchpotato and deluge installed in containers but not currently running. Unfortunately I can't restart the box for a day due to parity check and an offsite backup.

Also, Any issues connecting to an HD Homerun dual tuner or do I need to convert to the media build unraid?

Thanks

I kept getting that as well. Try clicking on the dropdown and select a few of the other logins, they should error out, but form some reason after I did that a couple of times, went back to the original login and entered the creds, it loaded properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Normal behavior, mine is the same and works perfectly

kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
waiting.....
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....
kill switch is set
Database(s) exists.
Starting MariaDB...
waiting.....
waiting.....

Thanks.

The log still shows the same, but mythweb mysteriously populated data!

Don't know how it works, bug glad it does. :)

Now, let's see how the first recording turns out  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I want to change the "Time to retain deleted recordings (day):" setting.

Currently when I delete a program it goes away pretty quickly (within 15 minutes).  After deleting it in KODI front end or MythWeb it goes to a "deleted recordings" group where it stays for a few minutes before completely disappearing. I found reference to the aforementioned setting in the Myth FrontEnd, Setup, Video, General, 2nd page. BUT I don't have a front end, only the MythWeb and Kodi.  I've searched the backend interface and MythWeb but haven't found it there.  Anyone know how I can change this setting?

thanks

Everend