Antec 1200 V3 too small? Oh well.

opentoe

Received this beautiful case today. It really is nice looking, but that may be all. Unfortunately the inside depth is horrible. My 7 year old Coolermaster 590 has more depth. If you measure from the very back of the case to the back of where the frame is for the hard drives it is a very short 12 inches. My Coolermaster is over 14 1/2. These specs aren't listed in any documentation so it may not even fit my full size ATX board and drive cages. What a shame. And here I thought the endless search for a new case is over.

So I'm back to the drawing board. If you don't have a full size ATX mainboard then you'll have no problem, but my mainboard goes from the back all the way to where it meets that metal frame, literally fills up the entire inside of the case. This is why some users can shove cages in small a case. They have a min-ATX or smaller board. Won't be able to get away with that with a full ATX board. At least I didn't spend an arm and a leg on it. I'll try to post some pictures on what I mean. But if you have hard drive cages that stick out in the back and have a full ATX board something may hit. What a pain.

Since you are already at 12 drives with the potential to grow, maybe look at the Norco cases. There is the 20 bay 4220 and the 24 bay 4224.

I have the 4224 and love it. Lots of room, all the drives have their own chassis and they front mount (hot swappable too), the case uses backplanes so you only need to worry about a single cable per backplane (4 drives per backplane).

It means you can get rid of the drive cages and once the server is setup you never need to go back in - you just work with the drives in the front.

It's a way easier solution that trying to fit into a traditional case - the only downside is it's big. You definitely need some space for it, but if that's not an issue I would highly recommend it. You will never want to go back. :)

Since you are already at 12 drives with the potential to grow, maybe look at the Norco cases. There is the 20 bay 4220 and the 24 bay 4224.

I have the 4224 and love it. Lots of room, all the drives have their own chassis and they front mount (hot swappable too), the case uses backplanes so you only need to worry about a single cable per backplane (4 drives per backplane).

It means you can get rid of the drive cages and once the server is setup you never need to go back in - you just work with the drives in the front.

It's a way easier solution that trying to fit into a traditional case - the only downside is it's big. You definitely need some space for it, but if that's not an issue I would highly recommend it. You will never want to go back. :)

I had a Norco box a long time ago and didn't like it. All I wanted was a standard computer case. What size if you main board that is in your Norco? Have any pictures of the inside? You didn't have to hook up power line to every single hard drive, did you?

As I mentioned in the other thread, my Angec 900 was a bit depth challenged, but I did get it to work with the SuperMicro cages. It was only the unusually long Areca controller card that caused me to slide the cages out an inch or two.

Sorry it is a tight fit but I have confidence that you'll be able to shoehorn them in and have a nice result. Just think of all the money you saved!

I had a Norco box a long time ago and didn't like it. All I wanted was a standard computer case. What size if you main board that is in your Norco? Have any pictures of the inside? You didn't have to hook up power line to every single hard drive, did you?

I don't have any pictures of my setup, but I have a microATX anyways so it wouldn't likely help.

Here is a link to the case though:

http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail.php?categoryid=1&modelno=RPC-4224

As for power... no, you only need one molex per backplane as well. Since you manage 4 drives per backplanes you would only need 3 molex and 3 SFF-8087 connectors for all your drives (or 4 of each to give you up to 16 drives).

Having moved from a traditional case to this was awesome... it's like going from tighty whiteys to going commando. :)

it's like going from tighty whiteys to going commando. :)

Too much information...  Now whenever I look at my cases I'm going to have an image stuck in my mind

It got the point across though, didn't it? :)

Yes but all my computers have  female names.  So the contrast isn't a good thing

it's like going from tighty whiteys to going commando. :)

Too much information...  Now whenever I look at my cases I'm going to have an image stuck in my mind

It got the point across though, didn't it? :)

Yes but all my computers have  female names.  So the contrast isn't a good thing

So... umm... think of it as going from granny panties to a thong? (Or I guess it could still be commando).

Better?

As I mentioned in the other thread, my Angec 900 was a bit depth challenged, but I did get it to work with the SuperMicro cages. It was only the unusually long Areca controller card that caused me to slide the cages out an inch or two.

Sorry it is a tight fit but I have confidence that you'll be able to shoehorn them in and have a nice result. Just think of all the money you saved!

Maybe I'll try to fit it, I do like the case but since I have a full size ATX board and my current box which is even deeper just makes it. I think I'll have an issue with the Antec 1200. Right now it could be between the Norco or the Lian-Li. The box is up and running so at least I'll get some research time. The main reason I want to switch out of my Coolermaster 590 is the radiator that cools the CPU doesn't fit properly. Only 1 screw lines up, the radiator is just too big. I can dump the water cooled single radiator and get a CPU fan and just keep what I have. Decisions, decisions.

Hey, if anyone in NJ would want an Antec 1200 V3 case for pick up for $90 let me know. If I can sell this guy, I'd most likely be real interested in the Norco rack mount and finally dump HD cages forever. I have a whole corner in my home office with space, so I have the room. Maybe I can find one of those small aluminum racks for home use.

I don't have any pictures of my setup, but I have a microATX anyways so it wouldn't likely help.

Here is a link to the case though:

http://www.norcotek.com/item_detail.php?categoryid=1&modelno=RPC-4224

As for power... no, you only need one molex per backplane as well. Since you manage 4 drives per backplanes you would only need 3 molex and 3 SFF-8087 connectors for all your drives (or 4 of each to give you up to 16 drives).

Having moved from a traditional case to this was awesome... it's like going from tighty whiteys to going commando. :)

Do you have any pictures of the inside? I'm looking to see how you routed all the SATA/POWER cables. I guess through those little access holes, right?

I've read some reviews on Newegg and there are variants of this Norco 4224 out there. Some said they came with the new backplane which mounts 120MM fans and 80MM fans. Concerned about the cabling. A few people said they had a tough some routing their SATA cables and making 90 degree turns. I know there are also different style cables you can get that may be a bit more flexible.

Do you have any pictures of the inside? I'm looking to see how you routed all the SATA/POWER cables. I guess through those little access holes, right?

Here are a couple of pictures:

ADaqIpK.jpg

m8gJJpG.jpg

kpUwygQ.jpg

8Aple86.jpg

I opted for the larger fan wall in my case, so these look a little different than stock.

As you can see, the microATX has a ton of space around it. I have 2 SAS2LP cards that feed the bottom 4 backplanes (with cables running through the middle of the case, and the molux connectors run along the one side by the power supply.

Thanks for the pictures. I have plenty of the SAS break out cables but don't have any of those SAS to SAS. I also read on Newegg some people received a "newer" case that came with the 120mm fan board and mounts that could take a 3.5" drive and a 2.5" drive. I'll need to confirm all this from where I order it, if I do. Do the normal SAS to SAS cables, are they long enough? With 3 120mm fans, where are the openings to route those cables?

This case indeed does have an update on it. Each backplane now has only 1 molex power connector and already comes with 120mm fans and bracket. I called Newegg to see which one I'll get if I ordered and they were clueless. I won't get caught in that free shipping stuff then have to pay $150 to return it. I was told the backplane board has been updated to, to be more reliable and stable. I would definitely want the updated version but knowing before you order is difficult.