[FEATURE REQUEST] LXC / linux containers / linuxcontainers.org Support

LXC - Linux Containers is an alternative to docker that relies on the same underlying infrastructure as docker.  The big difference is that it's built around system containers instead of application containers.

This would be great for things that have more more complex setups like torrent clients + vpn that are difficult under Docker.  Lighter weight than KVM for larger system containers that one might want for supporting tools like ffmpeg and other file maintenance utilities.

• 5 years later...

I agree it would be great to have system containers avaliable. I find docker extremely complicated and taking a lot of effort to do really simple things. I don't understand the idea of dockers and when I see how zoneminder integration with ES is painfull in dockers I am supprised people force other people to use dockers. :(

Openvz was really cool, now lxc does the same as openvz. Would be greate to have it in unraid.

It is much easier to install everything from source code in system container than find or create docker.

1 hour ago, Kacper said:

zoneminder integration with ES is painfull in dockers

Zoneminder with ES is painful no matter the implementation.  ES uses AI and GPU hardware to accelerate the AI.  This is not easy stuff, and ES has way too many options.

It's not any more difficult in a docker, in fact it is probably easier for the user because everything is pre-packaged.  It's only a matter of the user configuring their particular setup.

• Like 1

You right, maybe it is only my that find things 10 times harder to make them work in docker than in regular linux machine :) Zoneminder is not the only application. Any complicated application with heavy dependence on libraries particular version or data version will fail on docker or will be not worth the effort of porting to docker.

One hint I can give is - use ubuntu 18.04 as base. Cuda version 10.2 supports cuda compatibility 3.0, which is important for users to use older, but still efficient gpus. Nvidia dropped compatibility in cuda 11.2 - it is cc 5.0 or 6.0 now, so useless for many people. We don't want to buy 1000 dollars gpu just to run ffmpeg on it and maybe tensorflow :)

Running ffmpeg on my quadro K2000M takes 1% for one camera, on cpu 15% (intel i7) for decoding, so it is worth to struggle. :)

Edited by Kacper
On 7/2/2015 at 3:03 AM, bmfrosty said:

LXC - Linux Containers is an alternative to docker that relies on the same underlying infrastructure as docker.  The big difference is that it's built around system containers instead of application containers.

This would be great for things that have more more complex setups like torrent clients + vpn that are difficult under Docker.  Lighter weight than KVM for larger system containers that one might want for supporting tools like ffmpeg and other file maintenance utilities.

And I fully agree with this guy.

On 7/3/2015 at 4:49 PM, jonp said:

Correct, lxc isn't something I think we'd ever consider. Seems like there would be a very niche fit for this and not worth the implementation effort.

And I fully disagree, I am even disgusted :D:D:D

• 1 year later...