[Container]BareOS: Backup Server

https://www.bareos.org/en/

What is Bareos?

Bareos is a set of computer programs that permits the system administrator to manage backup, recovery, and verification of computer data across a network of computers of different kinds. Bareos can also run entirely upon a single computer and can backup to various types of media, including tape and disk.

In technical terms, it is a network Client/Server based backup program. Bareos is relatively easy to use and efficient, while offering many advanced storage management features that make it easy to find and recover lost or damaged files. Due to its modular design, Bareos is scalable from small single computer systems to systems consisting of hundreds of computers located over a large network.

History

Bareos is a fork of the open source project Bacula version 5.2. In 2010 the Bacula community developer Marco van Wieringen started to collect rejected or neglected community contributions in his own branch. This branch was later on the base of Bareos and since then was enriched by a lot of new features.

This documentation also bases on the original Bacula documentation, it is technically also a fork of the documenation created following the rules of the GNU Free Documentation License.

Original author of Bacula and it’s documentation is Kern Sibbald. We thank Kern and all contributors to Bacula and it’s documentation. We maintain a list of contributors to Bacula (until the time we’ve started the fork) and Bareos in our AUTHORS file.

>>>>WIP

As I have started dabbling into docker I see a lack of backup software for UnRAID, as we are using BareOS to backup Windows, Mac, and Linux systems this might be a good project to get to know docker more.

I have a few questions:

1. Do people prefer a a self contained system? BareOS requires a web and database component in order to function, I'll have to build all that into the container.

2. If people prefer a separate container for the Database which ones do you prefer? MySQL or PostGres

3. Mapped Volume: How big should I make the backup volume or make the user select the destination on first deployment?

The container I'm building at first will be an all in one using MySQL as I'm more familiar with it vs. PostGres. I can easily split the two but it may need some more configuration files.

I'll also buck the trend and use CentOS instead of Phusion. Doesn't really matter for what we are doing, I'm more familiar with RHEL versions. Once I'm finished I'll hop over and do one on Phusion.

Looks nice,  for ease of use I would opt for the all in one.  I think you would need to map it outside of the container,  mist people are using 10-20gb image for dockers.  That would fill up or even fail if that was destination.

Look forward to seeing more of this.