UPDATED 23/01/2016: Centralised KODI Database - Emby Server and KODI Plugin

danioj

Update: since I posted this Emby had come through BETA and has officially released integration with KODI/Openelec:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-222-introducing-emby-for-kodi-10/

All,

I thought I would post this in here because I didn't want to detract away from those that are working hard and producing great work like KODI-Headless [isengard] by SparklyBalls. For those interested please see here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39838.0

Anyway, due to the issues with KODI and Openelec BETA 2 centralised database with MariaDB (Mysql) - which for those who don't know it isn't working - I was pointed to an application called Emby Server by the awesome smakovits.

Emby publishes that it is designed to:

"Bring [sic] all of your media together into one place has never been easier. Your Emby Server automatically converts and streams your media on-the-fly to play on any device...."

Now for most people this is "more" than they need because (like me) they probably use tools like Playon.tv or Plex or smoother transcoding device or similar. However, for those who are running (or want to run) centralised KODI databases that is not where the gold nugget is.

At the core, Emby creates libraries by scanning folders that you add (much like KODI does), grabs metadata and all the other stuff we are used to KODI doing when we add a folder to the KODI library. Importantly it monitors your library source for changes and adds the new Movies or TV shows to the library when it detects a change. Excellent.

Full features, click here: http://emby.media/about/

However, NOW they have released a KODI Plugin!!!

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-182-introducing-emby-for-kodi-open-beta/

Last night I watched the Youtube video available in the link above and was blown away. No, it can't be that easy. A quick search of the unRAID Community Applications plugin within unRAID landed me on the Emby Docker by HurricaneHernandez (got to love the unRAID community). Support is located here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39286.0

Within 6 mins I had the docker installed and the server configured and pointing to my unRAID library of files and folders and running. Wow that was easy. I didn't much look at Emby. I selected a few options that looked like they would make things nicer but in essence I went straight to my KODI devices.

Given my Headless Setup with MySQL wasn't working great anyway with Isengard, I removed my advanced settings.xml file, rebooted and installed the plugin. As soon as the plugin was installed it found the Emby Server and asked me if I wanted to connect (it only asks the first time). Yes please. Boom. It started syncing the library **FAST** with the local Library of the device. In a matter of a couple of minutes it was done. No way. Yes way.

Now I have thought more about this and the more I do the more I like this setup better than a central MySQL database technically too. The fact that the Emby Server Sync's the Server library with the local instance of the KODI database of the device means that my device can deal with server downtime, portability etc. I tried this - dropped the network connection - and when I rebooted the library was still there. When I restored the network connection, the plugin made a quick automated handshake with Emby Server and even said "Hello Daniel" to welcome me and give me a non intrusive nudge that the connection was made - which I liked too.

So for the last 12 hours I have been running my 3 devices with just vanilla Openelec and the Emby Plugin and it is working like a dream. Three devices all watching different content from the library. In that time new content has been dropped into the folder structure which has been picked up by Emby and added to the central library. The Plugin running on the KODI devices has picked this up and made it available in the local library. Centralised database, no hassle with database versions or MySQL or anything like that. Great.

Today I am going to look at Emby a bit closer and see what else it offers because it seems to be very powerful. For instance one of those options I mentioned above that I selected when I installed the Docker was "Movie Experience". Anyway, I wasn't sure what this was when I selected it but it sounded good. Anyway, when I woke up this morning I fancied some comedy so put Nutty Professor on. What I was greeted with was a HD trailer for Avengers 2 and Dumb and Dumber 2. It was integrated, no gaps, perfectly implemented. Awesome! Truly like being at the movies. So much so, if it is out, I am going to by the Blu-Ray of Avengers from JB-HIFI today! If there are other nuggets like that in Emby I can't wait to find them and turn them on.

Anyway thats enough for now. As you can all probably see I am quite excited about this setup. I have already forgotten KODI-Headless and my Mysql Database has only survived because other Dockers still use it. Check it out!

Daniel

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, danioj

I have been experimenting with this for the past few days.  Emby seems to have a lot to offer. I will use it for a few days and then decide if I will go back to Headless Helix and Maria Db.

I have issues getting it to behave with Kodi side plugins like LazyTV.  When I try to play videos that way they tend to crash.  If I go to play the same video from recently added or going directly to TV it works fine.  When I try to force a refresh (from the Kodi device) it barks and gives an error.  Eventually it WILL synch.

On the plus it is really nice to be able to access Emby through my browser and modify any settings I need to. Using Headless Kodi on my uNraid only allowed me to run scans or clean the database (which is actually not a complain).    I too like that once you install the Emby plugin it just finds your EmbyServer.  But I warn that the time it takes to synch to with your Kodi devices the first time can take a while if you have a lot of media.  I like that you can also set it up so it WON'T do on the fly conversion of your video.  This was not very intuitive to setup (to me) but it worked well once I did.  I also did a test of just installing the Emby app on my tablet and that worked pretty well too.  And I am reading that another big plus is that it is easy to make your content available to you when you are out of the home. 

Again, I am still playing.  I can see how a lot of people might use it instead of a headless Kodi and MySql. I's a bit friendlier to setup.

I started using this same setup a couple of weeks ago and find that it gives me more flexibility than using centralized Mysql for KODI.  I have a couple of Pivos DS media players that only run up to KODI 14.2 and an Android media player and Windows PC that run Isengard.  Prior to using the Emby Server if I wanted to sync content and watched status I had to have all the clients on KODI 14.2.  Now I can run whatever version of KODI I want with the Emby plugin and all is synced. 

In addition there is an app for my Android phone that streams the movies and music from my library.  Through a feature called "Emby Connect" I have been able to give my daughter external access so she can stream or download content on her PC as if she was home.  Like Daniel I'm very pleased thus far with what Emby is able to deliver.

• 3 weeks later...

So does the media get transcoded via the Emmy server? Or is it playing directly through Kodi. I like the idea of a centralized always updated library but I want to have the heavy lifting done by my individual clients. Was thinking anout setting up the MySQL + kodi headless but I might give this a try.

Thanks to all of making me aware that Emby is existing  :D

I have installed the Docker and was impressed by the amount of media file that Emby was recognizing when I first started the scraper. It even plays ISO files, something that Plex isn't able to do.

My only issue that I'm having is the amount of resources that Emby is using. The Emby log isn't showing anything unusual:

Info, App, Core startup complete
Info, SsdpHandler, MultiCast socket created
Info, App, HttpClientManager GET: http://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/MB3ServerNotifications.json
Info, App, HttpClientManager GET: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/rss/1-media-browser-developers-blog
Info, App, HttpClientManager POST: http://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/registration/validate
Info, App, HttpClientManager POST: https://connect.mediabrowser.tv/service/Servers?id=93af09e2bcb75c484afb8ec6fd030678

But after a while my dashboard Load Statistics ist showing almost 100% CPU utilization as well as 100% Memory usage. I have attached a screenshot of CAdvisor which is showing the memory usage. Syslog is attached.

Any thoughts?

emby is a great piece of software. (Formerly media browser).

I've been using it with media portal and more recently Kodi for a number of months. I've always like the client server model of plea but the lack of Live TV / per support make it useless for me.

The Kodi plugin really integrates well but do bear in mind that it's beta.

However, the video quality of Kodi itself is the drawback here. (Media portal video, particularly for live TV, is far superior).

I'm moving on to jriver now. It's got amazing audio quality and tons of flexibility. Just need to get over working on client/server set up.

But after a while my dashboard Load Statistics ist showing almost 100% CPU utilization as well as 100% Memory usage. I have attached a screenshot of CAdvisor which is showing the memory usage. Syslog is attached.

Any thoughts?

Hmmm...I'm not seeing this behavior.  I have my Emby docker runs 24/7 and this is my current (and typical) utilization:

LucDYYv.jpg

Which container are you using...stable or beta?

John

Thanks johnodon.

I had another look into Volume Mappings.... Container volume was the same as Host path: /mnt

I corrected it towards:

Container volume: /mnt
Host path:        /mnt/user

Let's see. I had to remove and add the libraries again and I see the CPU Utilization now at 20-60% and the Memory Usage at 20-30%. This is perfectly fine as the server is scraping now. Will report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, due to the issues with KODI and Openelec BETA 2 centralised database with MariaDB (Mysql) - which for those who don't know it isn't working - I was pointed to an application called Emby Server by the awesome smakovits.

Daniel

Is this still true???! I use Openelec on my TV htpc's and MariaDB as a Docker in unRAID... I am using Helix and it all works fine. If I upgrade my OE HTPCs to Iseengard, centralized database will not work?

:o

Daniel

Is this still true???! I use Openelec on my TV htpc's and MariaDB as a Docker in unRAID... I am using Helix and it all works fine. If I upgrade my OE HTPCs to Iseengard, centralized database will not work?

:o

No it's fine now, issue has been resolved Hernando.  I'm happily running Isenngard, although my Openelec is still beta.  No issues at all.

Just used this to centralise my Kodi database but i think i've done something wrong somewhere.

My understanding is that

Emby manages all your library and within itself you can group/categories and sort it as you see fit and also updates automatically when you add anything to library which sync with all kodi devices through the add-on.

Unless there is a setting i missed it's not doing anything beyond grouping my library without myself having to scan library for new media and then updating kodi to pick it up

So does the media get transcoded via the Emmy server? Or is it playing directly through Kodi. I like the idea of a centralized always updated library but I want to have the heavy lifting done by my individual clients. Was thinking anout setting up the MySQL + kodi headless but I might give this a try.

Exactly my thoughts too

Not out yet which one is better.

But i dont want anything transcoded any way

(except if i want to stream to ipad but not for my movie theater room)

So again what are pros and cons from both?

this solution or the solution with mysql and headless kodi?

not much response here

trying to setup docker for first time

Directions:

/config : set this path to where you wish Emby to store it's configuration.

/mnt : this path is used to add library locations to Emby.

what do i fill in /mnt  ?

is this where my media is? i point it to there?

not much response here

trying to setup docker for first time

Directions:

/config : set this path to where you wish Emby to store it's configuration.

/mnt : this path is used to add library locations to Emby.

what do i fill in /mnt  ?

is this where my media is? i point it to there?

You can leave /mnt set to /mnt if you have multiple locations you want to map to the 1 mount point.

Or you can map each location individually, like /movies -> /mnt/user/Movies......./tvshows -> /mnt/user/tvshows......./music -> /mnt/user/music

traitors, lol.

I think you jinxed me. lol.  It looks like I am going back to a MariaDB and headless Kodi solution. I was already frustrated by some of my Addons (specifically LazyTV) no longer working properly since I instituted Emby.  I missed the near instantaneous synching of content list between my Android TV devices with Kodi.  Now Kodi is not showing a complete list of content even though the Emby server has movies and episodes linked properly.  I'm going to tinker around a bit more before I revert.  I will miss just adding an agent to Kodi and having it connect to an Emby server easily.

traitors, lol.

I think you jinxed me. lol.  It looks like I am going back to a MariaDB and headless Kodi solution. I was already frustrated by some of my Addons (specifically LazyTV) no longer working properly since I instituted Emby.  I missed the near instantaneous synching of content list between my Android TV devices with Kodi.  Now Kodi is not showing a complete list of content even though the Emby server has movies and episodes linked properly.  I'm going to tinker around a bit more before I revert.  I will miss just adding an agent to Kodi and having it connect to an Emby server easily.

I just save a basic copy of advancedsettings.xml and pasting it into new installations before doing anything else.  Easily adds new instances of Kodi to existing setup.

Understood, CHBMB

I usually use a Kodi addon to easily manipulate the advancedsettings.ini for my boxes.  Keeping a copy as you suggest is smart. 

traitors, lol.

I just save a basic copy of advancedsettings.xml and pasting it into new installations before doing anything else.  Easily adds new instances of Kodi to existing setup.

Understood, CHBMB

I usually use a Kodi addon to easily manipulate the advancedsettings.ini for my boxes.  Keeping a copy as you suggest is smart. 

There's an addon?  Mind telling us what it is?  I just use Notepad++  ::)

I only know of one that comes with the tvaddons plugin suite. Not worth installing all the c**p that comes with that just for the ability to edit an xml file via Kodi! IMHO!