UPDATED 23/01/2016: Centralised KODI Database - Emby Server and KODI Plugin

danioj

TVAddons.  But that makes sense if you are interested in the other features it offers (which I am).  Check their site.  Otherwise I'd stick with the way you are doing it now.

Understood, CHBMB

I usually use a Kodi addon to easily manipulate the advancedsettings.ini for my boxes.  Keeping a copy as you suggest is smart. 

There's an addon?  Mind telling us what it is?  I just use Notepad++  ::)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to get this setup on my Kodi using the emby kodi plugin but for some reason it won't play anything when I am in kodi.  I can see the tv shows and movies but when I click on them nothing happens.  I have my EmbyServer Docker container volumes setup like this:

/config=/mnt/cache/appdata/config_files/EmbyServer/

/TV=/mnt/user/TV Shows

/Movies=/mnt/user/Movies

Then in my Embyserver Library settings I have my TV Shows set to /TV and my Movies set to /Movies.

I can play anything while in the webgui but not in Kodi.  Can someone help me out.  This is driving me crazy!

Here is a log from kodi.

http://pastebin.com/BvD8BGHc

In the docker under Volume Mapping I have:

/config=/mnt/user/appdata/emby

/mnt=/mnt

In folders in the Emby server I have:

Movies=/mnt/user/Movies

TV=/mnt/user/TV

Music=/mnt/user/Audio

Path Substitution is:

/mnt/user/Movies smb://Tower/Movies

/mnt/user/TV         smb://Tower/TV

/mnt/user/Audio smb://Tower/Audio

OMG!  I think I finally got it working.  This is how I had to set it up.

Emby Docker container /mnt=/mnt

EmbyServer Folders /mnt/user/Movies and /mnt/user/TV Shows

EmbyServer Path Substitution /mnt/user/Movies to smb://192.168.1.100/Movies and /mnt/user/TV Shows to smb://192.168.1.100/TV Shows

This might seem obvious to many but it took me a long time to get this right.  Thanks for everyones help!

Now does anybody know if this will work with my XBMC 13.2 on openelec?  When i first tried to install the emby plugin it is giving me an error when trying to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

The way I understand this... there are 2 ways of centralizing Kodi...

One is the original mySQL/MariaDB route with the advancedsettings.xml file. This method is clearly documented in Kodi wiki.

The second method is to do an Emby docker, and on each htpc, you install the Emby Kodi Plugin. This method is described on the Emby web site and on a couple videos.

I have always used the Kodi/MySQL method. I made the mistake of installing the Emby plugin alon top of the ld method.... I dont think I broke anything, but I quickly deleted the Emby plugin and kept things as they were.

Am I correct that these two methods are NOT meant to be used side by side? I gather that the one advantage of the Emby method is that you have control of the metadata and hand picking artwork and all.

• 2 weeks later...

I jumped into Emby on the back of this thread and enjoyed the experience immensely....until I found my Emby cache folder was filling up my cache drive.  I'm clearing out ~45Gb everyday.  Has anyone else seen this ?  I had been running Emby for a couple of weeks with no issue then bang.

I tried playing with settings but to no avail.  All my connections are via Kodi so I'm stumped.  If anyone knows if this is a Emby docker issue or something else I'd be well grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us that currently don't have a centralized database, how do you go about importing a current library to the new database?  I only have one HTPC right now, but will be adding another shortly.  I was hoping to keep all the watched / unwatched flags, but don't know how to do this if I were to set up Emby....once I find the How To for Idiots.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

For those of us that currently don't have a centralized database, how do you go about importing a current library to the new database?  I only have one HTPC right now, but will be adding another shortly.  I was hoping to keep all the watched / unwatched flags, but don't know how to do this if I were to set up Emby....once I find the How To for Idiots.  :)

The unwatched flags get written to the nfo files which shoudl be in the same fodlers as movies - kodi reads those nfo files and inf act writes to them.

So it will know what is watched or not.

I have question about accessing files via Kodi using Emby Server. I have set up Emby Server and already have Kodi in use (until now, I have used KODI-Headless and MariaDB). Since I already have set up Kodi to connect to unRAID via NFS, do I also need set up access via Emby Server - Path Substitution?