UPDATED 23/01/2016: Centralised KODI Database - Emby Server and KODI Plugin

danioj

DanioJ....I have very similar setup as you.  However, I am using Emby docker and it works great.  I actually have Emby, Sonnar, Couchpotato all setup as dockers.

Me too. Sorry if that was unclear hun!

a question.

when i do an update to the docker i seem to loose all my settings and all my library scans.

am i doing something wrong?

i just do an update request from the gui nothing more...

thank you

Sounds a bit like your settings are not persistent. Where are you storing your config folder. Array? Cache Drive? Seperate Drive (via Unassigned Devices Plugin as I do)?

If you're not sure - screenshot us man! Lets have a look at your settings for the docker!!

yup :-[

that's it my config was not set :o

still trying to get my head around the docker concept

thanks for the point in the right direction ;D

thank you

Not to worry. Answers are only easy if you know them. We're all here to help each other! Good luck playing!!  :)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey danioj

i still must have done something wrong as i did no do the up date yet and i woke up and found the docker had auto updated :o and i don't remember asking it to :-[

the biggest problem is that i lost my ENTIRE config and media scan again!!! >:(

please find attached 2 screenies, can you see where i went wrong?

thanks for any help

p.s. [what's the orphaned image in the docker.gui pic [i understand the concept of orphaned in it terms but why do i have one?]

config_emby.JPG.99166d47e3c4fa92eabf36173341be13.JPG

docker_gui.JPG.2fad7f0063bb52f945ad8a3a720d5ef6.JPG

As Danioj asked

Sounds a bit like your settings are not persistent. Where are you storing your config folder. Array? Cache Drive? Seperate Drive (via Unassigned Devices Plugin as I do)?

If you're not sure - screenshot us man! Lets have a look at your settings for the docker!!

You need to store the config in a persistent location (outside the docker).

so are you saying that that path is not persistent :o

i thought it was!!!!

so i must make a separate folder on the cache drive outside of the paths of the dockers?

thanks

Absolutely. Nothing is persistent if it is stored within the unRAID OS filesystem (and I am sure others will provide a better explanation or link to  better explanation when they see it). What I mean is that the OS Filesystem is created at boot and stored and run in memory and as such you can not store anything there. Each time you reboot its all created at boot in real time all over again. All you can do is store data (that you want to survive a reboot) on a device be it your flash drive (not recommended for Docker but others use it to store preclear results etc), your array (also I would not recommend this for Docker or VM's), a Cache Drice (Official location / solution for storing Docker image / Config Files) or a disk mounted and managed outside the array (can not be achieved natively at the current time - but there is a VERY good plugin originally created by @gfjardim BUT recently taken over by the excellent dlandon) Go here to check it out: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45807.0

Keep plugging away dude, we will get you there!  8)

It would help us to support you if your posted your config or maybe just a basic screenshot of your settings  :)

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Creating_Your_Docker_Virtual_Disk

so are you saying that that path is not persistent :o

i thought it was!!!!

so i must make a separate folder on the cache drive outside of the paths of the dockers?

thanks

Absolutely. Nothing is persistent if it is stored within the unRAID OS filesystem (and I am sure others will provide a better explanation or link to  better explanation when they see it). What I mean is that the OS Filesystem is created at boot and stored and run in memory and as such you can not store anything there. Each time you reboot its all created at boot in real time all over again. All you can do is store data (that you want to survive a reboot) on a device be it your flash drive (not recommended for Docker but others use it to store preclear results etc), your array (also I would not recommend this for Docker or VM's), a Cache Drice (Official location / solution for storing Docker image / Config Files) or a disk mounted and managed outside the array (can not be achieved natively at the current time - but there is a VERY good plugin originally created by @gfjardim BUT recently taken over by the excellent dlandon) Go here to check it out: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45807.0

Keep plugging away dude, we will get you there!  8)

It would help us to support you if your posted your config or maybe just a basic screenshot of your settings  :)

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Creating_Your_Docker_Virtual_Disk

did that 2 posts above ;D

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41207.msg438780#msg438780

I am also wondering why you have the network type set as "Bridge"?  In my setup,  it is set as "Host".  Not sure if this makes any difference or not.  You need to physically have a drive that you use for a Cache drive and set it up as such in unraid.  Then you will create a folder on that drive that you will put your config files.

I am also wondering why you have the network type set as "Bridge"?  In my setup,  it is set as "Host".  Not sure if this makes any difference or not.  You need to physically have a drive that you use for a Cache drive and set it up as such in unraid.  Then you will create a folder on that drive that you will put your config files.

left network type as default so did not change it

does it make a difference?

Your container setup looks just fine. Host vs Bridge is not causing the issue.

Do you have a cache drive?  You can't use the cache drive to store the data if it's not installed.

Docker is enabled with the Docker tab there when you reboot, right?

Yes and yes to both

I only have the docker and the config as the path shows on the cache drive  :o

the docker is also set to autostart.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to add something to this thread as a result of a trial I did at the weekend.

I have been running all my clients from Emby for some time. Specifically I don't stream via SMB I use the Emby HTTP web server. I do direct streaming with no (unless I am offsite) transcoding.

I run a Gigabit wired network (which my iMac, 2 unRAID Servers and 2 NUC Clients are attached too). Dual Band Wireless c network (Which my iPad, iPhone, are connected to 2.4GHz channel and MacbookAir is connected to 5GHz channel).

My specific setup can be located in my Sig and via the like there BUT in summary I don't consider it to be that special really. Xeon E3 v 3 System a fair bit of Memory and thats it really. What I wanted to do was test just how much Emby could do. So I went for it:

Stream to ALL devices at the same time as follows:

2 x NUC's running Openelec on the wired network: 2 x different 1080p Video's on different unRAID disks.

1 x iMac running KODI on the wired network: 1 x different 1080p video on the same disk as one of the previous videos.

1 x Macbook Air running KODI on the wireless 5GHz wireless channel: 1 x same 1080p video as the first videos.

1 x iPhone running Emby App (transcoding disabled) on the wireless 2.4GHz channel: 1 x different 720p video on different disk to all others.

1 x iPad running Emby App (Transcoding enabled) on the wireless 2.4GHz channel: 1 x 720p video on different disk to all others transcoded to 1080p.

Note: Every KODI / Openelec instance was running the Emby for KODI plugin and set to stream via the Emby HTTP Server and NOT SMB. Streaming from all Mechanical Disks.

Result. All ran flawlessly till the end of each movie (Glad I did it when people were out as it was a bit noisy until I hit mute on all but the one playing Life of Brian in the living room  ;)8)). At the same time (minus lag it took for my to run between rooms and press play). Here is what the server usage stats showed:

server_stats_1.png

server_stats_2.png

I was very surprised. Good Times. Very Happy.

P.S. The Server also runs:

2 x VM's: 1 x W10 with 4GB Memory Allocated and 4 Cores & 1 x Ubuntu 15.10 VM with 2GB Memory Allocated and 2 Cores.

8 x Dockers: See Sig.

15 x Plugins: See Sig.

P.P.S. "Stop That! Ill have your Leg!!!" ;)

• 2 months later...

I have couple questions regarding Emby:

1. Is it possible to "tell" Emby, where to look for new content, when scanning library?

Example: At the moment I have 3 discs in array. Disc 1 and 2 are ~90% full and new content is only added to disc 3. When Emby scan for new content (every Monday at 2.00 am), all 3 discs spin up. Is it possible to tell Emby to spin up only disc 3? I have share Movies, that is stretched over all 3 discs.

2. Similar "problem" that in previous question: When I turn on Kodi after Emby library scan and incremental scan is done, often 2 or all 3 discs spin up. Why is that?

Is there any information, when we can expect official Kodi Server? Like Plex (all in one). I would try Plex but prefer client side transcoding.

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to install the Emby plugin v2.2.10 on Openelec v6.0.3 Kodi15.2 on a RPi 2.  When I go into the repository > Kodi Emby Addons > Video add-ons > Emby and select install I get the error "Installation Failed", and then "Failed to install a dependency". What do I need to do to make this work?