Is a X7SBE a good replacement for an H8DME-2?

My second TAMS server has been fraught with issues. It was easily broken down (easier than the Supermicro SC486, for sure), but once the mods were completed it wouldn't POST. I tried everything I could think of, including checking the onboard video jumper.

It ended up at my favorite computer tech's shop, and he also could not get it to POST. TAMS sent me another CPU. Nothing has worked. The fans connected to the board do spin and the lights on the board are illuminated, but there is no other sign of life.

I found a complete 1U server on eBay for $175 shipped. Same H8DME-2 board, CPU, etc. I would just drop it in as is and add the PCI-X cards I already have. But I thought there might be other options. The Supermicro X7SBE came up on a search. I found all of the components for auction totaling <$60.

What do you think?

I would put something more current in it. Those mb would never run in pass through mode with esxi. Not sure if any body has tried recently with unRaid 6.  I have several as backup servers. I should try and see if they at least can run dockers. (They are running unRaid 5 real good right now)

I would put something more current in it. Those mb would never run in pass through mode with esxi. Not sure if any body has tried recently with unRaid 6.  I have several as backup servers. I should try and see if they at least can run dockers. (They are running unRaid 5 real good right now)

I don't have any use for "extras". Hold files, serve files, calculate parity. That's about the extent of my use. haha

My X7SBE is currently running Unraid 6.0 with a Windows WHS 2011 VM with a SATA controller, USB 3.0 controller and MB Network controller all in PASSTHROUGH mode.  So it is possible unRAID 6 would work on the H8DME-2 but I KNOW it works on the X7SBE.  ESXi is a different story.  I never could get ESXi 5.0 to run a Windows VM well on my X7SBE.  It (Windows VM) would work for a couple of weeks and then lockup.  UNRAID 5.0 in a VM in ESXi ran fine with the IBM 1015 card passed through and never had a problem. However I wouldn't use it if I could get a current processor and MB either.  They would run much cooler and take much less electricity to run.  I also see I should update my SIG since I am not running 6.0beta5 any more on my X7SBE.  And actually I'm just about ready to swap it out for a X9SCM-F MB next weekend so need to update that as well.

The 24 bay unit is running with an Intel board. I bought a mobo and CPU via eBay for $45.63 shipped. I got really discouraged when it wouldn't boot with the ECC RAM from the AMD board. Turns out the RAM sent along with that board was dead. I had a spare 2GB stick and the board sprang to life with it installed.

I'm so relieved the damn thing is working.

Archived