new to docker, I was using plugins, how do I setup

So I just upgraded to 6.0.1 and I would like to start using Docker but not sure what I need to do.  I was using plugins and had everything installed on my cache drive under apps and appdata.  So could someone tell me how I would setup SAB, SB, SONARR or Plex?  If I can get one setup and working I can probably figure out the others.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Take a peek at this guide:

http://lime-technology.com/docker-guide/

I never had any experience with Dockers and set things up in under five minutes.  I think the "tricky" part was just configuring the folders to use your existing shares if desired.

So I just upgraded to 6.0.1 and I would like to start using Docker but not sure what I need to do.  I was using plugins and had everything installed on my cache drive under apps and appdata.  So could someone tell me how I would setup SAB, SB, SONARR or Plex?  If I can get one setup and working I can probably figure out the others.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

well since you are already familiar with appdata as a share location, you're going to find dockers a breeze, relatively.

first off you need to set a docker.img file from the docker settings tab.. use the cache drive for this and choose an image size, i'm not sure how many dockers you intend on using but a fairly middle of the road size is 20G.

i'd recommend installing squid's community applications plugin...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40262.0

pick a docker app you like the look of and install it...

you need to sort out folder and port mappings to suit your setup , it helps to imagine a docker as being similar to a VM in this respect.

folder mappings work something like this... say in the container side of the mapping it's set to /config and you set the host side to /mnt/cache/appdata/<app-name> , inside the container /config becomes the same as /mnt/cache/appdata/<app-name>

use appdata share for your config files etc and media shares for tv-shows/movies and so on.....

port mappings are used to avoid clashes with more than one container fighting for the same port, and they work something like this.

inside the container the port never changes, the host side settting for a port mapping gets translated to the right port in the container , hence you should only ever change the host side settings in port mappings....

also when setting up sickbead and sabnznd etc to talk to each other, don't use localhost or 127.0.0.1 like you would have done with plugins, use the ip address of the actual unraid machine itself.

Whatever you do, make sure you have the correct path for your /config. It will have a path in the /config line, but it isn't the right one if you are using cache drive. 

I'm trying to write a "how to" install Plex for Dummies like me lol. It's easy once you know what you are doing, but difficult if you not sure.

My 1 year old son is playing with me so I can't finish the "how to."

Whatever you do, make sure you have the correct path for your /config. It will have a path in the /config line, but it isn't the right one if you are using cache drive. 

Not sure what you mean

I'm trying to write a "how to" install Plex for Dummies like me lol. It's easy once you know what you are doing, but difficult if you not sure.

My 1 year old son is playing with me so I can't finish the "how to."

that would be very helpful, hope you get it done soon but enjoy play time till then

I would also like to add that I think if someone get write step by step instructions from the very start to the end for one popular Docker it would help a lot of people, making a video would be a bonus.

Based on your setup, your /config would be /mnt/cache/apps/sabnzbd and your /data (where all your downloads reside) would be /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd .  When you get into sabnzbd, be sure to check your configuration to make sure the folders are pointing to the right folders.  Your folders inside the sabnzbd GUI will be pointing to the setup in the docker.  For instance, you won't be able to see /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd in the GUI as all those files and directories will be listed under /data .

Hope this makes sense.

So I would set image size to 20 and /mnt/cache/docker.img

Can you tell me how I would setup Sab based on my old settings? 

I'm just a little confused and once I get one setup I'm sure I can do the others

sparklyballs provided a great rundown of what you need to do to get started.  After you have Docker enabled, pick one of the sabnzbd Dockers to install (I use binhex's).  When you start to add it to your system, there will be some folders you need to configure.  Just enter those paths as I mentioned in a previous post (there'll be a dropdown box to select the folders).  Presumably, this is your first Docker so you shouldn't have to worry about port conflicts so you can leave those alone for now.  Click on "Create" and let it install.  When it is complete, you should be able to click on the sabnzbd Docker icon, and go to the WebGUI.  Check the folders config within sabnzbd and point them at the right directories if they're incorrect.  If you click on "Browse" from within the sabnzbd GUI, you'll see what I mean when I say that your downloads (/mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd) is actually under /data as configured in the Docker.

It may be a bit daunting at first, but give it a shot.  You can't hurt your system!

Sorry, that makes no sense to me.  I hate not understanding this

No, it's not necessary to change anything else.  Just add change the config and data dir and then hit "create".

OK,

so under TEMPLATE do I need to choose anything?

What about network type?

Under volume Mappings do I need to put anything in the first box?

Config should be /mnt/cache/apps/sabnzbd

Downloads should be /mnt/cache/appdata/sabnzbd

anything else?

well since you are already familiar with appdata as a share location, you're going to find dockers a breeze, relatively.

first off you need to set a docker.img file from the docker settings tab.. use the cache drive for this and choose an image size, i'm not sure how many dockers you intend on using but a fairly middle of the road size is 20G.

i'd recommend installing squid's community applications plugin...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40262.0

pick a docker app you like the look of and install it...

you need to sort out folder and port mappings to suit your setup , it helps to imagine a docker as being similar to a VM in this respect.

folder mappings work something like this... say in the container side of the mapping it's set to /config and you set the host side to /mnt/cache/appdata/<app-name> , inside the container /config becomes the same as /mnt/cache/appdata/<app-name>

use appdata share for your config files etc and media shares for tv-shows/movies and so on.....

port mappings are used to avoid clashes with more than one container fighting for the same port, and they work something like this.

inside the container the port never changes, the host side settting for a port mapping gets translated to the right port in the container , hence you should only ever change the host side settings in port mappings....

also when setting up sickbead and sabnznd etc to talk to each other, don't use localhost or 127.0.0.1 like you would have done with plugins, use the ip address of the actual unraid machine itself.

Sparkly, I liked this post as a nice and informal 'getting started', so I've added it to the Dockers section of the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide.  Feel free to edit the wiki.  Your post is fine as it is, but you are welcome to generalize or enhance it if you wish.  I thought about copying some of your info to that Dockers section, but decided I'd rather link to yours.

Glad you got it all working!  Hopefully you feel more confident in setting up the other Dockers.  A reminder to change the host port settings in case you have another Docker that conflicts with one already set up.  Good luck.

thank you all for the help.  It looks like I have SAb up and running now onto the other once the AC guy leaves.  Why does the AC always crap out during the hottest days

SO for something like Sonarr where it asks for Media should I use /mnt/user/TV Shows/

if that's where you have your Tv-Shows, then absolutely.

Just a thought, maybe for LT, but a youtube video running through setting up a docker like Plex or CP might be a good idea. Then they could explain the logic behind for example "the CP docker needs access to your movie folder on unRAID, so you could choose /mnt/user/media/movies or you could choose /mnt/user/media"... and explain why that is possible. I think it would help a lot of people to actually see someone setting up the docker in real time.

OK, back again with another question, this time with Plex

I'm installed Plex by binhex and i'm not sure what to do here.  It installed an now it looks like it wants to install more.  Do I just pick a port?  And what about container volume and Name at the top?

just close that out....

sometimes when in icon mode community applications plugin goes back to that page.

but I haven't set up a port or anything.  The dockers page has no link under port mappings

when in icon mode (the default setting) the community applications plugin returns to you to a blank template after installing a docker sometimes, just close it out by clicking cancel and the docker will be on the dash, trust me....