[SOLVED] Windows 10 insider issues after build 10130

Guys,

I thought I would post here an issue I am having with one of my Windows 10 VM's. Basically one of them is "Stuck on" Build 10130 BUT the other one is fine and has upgraded to Build 10162.

I have posted an explanation  and a question on Technet Forums here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c5533002-8dd5-43aa-b16a-7d2b9f67cb32/update-from-10130-to-10162-or-10166-fails-systemthreadexceptionnothandled?forum=WinPreview2014Feedback

I post it here because I "Believe" it appears that something has changed in recent builds that is not playing nice with my Supermicro Motherboard X10-SL7-F which I know many of you have. I figure that has to be the case because that is the only real difference between the two Servers and Server 2 is working just fine.

Anyway - not an unRAID support issue. Just sharing.

Daniel

Did you try updating from the ISO?    I have a Win10 VM that wouldn't seem to "find" the new build -- didn't try to install with an error; just kept telling me there were no updates (even though it's on the fast track and was running 10103).    Simply ran Setup from the ISO and it upgraded just fine.

I have exactly the same problem, using a Supermicro X10SAE. Windows Update finds the new version but fails when it tries to install it. Installation of the 10162 Build from ISO doesn't work either. Windows crashes on first reboot and reverts everything back to the previous state of Build 10130.

danioj,

Nice writeup over on the MS site.  You have the events and order down exactly.

On my backup server running baremetal, I had exactly the same experience under KVM upgrading from 10130 to 10162. Upgrading from ISO did not work either.  I gave up and did a clean 10162 install from ISO.  Subsequently I have tried to upgrade from 10162 to 10166 and experienced the same issue.

On my main server running under ESXi 5.5U2, I have another Win10 VM that has had no issues upgrading these very same builds.

Both of my servers have identical hardware using the Supermicro X9SCM-IIF mb with Xeon E3-1230V2 cpu.

Same here (failing to AutoUpdate since 10130)...and it seems they have stopped posting the ISO's from 162 and up, and per the Windows Blog at least for now and trying to force everyone on Tech Previews to AutoUpdate instead of ISO update.

On a Supermicro - X10SAE Motherboard with Xeon® E3-1230...

I have the same updating problem on 10130 as well...and I also have a X10 Supermicro board.

Build 10130 is Activated, and I've tried a number of ways to resolve this but so far without any success.

My attempts at updating include running setup from a 10162 iso, running Windows Update (which last night recognised build 10240 present and proceeded to install but failed), repair options etc.

I am not keen to do a clean install from an ISO as MS seem to no longer be activating keys through this method of install...only upgrades from activated installs will get you the latest build.

I wonder if this may potentially mean not being able to update to the final Win10 from a 10130 base build.

Has anyone been able to resolve this from their 10130 install that had been experiencing similar update problems? Or do we simply resign to having to wait for the retail release?

cheers,

gwl

A bit of an update, for those monitoring...

Not sure exactly why it worked, but today my 10130 has been upgraded to 10240, and I confirmed it was still activated. I don't see anywhere any indications it is build 10240, but the Activation screen does say Windows 10 Pro. There is no text on the desktop like there was for 10130 telling me that I am using build 10240.

This morning I did start the upgrade process manually again through the Windows Update, and after it had finished the download I came back to walk through the install to try to further capture any useful bits of information that might have helped in solving the upgrade problem I've been encountering. But to my surprise, the upgrade worked this time!

One thing I did change on the VM side of things was to use CPUSet 1 instead of CPUSet 0 or multiple CPUs. I had changed that setting a few days ago, and I don't think that was the trigger for my success tonight because I think I recall it failing an automated install since the change.

Anyway, perhaps others may want to try again now and see whether there was perhaps something MS had done on top of their 10240 build to get things moving again.

Cheers,

gwl

... There is no text on the desktop like there was for 10130 telling me that I am using build 10240.

That's because it's no longer a "preview" or "insider" version ==>  10240 is actually the RTM version (or was at least intended to be).    There HAVE been two security updates issued since it was released ... I don't know if it will still be the actual RTM release or if those will be incorporated in a "final" version => but since the manufacturers have to be prepping systems for the release date, I suspect the updates won't be incorporated ... they'll just be installed during the initial update check for new systems.

A bit of an update, for those monitoring...

Not sure exactly why it worked, but today my 10130 has been upgraded to 10240, and I confirmed it was still activated. I don't see anywhere any indications it is build 10240, but the Activation screen does say Windows 10 Pro. There is no text on the desktop like there was for 10130 telling me that I am using build 10240.

This morning I did start the upgrade process manually again through the Windows Update, and after it had finished the download I came back to walk through the install to try to further capture any useful bits of information that might have helped in solving the upgrade problem I've been encountering. But to my surprise, the upgrade worked this time!

One thing I did change on the VM side of things was to use CPUSet 1 instead of CPUSet 0 or multiple CPUs. I had changed that setting a few days ago, and I don't think that was the trigger for my success tonight because I think I recall it failing an automated install since the change.

Anyway, perhaps others may want to try again now and see whether there was perhaps something MS had done on top of their 10240 build to get things moving again.

Cheers,

gwl

Thanks gwl.

I was seeing the same problem updating from build 10130. Changed from using 2 cpu cores to 1 and the update to 10240 is now progressing.

I also did some testing before starting the update.

I had noticed that a recovery/reset results in the same symptoms. A few seconds after restart, a light-blue screen is displayed with a sad face and error message. The vm then reboots and no changes have been made.

I was able to use this to test out various vm settings and the only thing that avoided the light-blue sad face was using a single cpu core instead of 2 cpu cores.

Out of curiosity, which cpu core did you use?

Instead of using 0, I set mine to 1 of my available 0-7. I'm just wondering whether if there was some correlation to the cpu core selected?

Interesting, or rather, curious why it worked with a single cpu core eh?

gwl

I used core 0 of my Xeon E3-1246v3. It worked immediately, so I didn't try another one.

Mmm, ok.

So yeah, I guess it didn't matter which core was used, but the key to the upgrade for those of us stuck on 10130 was to use a single core... Glad it helped.

gwl

6 & 7 are actually the same CPU core ... just a different set of registers.

Interesting that either works okay => if there was a problem I'd expect that it would be related to using a hyperthreaded core, but apparently that's not the case.

FWIW my Win 10 VM's both work fine ... one using both cores of an older Core 2 Duo E8500;  the other using all of the cores on an i7-4790.  But these are running under VMware ... not KVM.

Hi Guys,

I've been away for a while with work. Thanks to those for posting the resolution to this issue, I too changed the cores to 1x and then the update worked.

Unfortunately I am now asked for a key again, which I wasn't expecting as I am still part of the insider program. Did anyone else get this issue?

Daniel

Hi Guys,

I've been away for a while with work. Thanks to those for posting the resolution to this issue, I too changed the cores to 1x and then the update worked.

Unfortunately I am now asked for a key again, which I wasn't expecting as I am still part of the insider program. Did anyone else get this issue?

Daniel

Insiders do NOT get a free license.  See this post:  http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/7340-frequently-asked-questions-about-windows-10-free-upgrade.html

Do Windows Insiders get a free license?

* This is a simple question, with a complicated answer. The short answer is No. Neither do Windows 7 or 8/8.1 users. They get a free *UPGRADE*, which is not the same thing as a free license. The *UPGRADE* upgrades an existing valid Retail or OEM Windows 7/8/8.1 license to entitle you to use Windows 10. Just like any other single license, you can only install one copy on one machine at in given time. That one copy can be Windows 7/8/8.1 or Windows 10, but not both at the same time, and not both on different computers. (See section on dual booting and virtual machines).

* The longer answer is "sort of, but not really". If you stay in the Windows Insider program, you will continue to receive what are, for all intents and purposes, "Trial" versions of Windows 10, which expire after a period of time. These builds are Beta and Test versions, so may continue to have problems because they are not "Production level" code. New builds will be released periodically, and you must continue to upgrade to these new "Trial" builds in order to retain a working copy of Windows 10. New builds will be released before the expiration of the old builds. There is no information on how often these builds will occur, but some hints have been that they may come as often as a monthly basis. Perhaps even more frequent on occaion.

The primary difference here is that if you leave the Windows Insider program, you will no longer have a valid license to use Windows 10, so you must acquire one if you want to stay on Windows 10. You can acquire a free valid license either by upgrading an existing qualifying version as specified above within 1 year of the release date of Windows 10 (July 29th), or by purchasing a license for Windows 10 (or through MSDN/Technet or other standard ways). Either way, to stay on Windows 10 you must have a valid license, since one is not given to you simply by participating in the Windows Insider program.

• 1 month later...

Interestingly, I left this for a while - more because I was busy than good management BUT - since i got the message saying that I had to activate  have since re-enabled the "Insider Previews". After I did so I installed the latest and was prompted to activate. I did and low and behold I have a FULL working copy of Windows 10. OK - I know I am technically using an APLHA/BETA version BUT given what I use it for (2 x VM's) I am happy with that AND I do participate in the feedback ....

Quite happy!