How does the free license key work?

According to the Upgrade Wiki page (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6) you can get a "free Trial license for 30 days, renewable for another 30 days when it expires".  How does this system work?  Is the process for renewing the license automatic (effectively no change from the v5 free license) or is this something I would manually have to renew every 30 days (effectively making it a trail software and not for long term use)?

What is the device limit for the v6 software? 4?

According to the Upgrade Wiki page (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6) you can get a "free Trial license for 30 days, renewable for another 30 days when it expires".  How does this system work?  Is the process for renewing the license automatic (effectively no change from the v5 free license) or is this something I would manually have to renew every 30 days (effectively making it a trail software and not for long term use)?

What is the device limit for the v6 software? 4?

It is no longer a free license. It is a trial license. The trial license lasts for 30 days, and can be renewed for another 30 days. It am not sure about renewal options after that.

The free license still works with v5, and with v6 betas.

OK, thanks for clarifying.  And as I understand the Basic license is only good for v6 and won't be usable for v7, etc.  Correct?

I would think that the basic license would continue to work in v7 and beyond - but have not examined the fine print. LimeTech certainly has the ability to limit future features and functions based on the licensed version.

OK, thanks for clarifying.  And as I understand the Basic license is only good for v6 and won't be usable for v7, etc.  Correct?

Past experience says that any paid license remains valid for future releases, although I guess this could change.

I would think that the most likely scenario going forward it is possible that there may be chargeable add-ons rather than a license no longer staying valid.  An example that has been discussed that might fall into this category would be dual parity support if there ends up being license fees payable to a patent holder.

BTW:  I do not think that LimeTech have currently put a limit on the number of times the free 'trial' license can be renewed.  I think the idea is that with the overhead of doing it every 30 days most users who continue to use unRAID will opt for a paid license.

I would think that the basic license would continue to work in v7 and beyond - but have not examined the fine print. LimeTech certainly has the ability to limit future features and functions based on the licensed version.

Hmm, really?  Check out this page: http://lime-technology.com/registrationkeys/

It says "Single unRAID® Server Basic Registration key … $59 (unRAID 6 only)".

I don't mind paying for this software.  It's excellent and I've been using it since 2009.  Although I am bummed that I missed the sale prices  :-\

I don't mind paying for this software.  It's excellent and I've been using it since 2009.  Although I am bummed that I missed the sale prices  :-\

I think that is simply trying to point out that the license key is not valid with v5, not that it will not work with versions later than v6.  Still assuming that is the case the wording could be improved to make it clear.

Basic license was introduced with version 6 and can't be used with version 5, this is explained on the Limetech page.

Where do you read basic license is not valid for any newer version beyond version 6?

Basic license was introduced with version 6 and can't be used with version 5, this is explained on the Limetech page.

Where do you read basic license is not valid for any newer version beyond version 6?

I'm just basing that off of the text I quoted from the linked Licensing page.  I was pretty sure I was right to interpret that to mean the Basic wouldn't be good for future versions, but it was unclear enough for me to pose the question here.  I'm glad I did because it sounds like the Basic license is good for future versions!  I need to get a more definitive answer from Limetech though before purchasing.

I'm just basing that off of the text I quoted from the linked Licensing page.  I was pretty sure I was right to interpret that to mean the Basic wouldn't be good for future versions, but it was unclear enough for me to pose the question here.  I'm glad I did because it sounds like the Basic license is good for future versions!  I need to get a more definitive answer from Limetech though before purchasing.

Perhaps the explanation isn't clear enough, but the remark unRAID 6 only needs be read in context of the current availability of version 5 and version 6.

I confirmed with Tom that (my words) there is no difference between Basic, Plus and Pro when it comes to the potential for free upgrades to later versions of the software beyond v6 (such as v7,8, etc.).  In the past these upgrades have been free but there is no official promise of free upgrades in the future.

I confirmed with Tom that (my words) there is no difference between Basic, Plus and Pro when it comes to the potential for free upgrades to later versions of the software beyond v6 (such as v7,8, etc.).  In the past these upgrades have been free but there is no official promise of free upgrades in the future.

Here is exactly what I stated in above mentioned email correspondence:

"Only unRaid-6 recognized the “Basic” key type, though ‘Plus’ and ‘Pro’ can be used with past versions as well (but with the capabilities of ‘Plus’ and ‘Pro’ in those versions).  Existing keys will work with minor releases of version 6, e.g., 6.1.x, 6.2.x, etc.  If/when we release an ‘unRaid-7’ product we will evaluate at that time how to handle upgrading.  In the past upgrades to major revisions were ‘free’.  I don’t know if we will continue that with unRaid-7, but in any case it would not be an onerous fee; we have always had the policy of being as fair and generous as possible."

And in another followup:

"The principle we follow is that we don’t want anyone to think they are getting a bad deal."

• 2 months later...

Sorry to drag up this older thread but i tried searching with no quick luck.

With my Plus key I purchased under v4 or v5 and I currently use under v6 (works perfectly) I can now utilize 12 dives vs. 7 drives?

I know the website says 12 but doesn't say it weather or not the version the key was purchased under changes the terms.

Thanks

(Since you can't search with a single character term, I was having trouble drilling down to the information I was looking for. I couldn't use just use the number '5' or '6' in my search text string so I was getting all sorts of returns using '5.0' and '6.0'.)

Sorry to drag up this older thread but i tried searching with no quick luck.

With my Plus key I purchased under v4 or v5 and I currently use under v6 (works perfectly) I can now utilize 12 dives vs. 7 drives?

I know the website says 12 but doesn't say it weather or not the version the key was purchased under changes the terms.

Thanks

(Since you can't search with a single character term, I was having trouble drilling down to the information I was looking for. I couldn't use just use the number '5' or '6' in my search text string so I was getting all sorts of returns using '5.0' and '6.0'.)

the limits in v6 apply to the license type purchased regardless of what the limits were for that license on earlier releases.  As you have noticed the number of drives has increased for the Plus license.    One small change is that for all licenses except pro the license applies to the drives attached to the server - not just those used by unRAID.  However since the limits increased this is not really a problem.