Plex Tip - Choosing a Plex Docker

So how much of an ordeal is it to switch Plex Dockers?

I'm currently using Binhex, but will be getting the Plex Pass soon so I can ditch my Chromecast and watch directly through my Xbox 1, and I think I'm going to use the Linuxserver version.

I just made the switch myself, went from Needo to Linuxserver.  Here's what I did:

• Stopped the old docker
  • Made a note of all the Docker settings (including the advanced page)
  • Deleted the old docker
  • Addded the new docker using the same settings
  • Started the new docker and added my plex credentials to the Server tab.
  • At this point remote access wasn't working so I restarted the docker again and then everything worked.
  • My Plex libraries, configuration, etc. all seem fine.  However, I had to re-share the libraries with my kids, those settings were lost.

But... there is currently a bug in the Linuxserver docker being discussed here: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41333.msg394534#msg394534 I'd recommend waiting for it to be fixed before switching.  This has been fixed.

I was referring to the files that Plex creates in the appdata folder.  I'm still running needo's too, and I can't put files in the plug-ins directory over the network:

\\tower\appdata\Plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins

I expect that once I switch to Linuxserver's that won't be an issue.

Well, I have now converted to Linuxserver's and it did not solve this problem.  Makes sense, as it only changed the owner, it didn't chmod the files.  However, now I am really not clear on why user 99 is better than user 999 that Needo's used. 

UPDATE - so the fix for this particular issue is to stop the Plex docker, SSH to the server, and run:

chmod -R ug+rw /path/to/plex/appdata

This is a one time fix, and now I can modify appdata over the network.

Any plans for the limetech version to install the plex pass version in the future?  Seems like the limetech version is out for a lot of users.

I know jonp contacted the Plex team for guidance via the Plex forum. Who knows where that will go though.

LT as a commercial entity has to consider legal ramifications very seriously when it comes to accessing paid for versions of software.

Needo - All updates rely on a script on the baconopolis.net server, which checks for new versions every 2 hours. Restart the Docker to get the latest version that the script knows about.

The 2 hours is incorrect, it's actually 600 seconds (10 minutes)

Source:  I wrote/host the script

-Eric/Heuristic

Needo - All updates rely on a script on the baconopolis.net server, which checks for new versions every 2 hours. Restart the Docker to get the latest version that the script knows about.

-Eric/Heuristic

Our data was based on a previous post i saw you posted. Glad you cleard that up :)

-Eric/Heuristic

Thanks for clearing that up, I was misinformed, the linuxserver one is now only cached for 5 minutes.

I'm going to change the values to 10 minutes in line with baconopolis, no point getting into a pissing contest when we are both helping out the community and it really makes very little difference anyway.

Sounds good to me, I've updated the main post

Thanks for this thread!  I switched from Limetechs docker to Linuxservers, because i was super excited about the layest Plex Pass release.

Warning, it did take about 20 minutes to re-ACL everything before Plex started.

care to share the re-ACL,

Its part of the docker, set permissions correctly automatically....

Myk

• 3 months later...

So how much of an ordeal is it to switch Plex Dockers?

I'm currently using Binhex, but will be getting the Plex Pass soon so I can ditch my Chromecast and watch directly through my Xbox 1, and I think I'm going to use the Linuxserver version.

I just made the switch myself, went from Needo to Linuxserver.  Here's what I did:

• Stopped the old docker
  • Deleted the old docker
  • At this point remote access wasn't working so I restarted the docker again and then everything worked.
  • My Plex libraries, configuration, etc. all seem fine.  However, I had to re-share the libraries with my kids, those settings were lost.

I'm trying to move from LT Plex to Linuxserver plex so i can use plexpass but once i create it using the same settings as LT, nothing happens. It just stays at

-----------------------------------
_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \ 
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

Using version: 0.9.12.19.1537-f38ac80 from Public latest
No need to update!
‘/defaults/plexmediaserver’ -> ‘/etc/default/plexmediaserver’

I haven't deleted the old docker though, so i could revert back if needed. Would that be the issue? Obviously only 1 docker is running at a time, but they are both sharing the same config folder.

If i create linuxserver plex with it's own config folder it launches fine.

I've left it running to see if it's trying to do something in the background.

As half expected, leaving it for 10 minutes, it sorted itself out  :D

Pretty much all the linuxserver applications auto update themselves upon starting up, so the time period you're seeing isn't unexpected  if it had to download a new update to plex or if the internet was slow at the time, etc.
  • 1 month later...

Has the availability of Plex Pass in the Lime Tech docker changed since this thread was started? I'd prefer to stay on the official docker, but I'm a lifetime Plex Pass member and I want my premium features. :)

I believe that the Plex Pass features is connected to your account and not specifically to a Plex Pass release.

The Plex Pass releases is where all new features show up first so it’s more like a preview of new functionality that is implemented and an opportunity to find new bugs and “enjoy” them for a while before they get fixed.

Has the availability of Plex Pass in the Lime Tech docker changed since this thread was started? I'd prefer to stay on the official docker, but I'm a lifetime Plex Pass member and I want my premium features. :)

I believe that the Plex Pass features is connected to your account and not specifically to a Plex Pass release.

The Plex Pass releases is where all new features show up first so it’s more like a preview of new functionality that is implemented and an opportunity to find new bugs and “enjoy” them for a while before they get fixed.

Yes you become the beta tester.

Plex Pass is both beta testing/early release of features and premium features (such as Plex Home or Plex Sync to name a few). So Plex Pass matters if you use specific premium features, however it is as mentioned in this sense specific to just beta testing new releases. You will not lose any premium functionality being on the "official release" unless of course the premium functionality was just released and not in the official release thread yet. Your plex pass functionality is tied to your login and login only to Plex.

Plex Pass is both beta testing/early release of features and premium features (such as Plex Home or Plex Sync to name a few). So Plex Pass matters if you use specific premium features, however it is as mentioned in this sense specific to just beta testing new releases. You will not lose any premium functionality being on the "official release" unless of course the premium functionality was just released and not in the official release thread yet. Your plex pass functionality is tied to your login and login only to Plex.

Thanks all! I'm going to stick with the LimeTech docker for now unless I find a compelling reason to use a different one.

As half expected, leaving it for 10 minutes, it sorted itself out  :D

Pretty much all the linuxserver applications auto update themselves upon starting up, so the time period you're seeing isn't unexpected  if it had to download a new update to plex or if the internet was slow at the time, etc.

and on top of that it recursively goes through your config folder to update permissions. Seeing as how many files Plex can have in its metadata, 10min is a good time! LOL.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but it's still relevant.  I have a few questions though...

In the original post you've stated that transcoding outside of the docker is no longer required.  The link to the original instructions no longer works.  I must have missed something somewhere, since my current setup has the host path of /transcode mapped to /mnt/cache/appdata/plexmediaserver/transcode/ (and in Plex Transcoder settings, the temporary directory is /transcode).

Are you saying I don't need to do this any more?  If not, what's the current advice?

Also, I'm looking to move from linuxserver's version to the official Plex docker.  I've moved before without fuss, but I just want to make sure I get it right...

• Stopped the old docker
  • Deleted the old docker

I'm not sure whether the option was there when I last updated, but when deleting the old docker, I have the selected option of "also remove image".  I'm having a bit of a thick day today, so just to be clear, do I remove the image?

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2017 at 2:54 AM, Cessquill said:

In the original post you've stated that transcoding outside of the docker is no longer required.  The link to the original instructions no longer works.  I must have missed something somewhere, since my current setup has the host path of /transcode mapped to /mnt/cache/appdata/plexmediaserver/transcode/ (and in Plex Transcoder settings, the temporary directory is /transcode).

Are you saying I don't need to do this any more?  If not, what's the current advice?

If you have a /transcode directory specified, there is no reason to remove it (I still have mine too.) New users shouldn't have to worry about it though as Plex changed the default transcode location so it is outside of the docker image.

On 3/3/2017 at 2:54 AM, Cessquill said:

when deleting the old docker, I have the selected option of "also remove image".  I'm having a bit of a thick day today, so just to be clear, do I remove the image?

yeah, I would

• Upvote 1