Plex library/transcode folder location: on Share SSD, or on unprotected SSD?

Any comments on which would be better? I'm about to upgrade from a v5 installation to a v6, and this should be a great occasion to replace my existing Cache Drive (and especially the Plex Library and transcode folders) with an SSD.

Usage Patterns:

Array WD Red x6 + 1 HGST Parity, core i3 4150 16gb, on X10SL7-F

Currently mostly used as a Media Server, using PLEX. Maximum 3 streams at a time.

My transfers to the Cache drive varies from about 50gb, to 200+ gb at a time

Ideally one should now use a 2x SSD Cache Pool, running plex off the pool...

Existing Setup, on unraid v5:

Cache

WD Black 750gb (2.5-inch, 1.5 years old)

> Includes Plex Library and Transcode Folders (all in a share-only App folder). Covers and menu currently takes some time to load!!

Upgrade option 1, on unraid v6

Benefit: no more spinners for cache drive; straightforward clean upgrade from unraid v5 to v6

• Upgrade Cache Drive
    to Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD
    > Includes Plex Library and Transcode Folders (all in a share-only App folder)

Upgrade option 2, on unraid v6

Benefit: I get to upgrade my PC gaming drive from a 256gb to a 500gb

• No change to Cache Drive
    WD Black 750gb (2.5-inch)

• Add 2-year old SSD from PC (about 6.5TBW)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD
    For Plex Library and Transcode Folders

Upgrade option 3, on unraid v6

Benefit: Same as 1 and 2, but at 1/2 the Cache

• Swap Cache Drive
    Add 2-year old Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb (about 6.5TBW)
    > Includes Plex Library and Transcode Folders (all in a share-only App folder)

Thanks guys! Interesting stuff!

I'd wonder if 16gb of RAM is enough - my Plex transcodes to the Roku is always done at 20mbps. I would love to upgrade to 32gb, though at the moment purchasing another 16gb ECC memory would hurt a little, haha.

I created a volume mapping for it as /transcode -> /tmp

Then in your plex server settings under transcoder (make sure you click show advanced) set the "Transcoder temporary directory" to your docker volume mapping.  This will allow you to swap the Host path to anything you want (/tmp for RAM or anywhere else on your system)

Then in your plex server settings under transcoder (make sure you click show advanced) set the "Transcoder temporary directory" to your docker volume mapping.  This will allow you to swap the Host path to anything you want (/tmp for RAM or anywhere else on your system)

OH! That's brilliant! Thank you!

OH! That's brilliant! Thank you!

Also see https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37553.0

Does migrating from 32bit to 64bit of plex work okay on the existing 32bit library files?

I don't want Plex to sift through the entire library again; and more importantly, re-do all the manual edits to the Plex libraries all over again!!!

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/88712/migrating-plex-from-32-to-64-bit-on-ubuntu-should-i-expect-issues

I'm replacing my file server's dusty Pentium-based innards with some beefier Core i5 hardware. I'm currently running Ubuntu x86, but plan on a clean install with the x64 version.

My question: can I expect to install PMS x64 and simply plop my existing 32-bit "/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server" directory in the same spot? Will that work for maintaining my settings, preferences etc... or are there significant changes/issues I should be aware of?

Thanks for any insight.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally moved to unraid v6!! Setting up unraid and plugins up was much easier than I expected!!

Did a clean install (with several safe .cfg files from v5) on an 850 EVO.

Not sure whether I've made the right choice in using LimeTech's Plex docker install, than Needo's.

Took a while to figure out the mapping of Plex Library directories. Needed to install and run Plex once to see where the Library directory goes, then used the command line to copy the Plex libraries from the old cache drive over to the new SSD.

Plex posters now load so much faster!

• 2 years later...
On 8/7/2015 at 12:07 PM, Shunz said:

Finally moved to unraid v6!! Setting up unraid and plugins up was much easier than I expected!!

Did a clean install (with several safe .cfg files from v5) on an 850 EVO.

Not sure whether I've made the right choice in using LimeTech's Plex docker install, than Needo's.

Took a while to figure out the mapping of Plex Library directories. Needed to install and run Plex once to see where the Library directory goes, then used the command line to copy the Plex libraries from the old cache drive over to the new SSD.

Plex posters now load so much faster!

so let me just confirm you went with Option #1 it looks like and used a 500 GB SSD as an Unraid Host & Cache/Transcode drive? 

I'm looking to do something similar and was wondering. 

I have 2x 250GB SSD and was thinking should i use 1 as Unraid Host + Plex docker storage

and 2nd 250GB SSD as Transcoding/ Cache ?

will this be a recommended in my case , thanks guys.