ip over thunderbolt possible in unraid?

Hello,

I’ve never built a NAS before, but I'm considering it to help me consolidate my data

on top of all the personal data I have I run Computer business out of my house and I end up imaging multiple machines a day.

I find my gigabit ethernet network slow, I know I could make the transition to 10Gb ethernet and I might have to but considering the cheapest NICs I see on newegg are about $300 each I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

For most of my needs e.g. the personal media servers I'm going run etc  I don't need faster than gigabit, but at least for my imaging machine for work I want to faster connection.

I know on Windows and on Macs you can do thunderbolt bridging to setup a network and do ip over thunderbolt it is significantly faster point-to-point for transfers then gigabit ethernet

Would it be possible for me to set up a Thunderbolt bridge to a unraid box for faster transfers in a similar manner?

thanks

Hello,

I’ve never built a NAS before, but I'm considering it to help me consolidate my data

on top of all the personal data I have I run Computer business out of my house and I end up imaging multiple machines a day.

I find my gigabit ethernet network slow, I know I could make the transition to 10Gb ethernet and I might have to but considering the cheapest NICs I see on newegg are about $300 each I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

For most of my needs e.g. the personal media servers I'm going run etc  I don't need faster than gigabit, but at least for my imaging machine for work I want to faster connection.

I know on Windows and on Macs you can do thunderbolt bridging to setup a network and do ip over thunderbolt it is significantly faster point-to-point for transfers then gigabit ethernet

Would it be possible for me to set up a Thunderbolt bridge to a unraid box for faster transfers in a similar manner?

thanks

If you want to do a little leg work, google 'linux thunderbolt'.  From a quick glance I guess there are mixed results.  If you find Thunderbolt-capable controller that uses an in-kernel driver, we will certainly add the support upon request.

If you want to do a little leg work, google 'linux thunderbolt'.  From a quick glance I guess there are mixed results.  If you find Thunderbolt-capable controller that uses an in-kernel driver, we will certainly add the support upon request.

ok thanks for the info, it looks like thunderbolt support was added in kernel 3.17 atleast for the cactus ridge controller  (which is good for me as it would support the thunderbolt used in most mac's from 2012-2014 and presumably many PC motherboards)

so i suppose i should post a request for it then :)

ok thanks for the info, it looks like thunderbolt support was added in kernel 3.17 atleast for the cactus ridge controller  (which is good for me as it would support the thunderbolt used in most mac's from 2012-2014 and presumably many PC motherboards)

I could only find one m/b on newegg that supports it.

• 4 years later...
On 7/20/2015 at 3:16 AM, limetech said:

Hello again, i made a couple of posts to get support for Thunderbolt, but it isnt realy working in Unraid at Version 6.83 (paid lisence) i can see the card (Gigaybe Titan Ridge) is there but some drivers are missing. As Hardware wise i crosschecked with a Windows installation on same machine.. all working fine.

Q. is what do i need to do to get your support ?

kind regards from Germany