Parity check causes disk to redball

Hi guys,

I've got a very peculiar situation. I will describe it step by step:

1. I built a new unRAID server v6.0.1. Precleared all disks - OK.

2. Transferred the data from the old one to this one. All OK.

3. Parity check - lots of errors, disk1 redballs.

4. As I'm sure in this disk, do new config, assign the disks to the array. It starts parity sync that finishes OK.

5. I do rsync dry run to check the integrity of the files on disk1 - all OK, no errors!

6. Parity check - again, lots of errors, disk1 redballs.

Notice that errors *only* happen during parity check. Parity sync, data transfer, rsync all finish OK.  :-\

Relevant portion of the syslog attached.

syslog_partial.zip

PSU: 2 x Supermicro 1200W

MB: Dell 0YXT71

SATA: Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 with the latest FW

Backplane: Supermicro SAS2-846EL1

RAM: 8Gb (tested OK)

PS: I read about SAS2LP lockup bug, but that was resolved in Kernel 3.6.2-1.fc16 (?)

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys, what is so special about parity check? What does it do that no other unRaid operations never do?

Just to explain my point what works and what doesn't:

1. rsync to transfer data - OK

2. array recovery - OK

3. parity check - lots of errors, disk redballs, controller locks up sometimes.

I even thought the old bug mentioned here raised its ugly head again ("everything works well, untill i do parity check. then i get a lot of errors."  - sounds familiar?) But I reflashed the firmware like other guys did, and it didn't fix it.

TL;DR: I got tired waiting for a solution, so just bough M1015, reflashed to IT mode, and all is peachy. My SAS2LP is collecting the dust now...

• 2 weeks later...

"what is so special about parity check? What does it do that no other unRaid operations never do?"

So pretty much, why SAS2LP works for every operation except parity check?

Reading a file only involves the drive being read.

Writing a file to cache only involves the cache drive.

Writing a file on the parity-protected array only involves the drive being written and the parity drive.

Checking parity, or rebuilding parity, or rebuilding a data disk, all require all drives to be accessed simultaneously.

Writing a file on the parity-protected array only involves the drive being written and the parity drive.

Checking parity, or rebuilding parity, or rebuilding a data disk, all require all drives to be accessed simultaneously.

Did you read my post?

Rebuilding a data disk worked OK several times. Checking parity always killed it.

Did you read my post?

Rebuilding a data disk worked OK several times. Checking parity always killed it.

I didn't re-read the entire (old) thread if that's what you mean. Seemed like you said your problems were solved.

Check out this thread.  I don't know if his fix will apply to others, but it seems worth trying, if you're in a position to purchase a new set of memory.  I confess I also didn't read enough to know if his situation is the same as yours.

All OK after I changed the controller.

So there is something with SAS2LP and parity check only. That's what's really strange...