[support] MakeMKV-RDP container Deprecated

hey guys,

i want to move makemkv activities also to the unraid box. now i have an old dvd/bluray combo-drive, but it reads blu-rays with only 1.6x (6.8 MB), so one disc takes around ~60 mins.

does anybody have suggestions for an external usb-drive (can be a dvd-writer/bluray-reader, or even dvd-/bluray-writer combination)? would be perfect, if those are tested/known to work with makemkv-rdp container.

would appreciate any ideas, thx.

MakeMKV-RDP Container

Finally got this container working just now. Had tried when I first started using unRAID about a month or two ago and did something wrong, who knows what. Blew away existing config, reinstalled with proper path and port mapping, and it's doing its thing as I type this message. It hasn't gotten far enough along the current disk to say for sure, but it looks like it's going about as fast as was when I had this drive in the Windows machine that unRAID is replacing. I understand that Docker isn't really supposed to add any overhead, but you never know what the differences are going to be between two completely different systems.

Now to see how long it takes to go through the pile of DVDs and Blu-rays in my closet. :-P

Thanks Saarg!

Took me about a month (I'm not home as much as I'd like) to get around 500 discs ripped.

hey guys,

i want to move makemkv activities also to the unraid box. now i have an old dvd/bluray combo-drive, but it reads blu-rays with only 1.6x (6.8 MB), so one disc takes around ~60 mins.

does anybody have suggestions for an external usb-drive (can be a dvd-writer/bluray-reader, or even dvd-/bluray-writer combination)? would be perfect, if those are tested/known to work with makemkv-rdp container.

would appreciate any ideas, thx.

Every blu-ray drive should work. What you should check before buying is if it has riplock or not. My 12x from Asus does have riplock and only rips at 4x. Google is your friend in this situation  :)

hello all. i am having a problem getting the app to start not what i am doing wrong not really sure about the what to put in the host ports can someone help with this. thanks

Click on the log icon and attach that here and I'll see what is up. Also post a screenshot of the template.

hello all. i am having a problem getting the app to start not what i am doing wrong not really sure about the what to put in the host ports can someone help with this. thanks

Did you map your bd device?

Mine is:  --device=/dev/sr0:/dev/sr0

in the extra params line

1st part /dev/sr0: - is what device unraid see its at

2nd art /dev/sr0 is what the docker container needs to see it at

yours more than likely is not showing up at /dev/sr0 - you need to figure that out and add the line to extra params - then the docker should start - whithout know what your bd drive device is - it wont start

Myk

hello. iam trying to set up make mkv but i can not get to start i am not sure what to put in the host ports any help would be grateful thanks

steps necessary:

1) goto Tools / System Devices

you'll see all devices in the section USB-/SCSI Devices. normally a dvd-drive will be recognized as a SCSI-device. look here for your drive (it has after the []-part it's label as cd/dvd noted). if you can't figure it out a hint: disconnect the drive, come back to this section, or reload your web-browser and make a screenshot of the USB-/SCSI area. now connect the drive again, come back again (or reload the page) and compare it with the screenshot. you should see at last one more device listed – that should be your dvd-drive.

2) device-address for docker container

if you found your device (see above) then note (or copy & paste) the exact device address; it usually begins with /dev/srX (where X = 0 for first device, and subsequent higher for additional devices). so in my case it is /dev/sr0

3) goto Docker menu

single click on the listed docker entry (e.g. MakeMKV-RDP) and choose "Edit".

3a) Volume Mappings

you need to populate paths for the preconfigured container volumes for /config and /unRaid. /config is mostly the destination, where the docker (or program therein) saves it's own configuration files. if you have a cache drive, then enter it's path in the host path field right from the /config field. for example with a cache ssd drive it looks like: "/mnt/cache/appdata/MakeMKV-RDP"

the /unRaid container volume needs to mapped to a writeable share. for example, if you have setup before a share called "Movies" and you want to rip directly into it, you would define it as "/mnt/user/Movies/"

3b) Port Mappings

don't touch the container port fields, they stay like they are setup. for the host port it depends, if you have either other docker, which use the same port, or install more than one docker instance of MakeMKV. if you haven't installed much and this is your 1st MakeMKV docker, then probably you leave these ports as listed.

4) starting the docker

again, goto to Docker and single click on the docker icon for MakeMKV. choose "Start" if it isn't started already, or if you changed settings in step 3a/3b then click on "Restart". give it a short moment of time to start up, then again single click on it and this time choose "WebUI". your browser opens into a RDP-session and you see a login panel; simply click on "OK"-button and boom, you see the program and can start to configure it for use.

5) MakeMKV & destination folder setup

you don't want to blow up your docker image file, so you need to setup MakeMKV's destination path. goto preferences and enter there exactly "/unRaid" (of course without ""). apply/save changes and you should be good to go.

I'm getting an error failed to store registration code in settings when entering the key.

Need some assistance.

I got the same problem , I just got the key and I cannot make it work again .

Thanks for the help  .

Try doing it how it's described in the OP.

I remove the container and added it back , and same problem

I created the settings.conf with the app_Key = "xxxxx" and nothing

I also tried to Past  ( control/shift/alt  ) in the side windows and right click on the registration pop-up, it shows the key in the pop-up windows but it fails.

what Am I missing ?

I remove the container and added it back , and same problem

I created the settings.conf with the app_Key = "xxxxx" and nothing

I also tried to Past  ( control/shift/alt  ) in the side windows and right click on the registration pop-up, it shows the key in the pop-up windows but it fails.

what Am I missing ?

I just tested this and it's working here both pasting in the registration field through RDP (clipoard doesn't work through the webui) and in the settings.conf.

The settings.conf file must be in the config folder as mykroft says. Be sure that you have written the below correctly with the "

app_Key = ""

What error message do you get?

and using the Crtl+c and crtl+v  didn't work , but let me show you what I  did.

on the 1st screen you press crtl+alt+shift

on the 2nd screen you crtl+v in the big box

make sure the text input is select

than right click on the popup windows and paste.

but still not working

mvkreg.PNG.8a3fbdfd9d1c50383812457ae8b228a8.PNG

I told you that it doesn't work to copy/paste in the webgui. You have to use RDP to connect for this to work.

Remove the container completely and delete the config folder in /mnt/user/VM/. It's not a good path to put the config. You should always make a folder for the container you are installing. So in this case (If you really want to have it in /mnt/user/VM and not /mnt/cache/appdata) you need to put this in the hostpath: /mnt/user/VM/makemkv.

Now the config will be in the makemkv folder and not in the root of the VM folder. If you install more than one container and use the same folder for all configs you will have a mess!

Second thing is that your host path and the network path doesn't add up. You should have an extra config folder inside /mnt/user/VM/config as that is how I set it up.

After you have installed the container again, stop it right away and go into the folder you specified in the host path of the container template. Inside that folder there should be a folder called config. If there is no folder, create it.

Now create the settings.conf in that folder and add the app_Key stuff and save it.

Start the container again and it should work.

1st of all THANK YOU !!!!

I remove the container again , set the config to appdata , copy the settings.conf before opeing the WEBUI and it is working  !

Thanks a lot !

I really appreciate it.

Good to hear you got it working  :)

I'm having similar issues as above and as I've had in the past. MakeMKV was working well for a long time, but didn't like one of the latests discs that I put in, so I restarted and when I opened the GUI again, I get an error stating I'm not using the latest version and need to enter a registration key if I want to continue (I have a paid registration key that I've typed in more times than I care to do).

I've modified the settings.config file a number of times, but my edits don't effect the program. Modifying settings or entering the key within the GUI edit the config file, but I can't get it to work the other way which is very strange.

I just opened my settings.config file and my registration code is still present, so I'm not sure why it isn't working.

Here's the path to my file: /mnt/cache/Docker/apps/MakeMKV/config

And here's my settings.config file contents:

#

# MakeMKV settings file, written by MakeMKV v1.9.10 linux(x64-release)

#

app_DestinationDir = "/unRaid/Movies/Adult"

app_DestinationType = "3"

app_Key = "M-Bjb9mgHIiL......x5ygIn"

app_dtshddec = ""

I've had a similar issue in the past, but found that if I never restart the GUI, the key doesn't disappear.