New server hardware check

noel_w

Hi guys

I have a current V5 box that is running fine but want to relegate it to backup duties and build myself a V6 box for mainly NAS duties but also plex and playing around with VMs. It will be located in my lounge room so am trying to make it as quiet as possible. If it works out with the VM it may end up being the HTPC as well.

Current items I have picked for the build are listed below. Being in Australia prices are fairly hefty but I want this to last a long time and also will want to add to it as I go.

Supermicro X10SL7-F

Xeon CPU E3-1241v3

Fractal Design Define R5 Mid Tower Case Titanium

SeaSonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum PSU Version II

Western Digital RED NAS WD60EFRX 6TB x 2 (1 x Parity and 1 x Data) More to be added later when finance allows and data grows.

4 x Dell 4GB.PC3-8500R-7-10-E1.ECC 1066 RAM (16GB)

The only questionable thing is the RAM. It is leftover from a Dell Server at work. The server came with this ram but before being installed it was upgraded to 16GB sticks so this RAM has never been used and was going to be binned. The X10SL7-F specs call for 1600 RAM but I am hoping that the 1066 will work albeit with performance drop. If it doesn't work then I will have to fork out for 1600 RAM but hoping not.

Can you guys run an eye over the build and see if I have made any glaring mistakes and/or if you think I should change any items.

Thanks (and long time lurker)

As for everything else ... very nice case; excellent power supply, motherboard, and processor, and very good choice of high-quality hard drives.

A couple of things to consider ...

=>  Dual fault-tolerance is coming in v6.2, which isn't likely too far in the future (I hesitate to predict just how long, but I'd hope by the end of this year) ... so you'll need to plan for an additional drive to support the 2nd check drive.

=>  While you only have a single data drive, the performance will be MUCH better than it will be after you add a 2nd drive, as UnRAID recognizes this unique situation and treats the data and parity drive as a RAID-1 array.    Once you have multiple data drives, the more typical 4 I/O's per write are invoked, and write speeds will drop appreciably.    In other words, don't be surprised when this happens  :)

Thanks garycase, exactly what I was hoping for (that someone would pick up my glaring mistake) Looks like I will be slowing down my build a bit until I can find some other RAM.

Finance is the only thing keeping the build down but I have planned on a basic good quality build I can add to as money allows.

I had wondered about the single data drive and I take it on board that performance will drop once I add more drives. Being primarily a media storage server that will hopefully not be an issue, reading more than writing. My current V5 box running on a Celeron and 1GB RAM hasn't let me down serving so far.

Looking forward to building this beast and having the luxury of having 2 unraid boxes for extra security. I plan to keep the old box hidden in my garage and do weekly data backups of my important data.

... also note that once dual fault tolerance is available, you don't HAVE to assign a 2nd check drive ("Q") => you can just keep running with a single parity drive (and thus single fault tolerance) if you want.    I'd recommend adding the 2nd drive as soon as possible, as you're MUCH better protected ... but it's not an absolute requirement.

The key benefit of the 2nd level of fault tolerance is that when one drive fails,  you're not "at risk" (i.e. in danger of data loss) during the rebuild of that failed drive, so if a 2nd drive fails while you're rebuilding the first, everything's still okay.

Thanks garycase  :) :)

It's nice to have the hardware double checked and to be able to order it with confidence you are doing the right thing.

It is one of the great things about unraid is that you can upgrade as you go without having to backup everything, break and rebuild raids then restore data etc. My plan is to add another parity drive later as you suggest.

OK, the supplier I was going to use has pulled the pin on supplying the mobo so have to look elsewhere. I want to use the same supplier for the mobo, cpu and RAM. The new supplier can supply them all except for the RAM so (if compatible) I was looking at their offering http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR16E11_8I.pdf or this one http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR16LE11_8HB.pdf

Is either of these a good fit guys?

Thanks for looking.