trouble with GTX 750 Ti Passthrough

I've just setup a new Windows 10 VM on my server with the following hardware:

ASRock - C216 WS

Xeon CPU E3-1270 V2

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

My Window 10 VM runs fine with the graphics card set to VNC, and will even run with audio set to NVIDA device. If I switch the graphics card to the 750 and It puts the monitor into power saving. I do not think my CPU has onboard video, is this causing a problem since unraid is using it for the console?

The only option I see is to change primary display adapter, there are no on board graphics since my CPU doesn't support it.

I can start the server with the hdmi from the gtx 750 showing boot up and then the unraid console, but as soon as I start my VM the monitor goes into power saving mode.

I'm going to grab a spare video card tomorrow and see if it behaves any better with a primary card for unraid.

I got this working by installing an older GPU in the first PCI slot and putting the 750 in the second slot. That worked right away and I was able to pass through a usb controller as well.

Do you need at lease one card installed for unraid if your board doesn't have onboard video?

im successful map 1 GPU to Openelec on KVM, and this is my prime card, but i will be must

check eveything becuase log time i was using without any GPU .... so i dont remeber all step what i maked

I have special moded bios with pass me to run any system when i dont have any GPU (normaly you hear beep from speaker and bios stop, no boot)

On syslinux i must only redirect console to serial port, otherwise i was not able to boot unraid without GPU

maybe this trick help user with only 1 GPU

default /syslinux/menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology
console 0 9600
prompt 0
timeout 5
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append append initrd=/bzroot console=ttyS0,9600n8

look for more at:

If flag_val is 0, disable output to the normal video console. If flag_val is 1, enable output to the video console (this is the default.) Some BIOSes try to forward this to the serial console which can make a total mess of things, so this option lets you disable the video console on these systems.

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#CONSOLE_flag_val

I got this working by installing an older GPU in the first PCI slot and putting the 750 in the second slot. That worked right away and I was able to pass through a usb controller as well.

Do you need at lease one card installed for unraid if your board doesn't have onboard video?

I had this this exact same problem on my ASRock H97M Pro 4.  I couldn't get any thing to pass through until I added an old GPU in my primary PCI-E slot.  My CPU has no onboard video.

I had this this exact same problem on my ASRock H97M Pro 4.  I couldn't get any thing to pass through until I added an old GPU in my primary PCI-E slot.  My CPU has no onboard video.

Did you end up leaving the old GPU in? I didn't try removing it and starting the VM, but I have a feeling it won't work without the old one in place for unraid to use.

i have also Asrock Extreme11 Z77 - and for me work on one GPU, and also my CPU dont have any GPU or i dont have any other - just one GT720 - and i was able to pass GPU

Please check IMMOU group if your GPU is in separate group without any other devices,

Becuase example GT720 -i  always have in sep. group but when i put (single)GTX970 - was in group with other devices and i have problem, sometimes help switch PCIE port or put other GPU or just put other devices in first PCIE - in my example DVB-S2 tuner.

Did you end up leaving the old GPU in? I didn't try removing it and starting the VM, but I have a feeling it won't work without the old one in place for unraid to use.

I did end up leaving it in.  If I took it out, even with the GPU I wanted to pass through in the second Pci-E slot, it wouldn't work

• 1 month later...

I too seem to be having the same issue and cannot get a display out for Openelec or Ubuntu. I have an AMD A4 5300 APU and the GTX 750Ti as discrete video card, the card is outputting as I have my HDMI plugged into it and in use for BIOS settings etc.

You need to make sure that graphics are output using the on-board graphics for the unRAID console.  If you are seeing the console on the NVIDIA GPU, that's your problem.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to revive old thread, but was this fixed?  We are up to version 6.6.1 now, wondering if it's fixed.  I had an HD 6450 and everything was working fine.  I decided to upgrade to an RX 460 and now my video is 640 x 480 and it won't let me change it.  It even detects it as RX 460, but won't let me switch resolutions.  I found it kinda odd... and it might be a whole different problem, but just wondering, because I have 2 SuperMicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 sata controllers on the other PICe slots and can't take them out to put a video card on there.

Thanks!

GPU pass through with AMD cards can be very tricky at best.  Some cards work better than others, but it's tough to predict which will be ok and which won't.  Out of curiosity, you don't happen to have your VM configured to use both a VNC and a GPU graphics device, do you?  Edit your VM and scroll down to the graphics portion.  You should have it set to only have your GPU.  If you have both a VNC and a GPU, that may be your problem.

• 5 years later...
On 7/30/2015 at 10:03 PM, mostlydave said:

Just curious as I'm thinking on building a 2nd Unraid server especially for VMs using hardware passthrough and will be using a GTX 750. Do you have separate monitors attached to the older PCI card and another monitor attached to the GTX 750? 

Thanks kindly