Problem upgrading from Win8.1 to Win10 [SOLVED]

Trying to upgrade my Win8.1VM to Win10. I had successfully registered for the update but this fails during the installation.

I have got around this by using the direct update tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

This allows me to download and start an in place upgrade.

All appears well until it reboots during the installation. A blue screen flashes up exception error handling thread error. The VM then reboots and falls back to the Win8.1 VM where a Windows setup message states that Windows 10 could not install.

error

0xC1900101 - 0x20017

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during boot operation

Is there something specific to operating Win8.1 as a VM that needs to be done to ensure that the upgrade to Win10 is successful?

My understanding is that there is currently no way to convert a Win8.1 product key to a Win10 product key so that the upgrade is the only viable option (vs clean install).

In another thread people were receiving upgrade errors for Windows 10 build updates that seemed to be solved by only assigning a single core (I believe most just used the default "0" core) to the VM.

I'm perplexed as to why it helped with updating in that situation, but it's worth attempting.

I can also confirm that the upgrade of a Windows 7 VM to Windows 10 works fine when only enabling one CPU core (core 0). Just wish I would have read this before trying many times before without success and strange / meaningless error messages - well done Microsoft.  >:(

It's more likely the implementation of KVM/QEMU to blame for this, but testing on Microsoft's side would have been nice!

Remember it's now Windows as a service, so they'll fix these things later....  ;) Also you won't know it because you can't say no!

• 5 weeks later...