Can pfSence be ran threw unRaids VM manager?

Hello. Thanks in advance for any assistance, I'm still pretty new to VM's.  :-[

So I'd really like to run a pfSense box and get rid of my craptastic router/modem combo. I have other routers laying around but none are ddwrt compatable or are to old. I'd hate to spend a hundrend or more for something a VM could easily handle. So I had a few questions.

1. I chose "Enable VM's" in the webui. By default is it KVM or Xen? Or is it something I choose on boot up?

2. In the VM manager it says to pick the OS and lists Windows, Linux, Fedora etc. But it allows me to choose the ISO. So could I just say Linux and just install the PF ISO? Or does that tell the install script the drivers to install?

3. I understand unRaid puts divices in groups. So if I added a pci-e double nic card. Could it be assigned to a PF VM to then be configured within the VM. Ie Input/Output. I see the option to pass pci so I would assume so.

Thanks, Kenny.

Yes it can.  archedraft used to run a pfsense VM, and I got it installed a while back but never configured it.

Search for pfsense in this forum and you should bring up some relevant stuff.  There's even an icon for it in the KVM manager.

Xen was removed from one of the Unraid betas or RC a while back, so KVM all the way.

Yep you need a double NIC, I think most of us would agree that an Intel card is the way forward, have a look at the models people are using in your search above.

One problem running pfsense in a VM is if your array is stopped then your internet goes down so consider this before you start splashing cash.

Sorry I can't be more help but it should get you started...

• 1 year later...

losing internet when you're unRAID box reboots isn't a big deal.  yes, it means when you reboot unRAID on my system the internet is down for around 15 mins, but if you don't reboot frequently it's not a problem - or just do out of hours when the family have gone to bed.

I'm glad I took the time to setup a pfSense VM as my home is more secure, but the unexpected benefit is the improved traffic shaping which I really needed on my ADSL2 connection

Edited by DZMM