Too many attached devices

NAS

I was trying to get my preclear commissioning server up again. Obliviously with the new 30 day trial I need to stick to an old version which is fine since all this box does is run the preclear script and sometime format a disk.

Anyway with v6b12 and v6b14 i get "Too many attached devices. Please consider upgrading your registration key."

NTP is set and the server only has one USB and one HDD (obviously since its a commissioning server).

Do we have any interest in looking at this as a potential bug?

Alternatively could we make the format option not dependent on license?

PCI Devices

00:00.0 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RS780 Host Bridge

00:01.0 PCI bridge: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. AMD RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx)

00:0a.0 PCI bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 5)

00:11.0 SATA controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]

00:12.0 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller

00:12.1 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller

00:12.2 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller

00:13.0 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller

00:13.1 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller

00:13.2 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller

00:14.0 SMBus: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)

00:14.1 IDE interface: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller

00:14.3 ISA bridge: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller

00:14.4 PCI bridge: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge

00:14.5 USB controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller

00:18.0 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration

00:18.1 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 10h Processor Address Map

00:18.2 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller

00:18.3 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control

00:18.4 Host bridge: AMD [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] Family 10h Processor Link Control

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RS780L [Radeon 3000]

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

IOMMU Groups

No IOMMU Groups

USB Devices

Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05dc:c75c Lexar Media, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

SCSI Devices

[0:0:0:0]    disk    Lexar    USB Flash Drive  8.07  /dev/sda

[4:0:0:0]    disk    ATA      WDC WD30EZRX-00S 0A80  /dev/sdb

Brian (bjp999) had a similar issue with attached devices ... but this was fixed with v6.1

I agree it's perplexing why you're seeing the issue, as it does look like you only have the two devices attached ... but nevertheless I doubt there are going to be any changes to older Beta versions to resolve this.    For just running the pre-clear script, you could use v5; but if you need to format disks you'll likely need to use a v6 system, so you may need a valid key so you can run v6.1 (or later).

Somewhat frustrating I may need to change my setup after 8 years.

I can try the newer version to see if the big is fixed but was holding back on activating the demo because I dont want to use up this key for testing purposes later.

I suppose another option would be to just work out what options unRAID uses for format and then not use emHTTP at all.

Just noticed something.

Starting with 6.0-beta13:

• The unregistered (free) version, previously called Basic, is now named Trial, and supports up to 3 devices.

Wonder why I am seeign this error on b12 which is pre this feature

I suppose another option would be to just work out what options unRAID uses for format and then not use emHTTP at all.

Not sure why you need to format the drives?  After all that only takes a few seconds.  It is the pre-clear process that is time consuming. 

It is perfectly viable to pre-clear a disk on a v5 system and then use the results in a v6 system.

When I do need to format drives it is to go directly to offline storage. I use unRAID so that it is without question formatted in such a way unRAID will accept if I later want to bring it into the array.

Certainly there are other ways I could do this but I am trying to stick to the way I know works without sourcing a license. If this is deemed to require a license then thats a simple answer.

The only reason I am here is to report is to have this debate and perhaps open a bug.

When I do need to format drives it is to go directly to offline storage. I use unRAID so that it is without question formatted in such a way unRAID will accept if I later want to bring it into the array.

Certainly there are other ways I could do this but I am trying to stick to the way I know works without sourcing a license. If this is deemed to require a license then thats a simple answer.

As long as you are prepared to use the Reiserfs format then this can all be done on v5.

The only reason I am here is to report is to have this debate and perhaps open a bug.
Unless you can show an issue with one of the current releases then bug reports will not be accepted.  The beta releases you mention have all been superseded as far as bug reporting is concerned.  If you want to report an issue against v6 then get a free trial license.

I think it is perfectly viable to do preclearing on a V5 system, even when the disk is going to be used later on a V6 system. Add that point another file system can be chosen - if desired - consequently the disk is shown unformatted, but it takes less than a minute to have it formatted as needed.

Yes but as I said in this specific use case the disks are going directly offline to be mounted ad hoc using USB3 (for moving data to backup etc). Since you cant format a disk with unRAID GUI without bringing it into the array I took an old retired unRAID machine and made it a commissioning machine (just the solution I chose athat worked for me for best part of a decade).

So option #1: offer out of array format as a feature

I am not clear if over time the XFS format options used by unRAID have or will change as they arent documented directly. RFS isnt an option for me at least it was an evil I had to live with for too long as it is :)

As for the bug report the point I am making (rather inelegantly and for sure its an edge case) is that in order to test this a bug tester (in this case it happens to be me) has no option but to consume a USB key that can never be used again unless it is subsequently licensed. They also have to disclose their email etc etc to get anywhere with this. I have no problems in principle with all this and buying a license but thats not the discussion at hand.

I am pretty sure since to use V6 proper you need a trial key to do anything you cant by definition reproduce this bug anyway so there is no option but to report it using an old version.

There is no nice solution so I am going to either buy a key or work out how to do all this from the console.

p.s i realise this has been quite a bit of a rambling thread. I havent really expressed what I mean very well at all.

I am pretty sure since to use V6 proper you need a trial key to do anything you cant by definition reproduce this bug anyway so there is no option but to report it using an old version.

Yes - but the trial key is free!

There is no nice solution so I am going to either buy a key or work out how to do all this from the console.

You do not need to buy anything if you are using a trial key.  The only issue is that if you want to continue using a trial key then it needs renewing after 30 days, but this can be done in seconds using the online key management that is now available for use with v6.

OK so lets ignore my edge case use case for now.

How would we test to see if v6+ counts my licensed disks properly. The system devices look identical post v6 as it did in the betas when it was broken.

Boot he final release and see what it says!

There were certainly changes late in the beta cycle around the area of counting attached devices. For instance at one point any internal SD card devices were being counted, and also I think any DVD drives.  These issues should all have been resolved for v6 final.

Thats the point the final release runs under a fully featured license so I cannot use it to replicate the bug.

I am not sure there is there is a way at all to tell how many disks unRAID is counting until it runs out?

Thats the point the final release runs under a fully featured license so I cannot use it to replicate the bug.

Or a trial license, so the bug CAN be replicated (if there is one).

I am not sure there is there is a way at all to tell how many disks unRAID is counting until it runs out?

If you get a trial license and then the problem still occurs the get a file via Tools->Diagnostics and post the results.

OK that's what I wasn't following. Because there is no feedback in the GUI showing a 3 drive limit I forgot that the 30 day trial is limited to 3 physical disks. Up until this point I was using one of my real keys to test with.

It would seem that the bug is gone although I still have no clue why it also exists in b12 which is pre the 3 drive limit. I suppose that doesnt matter now.

Long story short, bug fixed but only after the license change. You cant use an old version as a "free" commissioning server. I am fine with all that its a small price to pay.