Windows 10 on unRAID 6

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My office computer is remote and the network is private.  My VM is in my home and the network is private.  I can access the office computer from my laptop that is also set to private network.  I can access my VM from my laptop that is set to private network - both on the LAN and over the Internet.

Hello.

Trying to cleanly install Win10 in a VM on unRAID6.0.1, following http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#Installing_a_Windows_VM.

Can't seem to pass the driver loading screen, as if there's no drive installed or something.

When trying to load the drivers from virtio-win-0.1.9, I'm getting "No new device drivers were found".

Using the ISO file from Win10 Media Creation Tool, set up the VM using the defaults of the w8.1 template, 1 core only, increased RAM to 8GB.

Tried using virtio-win-0.1.105 (latest), but same issue.

Thanks

Potentially obvious point but tripped me up the first time:  when you browse to and select the various drivers as you are installing them, be sure to dig down to the amd64 folder for your version of windows.  It doesn't dig through the folders recursively to find the driver.

I just upgraded my Windows 10 VM to the latest virtio drivers (0.1.109) from 0.1.105.  There were no specific drivers for Windows 10, so I used the 8.1 drivers.  Everything is working fine and I'm not having any issues.

I assume that the 8.1 drivers are the ones to use for Windows 10.

Been using Windows 10 as a VM for a few days now and I have to say that I am liking it more than Win 8.1. I was able to upgrade in 8.1 to 10 but it was awful slow. I ended up installing a fresh Win 8.1 VM and then upgrading to 10 and it made a world of difference. If I had to guess it's because I didn't install any drivers for any devices until I finished upgrading to Win 10.

I may face the same issues. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and it is awfully slow. What drivers are you referring to? The visio drivers or anything else? I don't think I ever installed any drivers beyond visio on 8.1. Why did you install first 8.1 and then 10 and not straight to 10? Could this help in my situation with the slowness?

Been using Windows 10 as a VM for a few days now and I have to say that I am liking it more than Win 8.1. I was able to upgrade in 8.1 to 10 but it was awful slow. I ended up installing a fresh Win 8.1 VM and then upgrading to 10 and it made a world of difference. If I had to guess it's because I didn't install any drivers for any devices until I finished upgrading to Win 10.

I may face the same issues. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and it is awfully slow. What drivers are you referring to? The visio drivers or anything else? I don't think I ever installed any drivers beyond visio on 8.1. Why did you install first 8.1 and then 10 and not straight to 10? Could this help in my situation with the slowness?

I was guessing my GPU driver may have been an issue but I was just talking out loud. I tried installing Win 10 first but it wouldn't activate so I just installed a clean version of 8.1 with the latest VirtIO drivers and then immediately updated to 10.

So I have a Windows 10 insider build on a SeaBios based VM.

When I try to apply an update (presumably to release version) I encounter this blue screen of death issue..

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-blue-screen-death-error-c1900101-20017-during-installation-1513691

Solution there is to switch to UEFI.

Any ideas how this might be achieved with my unRAID vm?

Thanks

Did you try to use only one core for the VM when updating?

That did the trick, thanks.

Still having significant problems with Windows 10 VM on KVM :-(

I changed to single cpu to allow the update progress as advised and that worked fine.

I reverted to dual CPU afterwards and have been encountering constant VM stalls which then takedown the entire unRAID server, causing it to reboot.

With 2x CPUs enabled, the VM will inevitably freeze anything from 1-5 mins after boot, regardless of load or whether apps are running or not. Then the server itself will reboot. (I don't have logs on this as, of course, they are gone when the system comes back up - unraid really needs a setting whereby we can force it to write logs to array/cache for troubleshooting purposes).

I went back to single CPU and the VM sees stable - but I really do need 2x CPUs on this vM.

Any ideas?

So I have a Windows 10 insider build on a SeaBios based VM.

When I try to apply an update (presumably to release version) I encounter this blue screen of death issue..

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-blue-screen-death-error-c1900101-20017-during-installation-1513691

Solution there is to switch to UEFI.

Any ideas how this might be achieved with my unRAID vm?

Thanks

Did you try to use only one core for the VM when updating?

That did the trick, thanks.

Still having significant problems with Windows 10 VM on KVM :-(

I changed to single cpu to allow the update progress as advised and that worked fine.

I reverted to dual CPU afterwards and have been encountering constant VM stalls which then takedown the entire unRAID server, causing it to reboot.

With 2x CPUs enabled, the VM will inevitably freeze anything from 1-5 mins after boot, regardless of load or whether apps are running or not. Then the server itself will reboot. (I don't have logs on this as, of course, they are gone when the system comes back up - unraid really needs a setting whereby we can force it to write logs to array/cache for troubleshooting purposes).

I went back to single CPU and the VM sees stable - but I really do need 2x CPUs on this vM.

Any ideas?

Are you pinning CPUs exclusively to the Windows 10 VM and not sharing them with other VMs or unRAID?

You didn't mention whether you are passing through a GPU.  If you are be sure you have the latest driver installed for Windows 10.  Also be sure to have the latest drivers for your sound hardware.

Try running the VM for a while using VNC only and not passing through the GPU or sound.  If it still locks up unRAID, you probably have a motherboard that doesn't support virtualization properly.

I would suggest you create a VM using OVMF boot.  Because of the validation process in Windows 10, I'd start with an 8.1 VM, activate it, and then upgrade to Windows 10.  Windows 10 will then be activated properly.

Be sure you have all the virtio drivers installed.  I initially installed a Windows 8.1 VM (OVMF boot) using the virtio 100 drivers.  I like these drivers because you can select the OS and the drivers are then automatically selected that are needed - you don't have to select each one individually.  I then upgraded to the 105 drivers.  This is nice because you can rollback the drivers to the 100 version if necessary.  After I upgraded to Windows 10, I upgraded the virtio drivers to 109.

Thanks for all that.

I have a GPU passthrough but have had that all along. It's not host hardware issues as I've been running multiple VMs in Xen and KVM all along with up to 4x GPUs simultaneously passed through along with a bunch of other hardware devices, controllers, discrete USB etc. All very stable.

CPUs are exclusively pinned to this VM

All drivers are up to date. This VM ran perfectly fine during the 10 preview phase - only when I attempted to update to release version did these problems rise.

I'll check out virtio driver version to see if that helps. Rebuilding is OMVF is just a lot of hassle at this point but it might be last resort, or just dumb down to 8.1 which is working happily in other VMs if I;m going tat far.

Thanks again.

I'll report back if I find something that works.

I got my Windows 10 running, but once in a while it will stop responding and a FORCE QUIT will leave it in a "shutdown" state, where I can't restart it.  Is there any settings I need to set on it?  I already turned off "put computer to sleep after x mins" and only left "turn off screen".  What else should I set so it doesn't barf at me?

Thanks!

EDIT:  I noticed after an update is when it's happening.  I guess I can stop automatic updates, and when an update is due, I can stop the machine and switch it back to 1 CPU?  Will give that a try.  On another note, is there a way to stop all dockers at once (maybe a command line?)  Every time I reboot my unraid it wants to do a parity check, I've let it 3 times, finding 0 errors, so now I just stop the parity check but I would like to just do a clean powerdown.  When I check lsof or fuser it's python and the dockers are the ones running under python, not allowing me to do a mdcmd stop, says resources in use.

Thanks!

P.S.  If you find your VM asleep, do not destroy it, it will freeze your VM in a shutdown state and you won't be able to access it and have to restart unRAID.  I used to reset the domain and took control of the VM again.

EDIT 2: I asked myself why not do a batch command?  To stop all dockers from command line run this: (I added this to powerdown)

docker ps | awk 'NR>1' | while read x; do docker stop ${x:0:12}; done

Thanks for all that.

I have a GPU passthrough but have had that all along. It's not host hardware issues as I've been running multiple VMs in Xen and KVM all along with up to 4x GPUs simultaneously passed through along with a bunch of other hardware devices, controllers, discrete USB etc. All very stable.

CPUs are exclusively pinned to this VM

All drivers are up to date. This VM ran perfectly fine during the 10 preview phase - only when I attempted to update to release version did these problems rise.

I'll check out virtio driver version to see if that helps. Rebuilding is OMVF is just a lot of hassle at this point but it might be last resort, or just dumb down to 8.1 which is working happily in other VMs if I;m going tat far.

Thanks again.

I'll report back if I find something that works.

Some windows updates and a reinstall of most up to date vitrio drivers seems to have done the trick.

Fingers crossed...

I will be working on a video about Windows VMs soon, as there is some gotchas to this that folks should be aware of.  First and foremost, upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 is a pain as a VM.  I don't know exactly why, but it is a slow process.  In addition, depending on what drivers were loaded into Windows 8.1 before the upgrade can change your experience.

I've noticed painfully slow shut down times where the monitor goes black but the VM still shows running in the webGui.  If I wait long enough, it does eventually shut down.

Bottom line:  Windows 10 is still brand new, and there are no official VirtIO drivers for it just yet.  As such, this is all experimental until the VirtIO team releases official drivers for it.  That said, I've been running it now in two places:  an upgrade from OVMF 8.1 to 10 using the virtio 109 drivers prior to the upgrade as well as a fresh install on SeaBIOS with 0.1.96 drivers.  No luck yet using Q35 machine type for either of those (just i440fx).

Jonp,

Here are some heads up and my own recommendations for Windows 10 VM updates:

- The defrag schedule is turned on.  This is not necessary and will cause wear on a VM SSD drive.

- System restore settings is turned off.  I turn it on so I get saved restore points.

- All privacy settings default to on.  This may not be how a person wants to leave them.

- Windows 10 Pro gives more control over deferring updates.

- Fast Startup is defaulted on.  I recommend turning off Fast Startup in a VM.  Having it on might affect hardware initialization after a shutdown.  I read somewhere that this can affect the startup of a VM.

- Use later virtio drivers before starting the update.  I started from 105 and then updated to 109 after the update.

I will be working on a video about Windows VMs soon, as there is some gotchas to this that folks should be aware of.  First and foremost, upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 is a pain as a VM.  I don't know exactly why, but it is a slow process.  In addition, depending on what drivers were loaded into Windows 8.1 before the upgrade can change your experience.

I've noticed painfully slow shut down times where the monitor goes black but the VM still shows running in the webGui.  If I wait long enough, it does eventually shut down.

Bottom line:  Windows 10 is still brand new, and there are no official VirtIO drivers for it just yet.  As such, this is all experimental until the VirtIO team releases official drivers for it.  That said, I've been running it now in two places:  an upgrade from OVMF 8.1 to 10 using the virtio 109 drivers prior to the upgrade as well as a fresh install on SeaBIOS with 0.1.96 drivers.  No luck yet using Q35 machine type for either of those (just i440fx).

You guys are doing a hella awesome job!  I am running Windows 10 Pro on my VM with video pass-through without issues.  A tad bit slower than 8.1 I have to admit, but with the ease of Windows 10 you barely notice it.

Jonp,

Here are some heads up and my own recommendations for Windows 10 VM updates:

- The defrag schedule is turned on.  This is not necessary and will cause wear on a VM SSD drive.

- System restore settings is turned off.  I turn it on so I get saved restore points.

- All privacy settings default to on.  This may not be how a person wants to leave them.

- Windows 10 Pro gives more control over deferring updates.

- Fast Startup is defaulted on.  I recommend turning off Fast Startup in a VM.  Having it on might affect hardware initialization after a shutdown.  I read somewhere that this can affect the startup of a VM.

- Use later virtio drivers before starting the update.  I started from 105 and then updated to 109 after the update.

Thanks for this!  I will probably include most of this content in the video.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, you need to install the latest windows virtio drivers (you are using stable, not latest).  You can do this by downloading the ISO, editing your VM, then pointing it to that ISO and booting back up in Windows 7.  Locate the Ethernet, virtio balloon, virtio SCSI, and virtio serial devices in device manager, right click, select update driver, and then browse to the root of the virtio drivers cd rom and let it search and install automatically.  I will update the blog and add this to the wiki as well.

Yes, you need to install the latest windows virtio drivers (you are using stable, not latest).  You can do this by downloading the ISO, editing your VM, then pointing it to that ISO and booting back up in Windows 7.  Locate the Ethernet, virtio balloon, virtio SCSI, and virtio serial devices in device manager, right click, select update driver, and then browse to the root of the virtio drivers cd rom and let it search and install automatically.  I will update the blog and add this to the wiki as well.

Upgraded all the drivers to the latest (virtio-win-0.1.109) just as instructed but still get the following error:

Win10%20Error_zpsx1uf6hji.jpg

Upgraded all the drivers to the latest (virtio-win-0.1.109) just as instructed but still get the following error:

A few things.  If you are trying to use the "automatic update" method to upgrade to Windows 10, that is known to be problematic, even on physical Windows 10 installs.  It's better to just download the ISO and run the upgrade process from that directly.

That said, if you're hell bent on using the automatic update method, I google searched your error message and found this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/when-installing-windows-10-i-get-an-error/0e64b225-e767-43a9-be85-8fca5d612664?auth=1

Oh, and one other thing you can try to do the automatic update:  Override the Compatibility Check.

Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

It should exist, but if not, create it.

Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Once the registry key is modified, check for updates. 

A few things.  If you are trying to use the "automatic update" method to upgrade to Windows 10, that is known to be problematic, even on physical Windows 10 installs.  It's better to just download the ISO and run the upgrade process from that directly.

That said, if you're hell bent on using the automatic update method, I google searched your error message and found this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/when-installing-windows-10-i-get-an-error/0e64b225-e767-43a9-be85-8fca5d612664?auth=1

Ok, getting a little closer one step at a time haha.  I downloaded the Win 10 ISO and ran the install from that.  The setup ran and completed and the VM restarted as it should.  It then proceded to boot back into Win7 and upon login this message comes up:

Win10%20Error2_zpskfuuu8o3.jpg

Ok, getting a little closer one step at a time haha.  I downloaded the Win 10 ISO and ran the install from that.  The setup ran and completed and the VM restarted as it should.  It then proceded to boot back into Win7 and upon login this message comes up:

Win10%20Error2_zpskfuuu8o3.jpg

That's usually the message I got if my virtio drivers were not updated prior and/or if I had more than one CPU core assigned.

• 1 month later...

hi - wondering if anyone is able to give me a quick pointer in the right direction?

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) installed on a physical machine. I plan to sell this machine off, but without an OS. My goal is to use the product key from that install and the free windows 10 upgrade within an Unraid VM.

I'm a bit confused on the order of things. Should i first un-register/uninstall the product key from the existing physical PC? Or should i do the upgrade to Windows 10, then unregister it ... and then my assumption is I have to jump through some hoops with Microsoft to inform them that the key is being used on "new" hardware and hence it needs to be activated for the Windows 10 VM i setup on unraid?

hope this makes sense :)

thanks

thanks