HOW-TO : Samba announced over Avahi with unRAID

I followed the instructions for installing Avahi and Netatalk to the letter. Everything seems to have started up fine, yet I cannot use the unRaid server for Time Machine.

It just doesn't show up as an available drive. Has anyone else been able to get Time Machine working, and if so, could post some screen caps of it?

Thank you.

Well... go be a dear and build a package for Netatalk 2.0.5 with TimeMachine support built-in ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tip!

Also, thanks for the tutorial write ups.

As a total n00b to unraid and linux, they have been extremely helpful.

:)

I followed the instructions for installing Avahi and Netatalk to the letter. Everything seems to have started up fine, yet I cannot use the unRaid server for Time Machine.

It just doesn't show up as an available drive. Has anyone else been able to get Time Machine working, and if so, could post some screen caps of it?

Thank you.

Well... go be a dear and build a package for Netatalk 2.0.5 with TimeMachine support built-in ;)

Well due to my complete lack of linux skills, I assumed this would be straightforward like all the rest of the tutorial. I didn't realize that I actually have to compile the package, which is something I have never done before. I went about trying to do this in the unraid environment, but am not having much luck.

Thank you.

Well due to my complete lack of linux skills, I assumed this would be straightforward like all the rest of the tutorial. I didn't realize that I actually have to compile the package, which is something I have never done before. I went about trying to do this in the unraid environment, but am not having much luck.

I'll try and build the package in a VM somewhere this week... no promises, never done it before ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey ALL!

Thanks for working on this so that us mac users can have a easy way connecting to our unraid box. 

I have followed the instructions as stated and at the end of it I can see in my finder the uraid box ( i think).  It shows up when I drop in the .service file in the services folder.  So I'm assuming it seems to announce the server.  The problem is I can't connect to the server. 

At the end of trying to connect it states the connection failed. 

When I click on connect as... it wont show the username password dialogue. 

I do connect to my server using an IP address: 10.0.1.4 and I tried using that as the name of the server where we use tower.local but still could not connect.  I tried changing the ports, and still no go. 

Is there anything I'm missing?  I'm not getting any errors when I install all 4 packages, or when I start the Daemon or restart avahi.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey ALL!

Thanks for working on this so that us mac users can have a easy way connecting to our unraid box. 

I have followed the instructions as stated and at the end of it I can see in my finder the uraid box ( i think).  It shows up when I drop in the .service file in the services folder.  So I'm assuming it seems to announce the server.  The problem is I can't connect to the server. 

I do connect to my server using an IP address: 10.0.1.4 and I tried using that as the name of the server where we use tower.local but still could not connect.  I tried changing the ports, and still no go. 

Is there anything I'm missing?  I'm not getting any errors when I install all 4 packages, or when I start the Daemon or restart avahi.

Hey ALL!

Thanks

Could you please upload your syslog after trying to connect to unRaid? The answer to your problem will probably be there!

Thanks

Here is the samba.service file...

<port>139</port>

<host-name>Tower.local</host-name>

in this spot I tried changing the host name to 10.0.1.4 or media and changed the port as well

Remove the host-name attribute entirely... I forgot to update the tutorial, but this is not necessary! The %h will substute the service name with the name set in unRAID.

Not sure if this will fix your problem, though!!!

Hey dlmh,

Thanks for the input... I also noted that there is a AFP and netatalk posts and edits.  I was wondering if there are any advantages to installing the AFP and netatalk?  Are they working well?

I'm able to see the unraid server on time machine right now, but it shows it as a one large share and not individual use shares...

anyways didn't mean to change the thread topic

thanks

Hey dlmh,

Thanks for the input... I also noted that there is a AFP and netatalk posts and edits.  I was wondering if there are any advantages to installing the AFP and netatalk?  Are they working well?

I'm able to see the unraid server on time machine right now, but it shows it as a one large share and not individual use shares...

anyways didn't mean to change the thread topic

thanks

Hey Little Buddha,

There are two benefits for using AFP instead of Samba when on Mac:

1: speed (I get about 33 MB/s on SMB, versus 55 MB/s on AFP)

2: TimeMachine support (without the hacking required for SMB/NFS)

There are, however, some drawbacks:

1: permission and ownership issues when using Samba and AFP alongside (especially when running apps like SabNZBd that creates files/dirs with root owner)

2: no User Share support (you can still use this function through Samba, though)

3: user management requires manual updating of the

/etc/shadow

file to enable the users to use AFP

Tom mentioned in a thread somewhere that he'll change the way the permissions and ownership are set in unRAID 5.0, as well as changing user management. This will fix 1 & 3, but I'm pretty sure 2 can never be solved, due to the way unRAID is setup (with local filesystems on every disk).

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to install Avahi, but despite several pages of detailed How-to's, I'm clueless.

Basically, I don't know how to install these packages.  Do I use the Terminal in OSX? Or do I need to install some type of Linux inside of Virtual Box?

I take it these items get installed on the flash that has the unRAID software on it?

I'm sorry to say that I don't know a thing, not a single thing, about Linux.  Being that I now have an unRAID server ready to play with, I'm guessing that it might be a good idea for me to learn some Linux basics, or else every little thing I try to do with it is going to take me 100x longer than the rest of the world.

I would like to install Avahi, but despite several pages of detailed How-to's, I'm clueless.

Basically, I don't know how to install these packages.  Do I use the Terminal in OSX? Or do I need to install some type of Linux inside of Virtual Box?

I take it these items get installed on the flash that has the unRAID software on it?

I'm sorry to say that I don't know a thing, not a single thing, about Linux.  Being that I now have an unRAID server ready to play with, I'm guessing that it might be a good idea for me to learn some Linux basics, or else every little thing I try to do with it is going to take me 100x longer than the rest of the world.

You can do this either directly on the unRAID server, but you'll have to hook it up to keyboard and display. OR, you can connect to the unRAID server by the following command:

1:

telnet [ip-address-of-your-server]

However, the commands supported through Telnet are limited (such as

vi

), so you're better off doing this directly on the server. SSH would be better than Telnet, but I believe this isn't installed by default on unRAID.

There's another option: just create the files (packages, config files, etc.) on the USB stick and update your

GO

script to install the packages on boot as shown in the last part of the tutorial.

• 4 weeks later...

Just followed the how-to and 5 minutes later I have a permanent xserve-iconed Tower in my Finder!!

Many thanks for this - will make it much easier for my wife to mount the shares she wants to look at etc.

Considering trying the AFP how-to next. But might just stick to SMB since my write speed is ok and I don't use TimeMachine.

The user share and permission issues look a bit of a pain.

Thanks again!

Justin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have done everything as directed in post #1 (with the exception of all <null)

I can log into the unRaid from my mac using the command+k and the IP address up it doesn't show up in Network as a shared server.

Is there anything I'm not catching? Everything seems to install correctly and restarts Avahi fine. I'm not sure where to start looking to help guide you to my problem. Please let me know what info you need and I'll get it posted.

Thanks,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...