HOW-TO : Samba announced over Avahi with unRAID

Hey guys, I think I am a bit hung up on step 2.  You mentioned you could create the samba.services file in text edit.  what does it need to be saved as?  Do I have to manually create the directory on the flash drive. 

does any of the information in the samba.services script need to be edited for my configuration? 

Thanks for the help. 

here is what I got while trying to start the services.  I am pretty sure everything installed correctly.

root@Tower:/# /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system

root@Tower:/# /etc/rc.d/rc.avahidaemon restart

Stopping Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: stopped

Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D

Failed to start message bus: The pid file "/var/run/dbus/dbus.pid" exists, if the message bus is not running, remove this file

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I think I am a bit hung up on step 2.  You mentioned you could create the samba.services file in text edit.  what does it need to be saved as?  Do I have to manually create the directory on the flash drive. 

does any of the information in the samba.services script need to be edited for my configuration? 

Thanks for the help. 

here is what I got while trying to start the services.  I am pretty sure everything installed correctly.

Failed to start message bus: The pid file "/var/run/dbus/dbus.pid" exists, if the message bus is not running, remove this file

You can create the service file on unRAID using the vi command (as you can read in the walkthrough, mind you). You can also create it in a text editor on your OS, but the file has to be saved as UTF8 with LF linebreaks, otherwise the daemon won't be able to read the file.

The service file can be copied over as is, no need to change anything.

You can use Avahi without dbus by editing the avahi-daemon.conf file.

Also, you should read this thread on common issues, because all of your questions have been answered before and it's not that a big thread.

I did create the file in vi.  I wrote it exactly as in your instructions.  Did I need to edit something inside of that file?  Also, where do I find the service.samba file after it is created using vi?  How can I save it to the flash to get reloaded on reboot?  I saw someone mentioned disabling dbus in avahi-daemon.conf.  how do I edit this file?  I have 0 linux experience.  

Thanks for your help

I did create the file in vi.  I wrote it exactly as in your instructions.  Did I need to edit something inside of that file?  Also, where do I find the service.samba file after it is created using vi?  How can I save it to the flash to get reloaded on reboot?  I saw someone mentioned disabling dbus in avahi-daemon.conf.  how do I edit this file?  I have 0 linux experience.  

Thanks for your help

Where it is created is entirely dependent on where you were in the filesystem on the moment you called the vi command.

If you want to save it on the flash drive you'll have to be specific about the location, like this:

vi /boot/config/samba.service

You will have to copy the samba.service file to the Avahi's service folder on every boot!