Share Your Banners

wgstarks

3 hours ago, CrashnBrn said:

Thanks! That's a great question, when I tried that image it got even more zoomed in! Here is what a part of it looks like.

zoomed.thumb.png.eb9a7c2e26409876912697da718a2dc7.png

I just quickly scaled it in gimp. I found 400 for height looked pretty clear. Opening the image in a browser window it wasn't distorted to much. Although the image is still very large. I don't have anyway to see if it will work at the moment.

sound_2-wallpaper-3440x400.png

As much as I enjoy being able to set custom banners, the scaling issue is a real challenge.  I'm often moving my browser windows around and setting them to different sizes.  Sometimes I have my Unraid window full screen (on a 4K monitor), and sometimes half-width on the screen, and sometimes quarter screen, and on rare occasions a truly custom size where I've grabbed the browser edge and widened/compressed with window width to fit what I'm working on.  I also will look at it on other resolution screens or mobile devices.

Because the banner image stretches to fit the full width, it becomes impossible to have a 1 resolution image that works perfectly on all screen ratios and resolutions.  The current implementation really feels like a 1990's solution.

This is extra frustrating with banners that have circular elements, like the 2001 Space Odyssey / HAL and Iron Man / Jarvis banners I created for another user several weeks back.  If your browser width is set to the exact same width as the banner, it looks perfect.  Anything else and you get ovals, and text in the banner is stretched/compressed in an ugly fashion.  On that Jarvis banner, I even positioned a couple "folder" graphical elements to sit behind the Unraid version & server info text, but again this only works if you have the right browser width, otherwise the text doesn't center on these elements.

Because I work with web design tools like WordPress, I know that better solutions are possible.  Instead of stretching, the image could be scaled keeping the aspect ratio fixed.  Possibly the Unraid text elements could scale with the image, maintaining positions on top of graphical elements.  If cropping is necessary, I think cropping top/bottom is preferable to cropping the sides, though I'm sure there could be some banners where cropping width is a better solution - perhaps that could be a setting we can toggle.

It even crossed my mind that it might be possible to have a multi-segment banner, where you have separate "Left", "Center", and "Right" images that get closer/further away from each other as the browser width changes.  This could allow for you to set a static background for the Unraid text elements on the left and right, and a floating center image that ties it all together.  Perhaps you would even need 5 elements to make this work correctly: "Left", "Left Gap Filler", Center", "Right Gap Filler", "Right".  The Gap Fillers could stretch between the Center and Left/Right, connecting them seamlessly.  That way we as banner designers can achieve the near impossible: correct aspect ratio and positioning behind the text elements with a modern responsive behavior to browser width changes.  It would be very easy for a banner designer to chop a banner into 5 segments.

Unfortunately, I don't have the programming skills to contribute to enhancing Unraid.  All I can do is sit here and share ideas, hoping to get some discussion going on this challenge.  Perhaps one of the really smart guys can even make it happen...  :)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Pauven said:

As much as I enjoy being able to set custom banners, the scaling issue is a real challenge.  I'm often moving my browser windows around and setting them to different sizes.  Sometimes I have my Unraid window full screen (on a 4K monitor), and sometimes half-width on the screen, and sometimes quarter screen, and on rare occasions a truly custom size where I've grabbed the browser edge and widened/compressed with window width to fit what I'm working on.  I also will look at it on other resolution screens or mobile devices.

Because the banner image stretches to fit the full width, it becomes impossible to have a 1 resolution image that works perfectly on all screen ratios and resolutions.  The current implementation really feels like a 1990's solution.

This is extra frustrating with banners that have circular elements, like the 2001 Space Odyssey / HAL and Iron Man / Jarvis banners I created for another user several weeks back.  If your browser width is set to the exact same width as the banner, it looks perfect.  Anything else and you get ovals, and text in the banner is stretched/compressed in an ugly fashion.  On that Jarvis banner, I even positioned a couple "folder" graphical elements to sit behind the Unraid version & server info text, but again this only works if you have the right browser width, otherwise the text doesn't center on these elements.

Because I work with web design tools like WordPress, I know that better solutions are possible.  Instead of stretching, the image could be scaled keeping the aspect ratio fixed.  Possibly the Unraid text elements could scale with the image, maintaining positions on top of graphical elements.  If cropping is necessary, I think cropping top/bottom is preferable to cropping the sides, though I'm sure there could be some banners where cropping width is a better solution - perhaps that could be a setting we can toggle.

It even crossed my mind that it might be possible to have a multi-segment banner, where you have separate "Left", "Center", and "Right" images that get closer/further away from each other as the browser width changes.  This could allow for you to set a static background for the Unraid text elements on the left and right, and a floating center image that ties it all together.  Perhaps you would even need 5 elements to make this work correctly: "Left", "Left Gap Filler", Center", "Right Gap Filler", "Right".  The Gap Fillers could stretch between the Center and Left/Right, connecting them seamlessly.  That way we as banner designers can achieve the near impossible: correct aspect ratio and positioning behind the text elements with a modern responsive behavior to browser width changes.  It would be very easy for a banner designer to chop a banner into 5 segments.

Unfortunately, I don't have the programming skills to contribute to enhancing Unraid.  All I can do is sit here and share ideas, hoping to get some discussion going on this challenge.  Perhaps one of the really smart guys can even make it happen...  :)

Perhaps this would be better submitted as a feature request in that forum. Get eyes on the problem that can make the changes.

2 hours ago, Pauven said:

Because I work with web design tools like WordPress, I know that better solutions are possible.  Instead of stretching, the image could be scaled keeping the aspect ratio fixed.  Possibly the Unraid text elements could scale with the image, maintaining positions on top of graphical elements.  If cropping is necessary, I think cropping top/bottom is preferable to cropping the sides, though I'm sure there could be some banners where cropping width is a better solution - perhaps that could be a setting we can toggle

This would make perfect sense. 

I have made some sound absorption panels that are 2x4 ft with custom photo's I had printed. In order to get my photo's to look really good printed to this size I need to increase the dpi to a huge number of 600 dpi, which in turn created a whooper of a file size of close to 1 gig. But my printed panels look excellent. Getting to the point that banners may need different dpi according to resolutions of monitors. Not that we need a huge file size for a banner. But with a higher dpi the stretch would decrease the look of distortion of the image.

I don't know that DPI really matters for monitors like it does for printing.  Most DPI for monitors is 120 or below.

What is probably more important is simply having a physical size large enough to cover a high-resolution 4K monitor.  So if every banner image was sized to 3840 x 200, that would be high enough resolution to cover 4K widths, and easily scale down to lower resolutions, i.e. 1920 x 100 for a standard Full HD monitor.

I don't know if there is an official banner height, but when I investigated it a while back I was coming up with a size of 91 pixels high, which seems a little odd.  Perhaps it is correct, I don't know.  If 91 pixels high, then that could mean we want to target 3840 x 182 as a banner size, and scale down from there. 

But then again, that might cause problems for even lower resolutions, as narrower windows would zoom in further, and keeping the aspect ratio locked would cause the image to run out of pixels height-wise.  Perhaps we have to plan for a minimum width, i.e. 960 x 91, which would scale up to 1920 x 382 and 3840 x 764  1920 x 182 and 3840 x 364.

If every Banner was 3840 x 764 3840 x 364, that is a still reasonable 3 megapixel   1.4 megapixel image.

EDITED to correct some crazy typos.  I'm actually decent at math... no really.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:43 AM, wgstarks said:

Perhaps this would be better submitted as a feature request in that forum. Get eyes on the problem that can make the changes.

I'm sure you're right, but I was thinking it might be nice to have some artist community commentary on the requirements before making a feature request.  Perhaps other banner creators have some unique needs that I haven't thought about.

Edited by Pauven
On 2/4/2020 at 6:57 AM, Harro said:

Let me try something else. What size is your monitor?

34"

On 2/3/2020 at 6:32 PM, motodog said:

I just quickly scaled it in gimp. I found 400 for height looked pretty clear. Opening the image in a browser window it wasn't distorted to much. Although the image is still very large. I don't have anyway to see if it will work at the moment.

sound_2-wallpaper-3440x400.png

That exceeded the 512kb file size. I'll scale the quality down and give it a try after work today. Thanks!

Quote from the 'Help' on the   Settings    >>>   Display Settings   then 'Custom banner

Image will be scaled to 1920x90 pixels. The maximum image file upload size is 512 kB (524,288 bytes).

So I would suggest that you make your banners 1920x90.  I have a 2560x1600 monitor.  As I vary the width of the browser window, the distortion is minimal going up from 1920 to 2560 but much more noticeable as I squeeze down to the minimum window width (800 pixels (?)) that Unraid supports, the distortion becomes very noticeable.  (I suspect many banners are made smaller than 1920 because of this distortion with lower resolution monitors.  (Which, of course, cause major distortion problems with the high resolution monitors.  One thing that can help is  to avoid using any graphic element with a circle --or any other shape with a 'known' height-to-width ratio-- in it.) 

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2018 at 7:10 AM, matto2494 said:

Celebrating the new refresh design of our beloved Unraid.

image.thumb.png.640be69930bd5229d7fd0f459990a7a9.png

Banner 1.png

Banner 2.png

I don't have the skills for this, but would anybody be willing to upgrade these for the new style banner of Unraid?  My thoughts were remove the unraid logo, and center up the icons.  If one wanted to get real fancy, we could have one banner for Intel, and one for Ryzen.

Thanks in advance!

~Spritz

11 hours ago, Spritzup said:

I don't have the skills for this, but would anybody be willing to upgrade these for the new style banner of Unraid?

You might want to reach out to the content creator to see if they still have the original design so they can do a quick adjustment.

ps.... and oh how I miss the old Lime 🍏 Tech Logo! 😢

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

486740440_MVBOFG1920x136.thumb.png.77c0cc4231de7bd23f55c00608b1b13c.png

Banner.thumb.png.1ab3d1770ea4069b8d01cb798662eb27.pngI used the aspect ratio of the default surfer sunset one (1270x90). This banner is 1920x136. Original wallpaper here:

https://cdn.wallpapersafari.com/46/7/MVBOFG.jpg

MVBOFG.thumb.png.6281d90d7b8df866e1a44bce9a774f9b.png

I just came across this Poly Background Image Generator. You can choose a size, color, and other options.
https://bggenerator.com/poly_background.php

Edited by AwesomeAustn
Added Banner with Text / Generator
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 4/1/2020 at 3:14 PM, Spritzup said:

I don't have the skills for this, but would anybody be willing to upgrade these for the new style banner of Unraid?  My thoughts were remove the unraid logo, and center up the icons.  If one wanted to get real fancy, we could have one banner for Intel, and one for Ryzen.

Thanks in advance!

~Spritz

you want me to remove the unraid logo and centre up the other icons?

Edit: Like that?

3.png

Edited by matto2494