I need help setting up rsync

completely dumbfounded but I would like to back up files on my windows machines to unraid and sync two unraid servers.

I've read several tutorials but nothing specific to my needs. So first ..  how do i invoke such a task....  from the begining.

Is there an rsync.conf file already or do I have to create one? where do I create it?  What do I put in it? be gentle.

I have written about how I use rsync to sync files between my two unRIAD servers here:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38554.msg358683#msg358683

It might look a bit complicated but once you understand the basics of rsync it’s not very hard to do.

There are several options to back up a Windows machine to unRAID. There are many using SyncBackSE that is a windows application. I have used it myself and it is very easy to use.

I know that there are some rsync clients for Windows also that might be an alternative.

A third one is to use a Docker called Syncthing and a Syncthing client on the PC. I have installed it and done some testing and it looks very good but I am not running it “live” yet but this will probably be the one I will use.

There are many members here that have a lot of experience on this subject so do a search as well to get some more ideas.

I can see the principles and syntax and I understand how they are supposed to work .. however I need a starting

point .. say I want to copy my downloads folder on my pc to my unraid server.  I'm thinking the unraid server should be the host since I have several machines I would like to sync certain folders on.  The problem I'm having is where to start.

What's the first thing I should do or be concerned about.

My first scenario would be: Sync downloads from win 7 D:\downloads to UNRAID_server disk5\downloads.

Do I need to invoke rsync daemon or is it already running .. or even installed? How to tell?

On the windows machine I have looked at deltacopy as being client side software to communicate to the unraid machine.

Is there something else or is this even necessary?

I'm going to be asking a lot of dumb questions.  My apologies for not being more apt at linux stuff.

I've seen plenty of tutorials but they all seem to assume i'm some kind of genius.

I fully understand you, I started with unRAID less than a year ago…

I haven’t used DeltaCopy but looking on some screen dumps it looks like you might be able to use it. I can see parts of the setup, like specifying source (files to sync) and when, however I don’t see where to specify the destination. Would guess that you either browse to a share (or folder) on your unRAID system or you specify the IP and the share. Try to install it a play with it!

There is probably nothing you need to setup on the unRAID side, but I haven’t tested…

When you say “disk5\downloads” I assume that you have created a share named downloads on disk 5. If you would like to copy data to that share it’s better to use “user\downloads”.

Edit: If the above is tricky to get working I suggest SyncBackSE instead. A lot easier to setup and the free version will do what you ask for.

I had the same problem and understand your point.

Unfortunately I'm not at home to check things and write a comprehensive HowTo,

but I will assist as far as I know.

If you like, you can do a write-up of the steps you do in the process, and then

we post it into the wiki?

I started with this post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28307.msg251400#msg251400

On receiving side, you need a service (in linux wording it's called a daemon) running and listening on a specific port.

On an incoming rsync connection it will do it's magic.

Set it up like this: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28307.msg251400#msg251400

The rsyncd.conf (daemon config) is also located on the receiving side.

Use a linux editor to copy and paste the code into files.

Once the daemon is running you can try to send data to the receiving side.

I'm using qtdsync, which is a GUI-based rsync client for Windows.

rsync options

I fully understand you, I started with unRAID less than a year ago…

I haven’t used DeltaCopy but looking on some screen dumps it looks like you might be able to use it. I can see parts of the setup, like specifying source (files to sync) and when, however I don’t see where to specify the destination. Would guess that you either browse to a share (or folder) on your unRAID system or you specify the IP and the share. Try to install it a play with it!

There is probably nothing you need to setup on the unRAID side, but I haven’t tested…

When you say “disk5\downloads” I assume that you have created a share named downloads on disk 5. If you would like to copy data to that share it’s better to use “user\downloads”.

Edit: If the above is tricky to get working I suggest SyncBackSE instead. A lot easier to setup and the free version will do what you ask for.

I'm going to have to school myself on user shares ..  Right now I'm sharing everything.

I'm looking into SyncBackSE

Thanks for the reply