[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

Hi everyone - does anyone happen to have an idiots guide to moving the metadata and media folders off of the cache in unraid?

I have a small cache disk and it's pretty much being eaten by those folders. I don't want to move the entire appdata off, but I figure if I can just move those 2 i'll save a ton of space (and they can always be replaced).

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

19 hours ago, Sap1ent said:

Hi everyone - does anyone happen to have an idiots guide to moving the metadata and media folders off of the cache in unraid?

I have a small cache disk and it's pretty much being eaten by those folders. I don't want to move the entire appdata off, but I figure if I can just move those 2 i'll save a ton of space (and they can always be replaced).

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

That's easy, there is an app called appdatabackup if i'm not mistaken. That will do exactly that, i backup weekly to my unraid and then if sh#t hit the fan i can restore

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experiencing a problem with file playback.  It seems that random movie and TV episodes are failing to play.  I have a pre-roll that runs in front of any movie that starts, which pretty reliably loads, but both locally and remotely there seems to be a random assortment of videos that won't play.  I have even re-ripped a few DVDs and blurays to try h265, x265, mp4, mkv and at different bitrates, and yet I can't find what is causing the issue.  I'm receiving a ton of errors in the Plex docker logs stating the following:

[mp3 @ 0x152397af5240] Header missing
Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing input

I've been hunting for answers across some of the Reddit Plex subs as well as here to no avail.  If can provide me with some additional things to troubleshoot I'd greatly appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 8.36.08 PM.png

I used to pay for a seedbox with plex.

switching to a home solution now. Unraid + this docker

previous i could choose (99% of the time i used this) play in original format wihtout transcoding

in the player. the option is now gone with this container

when i turn transcoding off it tells me my server is not capable/ powerfull enough to transcode the video with a 4k video. 1080 works with 0-1% cpu

in rare cases i use transcoding even for 4k - but  dont want my 12 Core/24t to be 60% plus used when turning this on

using the same rig as work pc with GPU passed trough to my main VM - so HW encoding is no option

where can i get this "play in original" back ?

New unraid user here, but im trying to get Plex up and running. I have a fairly basic install for now, just mapped the movies and tv folders, and my container doesnt start up.

This is is unraid 6.10 RC1

Logs:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: executing...
[cont-init.d] 01-envfile: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io

To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-chown-files: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: executing...
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-claim: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: executing...
[cont-init.d] 50-gid-video: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing...
Docker is used for versioning skip update check
[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 90-custom-folders: executing...
[cont-init.d] 90-custom-folders: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
Starting Plex Media Server.
Critical: libusb_init failed

Anyone have any resolution for this?

Whenever I load Plex Media Server on a browser, the home page fails to load. The home page states, "There was an error loading your home screen. Please try again in a few minutes." I do not have this issue accessing the home page from my phone or my NVIDIA shield.

I can access my libraries in the webUI, but the home screen is broken.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:17 PM, alturismo said:

may try adding /web or /manage in the end, looks like some very old error from plex ...

and i hope you also tested this from a other device too besides your mobile ;)

Well, that is embarrassing.... adding /web was it.

When managing my Plex server on my synology i can leave off the /web and it redirects.

Thanks for the help

My issue hasn't gone away, but my troubleshooting has led me to trying to do an integrity check on my Plex DB to see if there's an error.  When attempting to do the check, I'm getting an "unable to open database file" error.  I'm running the PRAGMA integrity_check from inside the Unraid console (actually following Spaceinvaderone's tutorial) and hitting this wall.  I'm logged in as root and I believe the permissions are set correctly for this directory and this DB, yet still nothing actionable.  Has anyone else run into this?

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 11.09.33 PM.png

9 hours ago, Syed said:

tried it with advanced view on and off... part of the template is missing

What about “Show more settings”?

According to the instructions in the OP the template was edited on 11/6 but  NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES is still required so I would think it’s still there somewhere. If not you could try adding it as a variable.

Note: Extra parameters are also still required.

Looks to me as if LSIO has decided to remove that variable from the template but you can add it back.

Quote from dockerhub- 

Nvidia

Hardware acceleration users for Nvidia will need to install the container runtime provided by Nvidia on their host, instructions can be found here:

https://github.com/NVIDIA/nvidia-docker

We automatically add the necessary environment variable that will utilise all the features available on a GPU on the host. Once nvidia-docker is installed on your host you will need to re/create the docker container with the nvidia container runtime --runtime=nvidia and add an environment variable -e NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=all (can also be set to a specific gpu's UUID, this can be discovered by running nvidia-smi --query-gpu=gpu_name,gpu_uuid --format=csv ). NVIDIA automatically mounts the GPU and drivers from your host into the plex docker.

Hello, 
Looking for some support on HW transcoding.

System:

Dell R530 dual E5-2680v4
Quadro P2000

I have followed all of the guides including setting environment variables, the card is visible to unRAID including statistics and 'watch nvidia-smi'. 

Once I initiate a transcode I can see that the GPU is called for 1-2 seconds, but then it returns to idle. 

I have tried different versions of Nvidia drivers and different version of Plex docker, with the same results. 

There has to be something simple I am missing?

Here's at least one piece of the Plex logs indicating the failure:

Nov 11, 2021 06:43:22.715 [0x1529ff51eb38] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: testing h264 (decoder) with hwdevice vaapi
Nov 11, 2021 06:43:22.716 [0x1529ff51eb38] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: hardware transcoding: testing API vaapi
Nov 11, 2021 06:43:22.716 [0x1529ff51eb38] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: hardware transcoding: opening hw device failed - probably not supported by this system, error: Generic error in an external library
Nov 11, 2021 06:43:22.717 [0x1529ff51eb38] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: testing h264 (decoder) with hwdevice nvdec
Nov 11, 2021 06:43:22.718 [0x1529ff51eb38] DEBUG - [Transcode] Codecs: hardware transcoding: testing API nvdec

Thanks in advance,

tower-diagnostics-20211111-0633.zip Plex_Media_server_short.txt

After some investigation I have determined that my Plex DB is corrupt.  Following Spaceinvader One's tutorial got me to "Error: database disk image is malformed" when running PRAGMA integrity_check.  So, I followed his tutorial and tried a dump/read of the database.  When the new db is being created, it seems to fill with data almost all the way, then stop and show as an empty db.  I was able to verify this happens every time I attempt to create a new DB from the old DB's data via Krusader.  So, I decided to take a copy of the DB to my Mac and use SQLite browser to try an export/import.  When I do, the export is successful, but at import I get an error "Error importing data: Error in statement #139: no such module: spellfix1. Aborting execution and rolling back."

I have no recourse to fix this issue, but I need someone who knows a bit more about SQL to help me find a way to get this DB back in shape.  I'm convinced that the db corruption is the root of all my issues, but I can't figure out why it's so difficult to get this back in some sort of working order.

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 2.02.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 2.06.20 PM.png

2 hours ago, ConnerVT said:

Do you have Plex Pass?  Plex only HW transcode when you have Plex Pass - the free/unsubscribed version doesn't.

(You *did* say "something simple"...)

Sorry, yes I do have plex pass.

I don't think there are any extra parameters to add to the docker template, right?

54 minutes ago, mortist said:

Sorry, yes I do have plex pass.

I don't think there are any extra parameters to add to the docker template, right?

Quote from instructions on dockerhub -

Hardware Acceleration

Intel

Hardware acceleration users for Intel Quicksync will need to mount their /dev/dri video device inside of the container by passing the following command when running or creating the container:

--device=/dev/dri:/dev/dri

We will automatically ensure the abc user inside of the container has the proper permissions to access this device.

Nvidia

Hardware acceleration users for Nvidia will need to install the container runtime provided by Nvidia on their host, instructions can be found here:

https://github.com/NVIDIA/nvidia-docker

We automatically add the necessary environment variable that will utilise all the features available on a GPU on the host. Once nvidia-docker is installed on your host you will need to re/create the docker container with the nvidia container runtime --runtime=nvidia and add an environment variable -e NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES=all (can also be set to a specific gpu's UUID, this can be discovered by running nvidia-smi --query-gpu=gpu_name,gpu_uuid --format=csv ). NVIDIA automatically mounts the GPU and drivers from your host into the plex docker.